Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lark

Default Re: The Lark

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This area of Edmond has something that few urban areas do: a full-service grocery store.

Sprouts is only a few blocks away.

It's a fantastic area for walkability with UCO close, all of downtown Edmond and related amenities and services. Will be even better when commuter rail to the Santa Fe Station is added, and that day is coming.

The area between Campus Corner and downtown Norman has all the same attributes.
    This is why I am not surprised by Lark at all. I walk through Edmond downtown on a weekly basis and it is definitely on an upswing.

If and when the commuter rail comes in, this will become one of the most valuable areas to own a home in the state. Imagine OU sporting events, Thunder games, Downtown bars and restaurants, concerts, and your office all being a 1.5 block walk away from your front door while living in Edmond. The potential of this small area astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    If and when the commuter rail comes in, this will become one of the most valuable areas to own a home in the state. Imagine OU sporting events, Thunder games, Downtown bars and restaurants, concerts, and your office all being a 1.5 block walk away from your front door while living in Edmond. The potential of this small area astronomical.
    If/when commuter rail comes out, pretty much zero of the buyers interested in these properties are still going to be among the living. It'd be interesting to know what these properties are appraising for, but these are more expensive than Dallas properties with access to actually existing commuter rail, so I don't really buy this.

I'm sure it was a requirement for approval, but man is seems like a lot of parking for the number of houses. Of course, those will be useful in that area especially during big events.

Some scrutiny about this and other downtown Edmond developments: https://okcfox.com/news/fox-25-inves...orney-general#

One thing that caught my eye is how they noted 600 million dollars of investment is underway in downtown Edmond. That’s pretty impressive.

These homes look really similar to the Wheeler District ones, except these have dark colored roofs.

I don't know how current his is (from the Lark website) but it shows 17 of 33 sold, with 8 more to come.

Pretty impressive to squeeze in that many homes in such a small area.

So, at least 41 homes where there had been only 8 lots before -- although most of those had been vacant for about 20 years.

Driving by The Lark illustrates its appeal - densely proximate houses, smaller in size, lower price (nominal, I understand price/SF is high - but have you ever priced a tiny house on a price/SF basis?). While this may not be everyone's cup of tea, why can't 40 - 50 households live in this manner. This is the type of varied development that OKC metro needs. There is a sense of community - not everyone wants/needs a backyard. Wheeler District has some of this but overall I was impressed. For all the constant whining about walkability about every development in this forum (see Chisholm Creek, for example), The Lark should be applauded, as it is truly 100% walkable.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Driving by The Lark illustrates its appeal - densely proximate houses, smaller in size, lower price (nominal, I understand price/SF is high - but have you ever priced a tiny house on a price/SF basis?). While this may not be everyone's cup of tea, why can't 40 - 50 households live in this manner. This is the type of varied development that OKC metro needs. There is a sense of community - not everyone wants/needs a backyard. Wheeler District has some of this but overall I was impressed. For all the constant whining about walkability about every development in this forum (see Chisholm Creek, for example), The Lark should be applauded, as it is truly 100% walkable.
    This was me. We had a large yard and house in a cul de sac here in Edmond and once the kids got older and didn’t go outside, my wife and I said we should just go to the urban style like we always wanted. Fortunately we jumped right in 2020 to one here/near downtown Edmond so our kids could still be at memorial high. The efficiency of these are excellent, and really flow well inside even for a family.

One big surprise was how busy it is and how much we utilize it. The urban ag grocery store, the bookstore, restaurants, farmers market and heard on Hurd monthly street festival - all walking distance from our front door. It feels like we found a secret Mayberry and this is coming from a non OKC native that moved here in 05 for college and always hated it.

^

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

It's great to have a bunch of different living options in OKC and downtown Edmond is pretty darn great. There is even a real grocery store (Sprouts).

I was in downtown Edmond for the first time in a few years recently and was really surprised at the growth. It’s a really solid little downtown now.

I like this development. I wish they offered some flats for my mom.

I think they should change all the single family home zoning from Fretz to Bryant to multi-family, including some high density multi-family. Also should zone the whole length of Broadway commercial with no front parking. Downtown Edmond is great, for 2.5 blocks.

Zorba - Who has been watching too many Urbanist videos on YouTube lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I like this development. I wish they offered some flats for my mom.

I think they should change all the single family home zoning from Fretz to Bryant to multi-family, including some high density multi-family. Also should zone the whole length of Broadway commercial with no front parking. Downtown Edmond is great, for 2.5 blocks.

Zorba - Who has been watching too many Urbanist videos on YouTube lately.
    The city looked at tweaking the zoning for a 2-3 neighborhoods around downtown that would allow for duplexes, ADUs, live/work units without having to go through planning commission and city council. I think its been tabled after pushback from NIMBYs, CAVE people (Citizens Against Virtually Everything) and conspiracy theorists.

^^^

I shouldÂ’ve prefaced my earlier post that our urban move was not the Lark, but similar in more of a Brooklyn style sense.

I didnÂ’t want to come across as a sales pitch, my 20 year prior self would scream hearing me promote or talk well of OKC but that self would also not believe the attainable lifestyle now. To top of my previous post, we actually even went down to ONE car (electric! charge in garage) as well. Granted, I wfh, but we have club swimmer kids and are both active in recreation/gym/swim. With all the amenities and activities we have to walk to on top of family duties & dr appts, we still only need one car IN OKLAHOMA :O

One less tag, one less maintenance and one less insurance policy makes a huge difference when you have 5 phones and phone plans, and can still have a great QoL. OKC growth often gets the spotlight as it should for the strides itÂ’s attaining but central Edmond/UCO campus residents is a clear example of just how important and worthwhile inner urban development and investment is. Even for suburban habits of driving miles to midtown for good restaurant or street festivals is no more for us, the ice house is surprisingly busy a lot of the time I pass. Unfortunately the railyard closing was sad to hear but I canÂ’t help but wonder if the delayed construction of the apartments next to them could have prevented that.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    ^^^

I shouldÂ’ve prefaced my earlier post that our urban move was not the Lark, but similar in more of a Brooklyn style sense.

I didnÂ’t want to come across as a sales pitch, my 20 year prior self would scream hearing me promote or talk well of OKC but that self would also not believe the attainable lifestyle now. To top of my previous post, we actually even went down to ONE car (electric! charge in garage) as well. Granted, I wfh, but we have club swimmer kids and are both active in recreation/gym/swim. With all the amenities and activities we have to walk to on top of family duties & dr appts, we still only need one car IN OKLAHOMA :O

One less tag, one less maintenance and one less insurance policy makes a huge difference when you have 5 phones and phone plans, and can still have a great QoL. OKC growth often gets the spotlight as it should for the strides itÂ’s attaining but central Edmond/UCO campus residents is a clear example of just how important and worthwhile inner urban development and investment is. Even for suburban habits of driving miles to midtown for good restaurant or street festivals is no more for us, the ice house is surprisingly busy a lot of the time I pass. Unfortunately the railyard closing was sad to hear but I canÂ’t help but wonder if the delayed construction of the apartments next to them could have prevented that.
    I am not super familiar with DT Edmond, but since you said close to the bookstore (assuming the one across from The Mule) and the farmers market- you are right in that downtown core area. The Lark is the only tract that I know of like that. Is there another or did you buy just a single house in its style near there that looks similar that was a newer build?

Quote Originally Posted by Shortsyeararound View Post
    I am not super familiar with DT Edmond, but since you said close to the bookstore (assuming the one across from The Mule) and the farmers market- you are right in that downtown core area. The Lark is the only tract that I know of like that. Is there another or did you buy just a single house in its style near there that looks similar that was a newer build?
    I will start a newer thread to reply, to avoid furthering the derailment of the thread since it’s not specifically about the Lark development. Hopefully Pete could kindly move my posts if possible.

As far as the “one single build” implication, the house/office combo that’s a single rowhouse style on Ayers and Broadway I’ve felt was just a sole individual that chose to build? Someone please correct if they know more.

Toured a couple of Parade of Homes in The Lark today. While I like the concept, homes with sidewalks not directly fronting the street (builds a sense of community, even with small lots), I noticed some of the homes are one bedroom, very small. One home had an open kitchen, very small open area, then bedroom/bath. The living room was basically part of the kitchen.....
    Seems limiting to the market, but hey, what do I know? More power to them if they can sell them!

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Toured a couple of Parade of Homes in The Lark today. While I like the concept, homes with sidewalks not directly fronting the street (builds a sense of community, even with small lots), I noticed some of the homes are one bedroom, very small. One home had an open kitchen, very small open area, then bedroom/bath. The living room was basically part of the kitchen.....
    Seems limiting to the market, but hey, what do I know? More power to them if they can sell them!
    They're definitely small. I think they mostly priced around the $425-475/sf range. I think they're being marketed toward empty nesters, DINKs, and people buying second homes. That's just a guess though.

What is DINKs??

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    What is DINKs??
    Double Income No Kids.

Professional adults with extra expendable income, basically.

Thread Information