Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local donut places open past 2PM?

1. Northwest OKC Local donut places open past 2PM?

I would love to support a local donut shop, but I find almost all of them close by 2PM, so I end up at Dunkin. Anybody know of some local ones (NW & Edmond) that are open later into the PM?

Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

I'd love to know too. Most of the donut shops around me close around 11-1, so I normally get Dunkin or Krispy.

not exactly local, but hurts donut on 23rd is open 24 hours.

i'd be surprised if there were *any* local shops open outside of typical breakfast hours... there just isn't much money in being open beyond that. also, i think that free afternoons/evenings is part of the appeal to most owner operators.

Aside from Hurts, they pretty much don't exist, I've been trying to find one for years, along with a really good place (most are just exactly the same with a huge pipe from a central factory that pumps dough into their location, and they're all completely average). Did notice the other day that the one in front of Classen Coffee (can't remember the name) actually had their open sign lit up around 3-4 in the afternoon one day we drove past there, not sure if they were really open or even good, though.

Holey Rollers is open until 3:00 pm
    Shipley Do-Nuts is open until 8:00 pm (not local)

6. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Did notice the other day that the one in front of Classen Coffee (can't remember the name) actually had their open sign lit up around 3-4 in the afternoon one day we drove past there, not sure if they were really open or even good, though.
    Quoc Bao Bakery.

I've never tried it but it's highly rated and anyone I've ever known that has been there has raved about it.

Also unsure of how late they serve donut because most of my friends that rave about it have gone there for the banh mi and eggrolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Quoc Bao Bakery.

I've never tried it but it's highly rated and anyone I've ever known that has been there has raved about it.

Also unsure of how late they serve donut because most of my friends that rave about it have gone there for the banh mi and eggrolls.
    Ah, yeah, they were mentioned in the banh mi comments, we'll have to try a banh mi from there and hit up Classen afterwards, thx.

Neon is open until 4 Sun-Thur, and 8 Fri-Sat... but they aren't your typical donuts.

https://www.neoncoffeeco.com/

Canadians eat donuts as afternoon snacks, so up north they're all open late. Wish more places would embrace that here...

9. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

Quoc Bao Bakery.

Ah, yeah, they were mentioned in the banh mi comments, we'll have to try a banh mi from there and hit up Classen afterwards, thx.
    Generally not my policy to bag on a place publicly, but I would only urge that - if you go - you should do a visual inspection for health and sanitation conditions. It's been 3-4 years since I purchased donuts there (once) and I can't represent myself as a regular customer in any way, so I can't speak to their current conditions. They very possibly have dealt with the issues I encountered, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Would just advise that you go in with your eyes very wide open.

10. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Generally not my policy to bag on a place publicly, but I would only urge that - if you go - you should do a visual inspection for health and sanitation conditions. It's been 3-4 years since I purchased donuts there (once) and I can't represent myself as a regular customer in any way, so I can't speak to their current conditions. They very possibly have dealt with the issues I encountered, so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. Would just advise that you go in with your eyes very wide open.
    Health inspections can be checked here.... https://www.phin.state.ok.us/Inspections/index.aspx

Thx, according to the inspections, they sucked in 2017-2019 and still have a few problems in 2021.

12. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

Thx, according to the inspections, they sucked in 2017-2019 and still have a few problems in 2021.
    I looked at a lot of places for comparison, one being Cattlemen's, and they didn't look so bad after looking around.

Checked most of the Hal Smith restaurants and for the most part they had very few violations but one of the Neighborhood Jam's had gotten quite a few recently.

Regarding donuts, if you have Hulu I highly recommend the documentary Donut King.

It's about a Cambodian refugee who learned the donut biz as a Winchells trainee and then started his own shop. Before long, he had a chain and then sponsored other Cambodians to come to the U.S. and then helped to get them started in that business.

In California, there's a mom & pop donut shop on every corner, almost all of them owned by Cambodians. And almost all of them are staffed by family, getting there at 4AM every single day and working their tails off.

It's very similar to Vietnamese and nail salons, east Indians and hotels, etc.

Very inspiring how these families work incredibly hard to acheive the American dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Regarding donuts, if you have Hulu I highly recommend the documentary Donut King.

It's about a Cambodian refugee who learned the donut biz as a Winchells trainee and then started his own shop. Before long, he had a chain and then sponsored other Cambodians to come to the U.S. and then helped to get them started in that business.

In California, there's a mom & pop donut shop on every corner, almost all of them owned by Cambodians. And almost all of them are staffed by family, getting there at 4AM every single day and working their tails off.

Very inspiring how these families work incredibly hard to acheive the American dream.
    Yep, they found a hole in the economy and filled it.....

15. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

I don't know about on the north side but on the south side pretty much every local owned donut shop is Asian owned and operated..... Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Honey Bee Bakery in Moore and I don't know that it's not Asian owned but it's staffed by mostly caucasian high school girls.

Krispy Kreme is open till 10PM and open later on Friday and Saturday till 11PM.

17. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    Krispy Kreme is open till 10PM and open later on Friday and Saturday till 11PM.
    Yeah, not a local place. I am trying to give local businesses my money instead of national chains as much as I can.

I don't know about on the north side but on the south side pretty much every local owned donut shop is Asian owned and operated..... Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Honey Bee Bakery in Moore and I don't know that it's not Asian owned but it's staffed by mostly caucasian high school girls.
    Yep, the same, and everything's pretty much interchangeable between any of them (as I alluded to earlier).

Throwing this out there, hurts isn't local.

20. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

I looked at a lot of places for comparison, one being Cattlemen's, and they didn't look so bad after looking around...
    I’ve never had two live, large cockroaches crawl out from under my steak at Cattlemen’s. Like I said, it’s entirely possible that Quoc Bao cleaned things up after the last time I bought donuts, but I probably won’t be checking back anytime soon to see. My experience wasn’t about holding temps being off by a few degrees.

And there are nearly none where I live. Most places are like Hurt’s with the huge, thick, novelty donuts.

I love the light, airy donuts of the mom and pop donut parlors of OKC.

Regarding the Cambodian donut shops all over California, back when the 405 freeway was going to be closed for a couple of days (the infamous Carmageddon) I had to get to Santa Monica to coach a triathlon practice. I decided to ride my bike, a roundtrip of about 80 miles.

It also meant I needed to leave my house around 4AM to get there on time. I'm not a donut eater so I never even thought about or noticed all the local places.

I can tell you at that time of the morning, there were only two things moving: sprinklers and donut shop owners. I passed dozens along the way and they stood out because the lights were on and you could see people working away inside. Imagine doing that every single day for decades, as many of those owners have done.

23. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

I can tell you at that time of the morning, there were only two things moving: sprinklers and donut shop owners. I passed dozens along the way and they stood out because the lights were on and you could see people working away inside. Imagine doing that every single day for decades, as many of those owners have done.
    When I was in high school I started a donut delivery business and delivered to most of the convenience stores in the Choctaw, Spencer, Harrah, McCloud area and I got my donuts from a Daylight off 23rd in Nicoma Park.... We started packing our boxes at 2 AM to get them all ready to be delivered before the stores opened for business.

24. Default Re: Local donut places open past 2PM?

I’ve never had two live, large cockroaches crawl out from under my steak at Cattlemen’s. Like I said, it’s entirely possible that Quoc Bao cleaned things up after the last time I bought donuts, but I probably won’t be checking back anytime soon to see. My experience wasn’t about holding temps being off by a few degrees.
    I'm pretty sure you never had 2 live cockroaches climb out from under a steak at Quoc Bao either.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    And there are nearly none where I live. Most places are like Hurt’s with the huge, thick, novelty donuts.

I love the light, airy donuts of the mom and pop donut parlors of OKC.
    Who else does that other than the run down yellow building on 39th and rockwell?

Thread Information