Widgets Magazine

Thread: Electrician needed for meter base replacement

Default Electrician needed for meter base replacement

Looking for an electrician to replace our original 1950 meter base (and probably weatherhead and conduit between).

They need to:

Answer the phone or reply to the voicemail I leave (tons of tradespeople/companies can't handle even this simple request)
    Be licensed, bonded, and insured
    Work in OKC (NW 36th/May area)
    Show up on the day they say they will if we agree they'll do the work

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Default Re: Electrician needed for meter base replacement

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Looking for an electrician to replace our original 1950 meter base (and probably weatherhead and conduit between).

They need to:

Answer the phone or reply to the voicemail I leave (tons of tradespeople/companies can't handle even this simple request)

http://www.genesiselectricok.com/contact

I have a second person if this company doesn't perform. Tradesmen are very busy.

I've used Hayes Electric in the past and have never been let down.

4. Default Re: Electrician needed for meter base replacement

They need to:

If replacing the meter base they will have to replace the riser and weather head. Also, if your service is still original be prepared to be told that the panel will have to be replaced to bring the entire service into code.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    If replacing the meter base they will have to replace the riser and weather head. Also, if your service is still original be prepared to be told that the panel will have to be replaced to bring the entire service into code.
    Thanks for the replies, I'll get started. Panel inside got replaced a long time ago before we bought the house (it was actually added - the original panel is still there, just daisy-chained to the new one, but one electrician that was out on another problem said it was OK, but he'd never seen that before, he was young, though), no idea why they didn't replace the meter base at the very least when they did the panel work.

6. Default Re: Electrician needed for meter base replacement

Thanks for the replies, I'll get started. Panel inside got replaced a long time ago before we bought the house (it was actually added - the original panel is still there, just daisy-chained to the new one, but one electrician that was out on another problem said it was OK, but he'd never seen that before, he was young, though), no idea why they didn't replace the meter base at the very least when they did the panel work.
    I'm betting they didn't get it inspected. When replacing any major part of an older service we're required to bring the whole service to current code.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I'm betting they didn't get it inspected. When replacing any major part of an older service we're required to bring the whole service to current code.
    Yeah, most likely - so much stuff that was done during the remodel about 20 years ago is about 3/4-ass work (better than half, but not as good as it should be). And yeah, I'm planning on getting all this fixed and up to code so I won't have to deal with it for a long time (just did the same for all our plumbing and HVAC ducts).

I have found Randy Waters at Trico Electric to be capable, fair and honest. Second generation company. One guy and a helper.

405-946-2098

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I have found Randy Waters at Trico Electric to be capable, fair and honest. Second generation company. One guy and a helper.

405-946-2098
    Thanks, will start checking with these on Mon...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I've used Hayes Electric in the past and have never been let down.
    Thanks, used them and am very satisfied. Turns out they had to replace the meter base, move 3 panels (2 old ones in the wall that got turned into junction boxes and 1 that was installed over one of the old ones in the wall) from inside to outside because of clearance/code issues, put the weatherhead up on the roof with a mast. Then had them do a few cleanup things with outlets and junction boxes, found out the day before they put in the circuit for charging the Mini that the Mini charger is both 120v *and* 240v (I had thought it was just 120v), so had them run 240v instead of 120v to it. Pretty good timing considering that I started on both trying to get this done and ordered the Mini back in Oct/Nov 2021, and 2 days after they put the circuit in, I pick up my Mini.

Thread Information