Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun shots on NYE

Default Re: Gun shots on NYE

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I highly doubt you heard an automatic weapon. Some idiot rapidly discharging a semi-auto sure. I’m sure this is a hot take but none of the areas described are areas that I would consider good or safe areas, and if someone told me they heard gunshots I can’t say that I’m surprised.
    I never stated in my response that I heard an automatic, sorry, let me say this - to me it was just a really fast pistol.

My area and subsequently where Pete is at are certainly very safe. I own several properties in NW OKC and they're all about the same level and they're all in good spots. I think we're just as likely to experience crime here as opposed to Edmond.

I saw in a later post you're speaking about southwest 23rd and Portland ish. I'm NW 36th, its very safe over here but yeah the gunshots you aren't getting away from.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I fear this is an escalating and troubling trend.
    It seems to have picked up more, my next door neighbor found a bullet on his dinning room table and called me to come over to look, It came through the roof and bounced off his table. This was around July 4th, I can't remember if it was 2020 or 2021 they all run together now.

My dad lives off 16th between Portland and Meridian and he said it was very quiet this NYE down there which is very surprising to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tvkokc View Post
    I never stated in my response that I heard an automatic, sorry, let me say this - to me it was just a really fast pistol.

My area and subsequently where Pete is at are certainly very safe. I own several properties in NW OKC and they're all about the same level and they're all in good spots. I think we're just as likely to experience crime here as opposed to Edmond.

I saw in a later post you're speaking about southwest 23rd and Portland ish. I'm NW 36th, its very safe over here but yeah the gunshots you aren't getting away from.
    The reference to the auto fire was directed at Pete. Apologize if that was confusing. You are right with how fast people can fire pistols nowadays, I can see why people would be confused.

And I mis-typed, I did mean NW23rd to NW36th. I'm glad you are satisfied living there and feel safe. We all have different risk tolerances and that's fine, I was just sharing my opinion. I also do not live there, but I do frequent that area. So again this is my perception.

I've definitely heard my fair share of perceptions that I consider negative about where I live from outsiders, and I admit at first glance it's taken personal. But I know the area I live better than these people and feel safe and okay with that. At the same time I find it interesting as to why they'd think that way.

I said what I said because that's my perception, and quite frankly in my circle of friends and family they would tend to agree with my perception. All sorts of nuances and biases go into these perceptions. Anyways I did not mean any disrespect by my comments, just a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    The reference to the auto fire was directed at Pete. Apologize if that was confusing. You are right with how fast people can fire pistols nowadays, I can see why people would be confused.

And I mis-typed, I did mean NW23rd to NW36th. I'm glad you are satisfied living there and feel safe. We all have different risk tolerances and that's fine, I was just sharing my opinion. I also do not live there, but I do frequent that area. So again this is my perception.

I've definitely heard my fair share of perceptions that I consider negative about where I live from outsiders, and I admit at first glance it's taken personal. But I know the area I live better than these people and feel safe and okay with that. At the same time I find it interesting as to why they'd think that way.

I said what I said because that's my perception, and quite frankly in my circle of friends and family they would tend to agree with my perception. All sorts of nuances and biases go into these perceptions. Anyways I did not mean any disrespect by my comments, just a different opinion.
    Fair enough, and I'm also not a gun expert by any means but I've heard semi and automatic weapons go off. It is crazy to me how fast someone can discharge a clip in a pistol.

I was taken back because our area is actually really good, its got it normal issues but like I said prior I have 3 rental houses in NW OKC and there all in "better" areas then where I personally live. I'm on next door and watch crime reports (vested interest afterall) and the crime is just the same where my other homes are lol. There are some spots of the city where I'm not exactly jazzed about being at but honestly my areas of "no fly" zones in the city is really small after having traveled the world lol. That's fine though if you don't like it over here I'll keep my good BBQ & street tacos

I live in Venice, and never feel unsafe. I generally don't feel truly unsafe most places I go in OKC, but it does get somewhat iffy the closer you get to NW 23rd and also west of May.

Fair enough, and I'm also not a gun expert by any means but I've heard semi and automatic weapons go off. It is crazy to me how fast someone can discharge a clip in a pistol.

I was taken back because our area is actually really good, its got it normal issues but like I said prior I have 3 rental houses in NW OKC and there all in "better" areas then where I personally live. I'm on next door and watch crime reports (vested interest afterall) and the crime is just the same where my other homes are lol. There are some spots of the city where I'm not exactly jazzed about being at but honestly my areas of "no fly" zones in the city is really small after having traveled the world lol. That's fine though if you don't like it over here I'll keep my good BBQ & street tacos
    At the end of the day the type of safety I think we are talking here is different than safety elsewhere in the world. I don't personally have any no go zones in OKC, I would just have heightened awareness in areas I perceive as less safe than the areas I'm familiar with. That familiarity I think goes hand in hand with perception.

I hear gunshots annually at NYE unfortunately. lots of Fireworks as well but definately gunshots.

This is a sad story on so many levels.

She said her husband used her AR-15 and fired into the air as they heard their neighbors firing guns into the air, too. He does not have a concealed carry permit, but she does, she said, adding that the gun belongs to her.

"We do this every year because it was New Year's Eve," she said. "Everybody (in the neighborhood) was shooting. It was a tradition. Everybody shoots on New Year's Eve."”

http://https://www.cantonrep.com/sto...on/9078516002/

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    This is a sad story on so many levels.

She said her husband used her AR-15 and fired into the air as they heard their neighbors firing guns into the air, too. He does not have a concealed carry permit, but she does, she said, adding that the gun belongs to her.

"We do this every year because it was New Year's Eve," she said. "Everybody (in the neighborhood) was shooting. It was a tradition. Everybody shoots on New Year's Eve."”

http://https://www.cantonrep.com/sto...on/9078516002/
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. However, having said that, hopefully the cop who shot him will be reprimanded, fired, whatever is necessary, because he *also* played a stupid game (no announcement, etc.).

I’m beyond unqualified but my gut says it’s ok to kill a man whose firing indiscriminately in a neighborhood. Announcing yourself seems like a good way to get shot in an active shooter situation. Hopefully this puts an end to that particular neighborhood tradition.

Thread Information