Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Lark

Edmond The Lark

New cottages being built between Fretz and downtown Edmond near the Ice House development.

https://www.edmondlark.com/

The entire project is underway. Sorry I didn’t get photos but I’ll take some as soon as I can.

Default Re: The Lark

Seems to be a more urban design akin to Wheeler District houses (without mixed uses), but I couldn't find a master plan layout on their site. I'd like to see how the houses interact with the street and connect pedestrians to downtown and Ice House.

If you click on the image there is a small site layout on the top right corner. all i could find

About The Lark — The Lark.jpg

https://www.edmondlark.com/about-the-lark

Edit here is a better image:

Cottages — The Lark.jpg

This project seems to be chugging along nicely.

Any guesses as to how well they sell? I’m sure a few goobs will buy them for short term rentals but I really don’t see anyone paying that kind of $ to live by the train tracks in Edmond.

6. Default Re: The Lark

There are a quite a bit for sale and the average is ~$410/ft ��

Holy cow: $495K for a 1,200 SF house:

https://www.zillow.com/b/225-w-1st-st-edmond-ok-C7Tvjj/

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Holy cow: $495K for a 1,200 SF house:

https://www.zillow.com/b/225-w-1st-st-edmond-ok-C7Tvjj/
    Yeah……the area is not nice at all and all it did was displace more “regular” people from the core of Edmond. Sure there’s a few restaurants and a brewery but come on, $400+ a foot?🫠

It's surprising how many lots have already been sold in this development.

This is similar to the Wheeler District in that the homes are on very small lots but the finishes and style are quite high.

People love HGTV and what they see all over Instagram and are willing to pay to step into something that is exactly what they want, at least from a design perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    Yeah……the area is not nice at all and all it did was displace more “regular” people from the core of Edmond. Sure there’s a few restaurants and a brewery but come on, $400+ a foot?🫠
    The price is outrageous but I wouldn't say the area is not nice at all. If you've been to Heard on Hurd lately you'll see that there's a lot of building going on on DT Edmond. Lots of changes are already happening there with the Railyard, Icehouse Project etc. And with DT being a quiet zone now, you don't really notice the train noise if you're inside a building. I caught a band at the Railyard and a train passed by but I could hardly hear the train at all because of the music.

Like you, I don't like regular people being displaced from an area (they're what helps make the fabric of the town) but where the Lark is going in was a lot of empty lots. Maybe 5 or 6 houses were razed. And I don't know that all of them were occupied.

^

And there are still tons of smaller, older and affordable homes all around that area.

I suspect we'll continue to see more infill as downtown Edmond is one of the most desirable urban areas in the state. There are not many places in Oklahoma where you can step out your front door and walk over to a bunch of eating and shopping establishments.

Just look at what has happened south of Classen Curve. Tons of new two-on-a-lot homes selling north of $800K. And now townhouses at more than a million are going up on Grand. Bunch of small lot homes next to the Western Avenue District, 10 Penn as well as SoSA, of course.

With OAK starting, two new houses in my humble 'hood were built on a tear-down lot and both of them sold almost the day they hit the market.

People are busy and don't have the patience, desire, or know-how to deal with remodeling projects. Many are willing to pay a big premium for something already finished, even if that means a small lot and high $/SF. Just look at Wheeler.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Maybe 5 or 6 houses were razed. And I don't know that all of them were occupied.
    I drove by again a few hours ago and there were less houses razed than I remembered. I think maybe 3 were torn down.

Still, the price is outrageous. If you have the $ to spend half a mil on 1200 sf, more power to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I drove by again a few hours ago and there were less houses razed than I remembered. I think maybe 3 were torn down.

Still, the price is outrageous. If you have the $ to spend half a mil on 1200 sf, more power to ya.
    The majority of older homes being razed will be in connection with the Main Street Development further to the west near and around the park.

From now on, when my kid has garbage to sell for school fundraisers, I'm hitting up The Lark residents first. They clearly have more money than sense and that's my target demo.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that some people like new things? Yes, on a price/SF basis it appears high for OKC, but there is inflation everywhere. The number of small but expensive new houses is pretty minimal, compared to the total number of homes available in OKC. Some people buy a bare-bones BMW when they could buy a much nicer Honda. Is that "bad". If your goal is to live as cheaply as possible, there are plenty of really cheap houses in Oklahoma City you could buy. People have priorities. I bet the folks complaining about these prices have some type of expensive item/hobby....

There are lots of new things available for a fraction of the price being offered here--about half as much and about the same build quality/materials if you look a few miles west at Valencia. If these things had limestone and art deco exteriors with Tesla roofs and were really made of top-quality materials, I'd concede the point, but apart from homes in Valencia, what do you have? A choice in color of gas stove?

I just don't understand these on any level. They make sense from a functionality standpoint as maybe short term rentals, i.e. VRBO, etc., but I would assume any business person wouldn't overpay for an asset like that when they could build by owner for a fraction of the cost.

We've got similar, but not quite as high cost homes being sold downtown OKC at the Overholsers, but those homes are made of stone and very nice materials.

--and your bare bones BMW is going to be similarly equipped to a very nicely equipped Honda, and in any event, it won't be twice the price, and in any event, we're talking in terms of tens, not hundreds of thousands of dollars difference.

Sure, to each his own/don't hate the player, hate the game, but this project still makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Why is it so hard for people to understand that some people like new things? Yes, on a price/SF basis it appears high for OKC, but there is inflation everywhere. The number of small but expensive new houses is pretty minimal, compared to the total number of homes available in OKC. Some people buy a bare-bones BMW when they could buy a much nicer Honda. Is that "bad". If your goal is to live as cheaply as possible, there are plenty of really cheap houses in Oklahoma City you could buy. People have priorities. I bet the folks complaining about these prices have some type of expensive item/hobby....
    You can get a brand new house in that area for a lot cheaper than what the Lark is offering, especially with housing prices beginning to cool off. Even or folks who want something new and luxury, this is some ridiculous overpaying. To each their own, but this just doesn't make a lick of financial sense.

It's crazy that people view life differently and want different things, isn't it!?

(I love the Lark. More of this type of development please!)

Where else in Edmond can you buy a new house and actually be able to walk to anything.? This would be a lot of what you are paying for. Walkable neighborhoods are non existent in 99.9% of Edmond. It's either this or nothing. There is value in that.

23. Default Re: The Lark

location, Location, LOCATION

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Where else in Edmond can you buy a new house and actually be able to walk to anything.? This would be a lot of what you are paying for. Walkable neighborhoods are non existent in 99.9% of Edmond. It's either this or nothing. There is value in that.
    This has been my number 1 priority in choosing housing for 15 years. I just want to live in a walkable neighborhood. I wouldn't accept a mansion in an unwalkable neighborhood if you gave it to me for free. I'd be miserable. I love that I don't have to own a car. I love that I know my streets, neighbors, and frequent the same local businesses regularly.

This area of Edmond has something that few urban areas do: a full-service grocery store.

Sprouts is only a few blocks away.

It's a fantastic area for walkability with UCO close, all of downtown Edmond and related amenities and services. Will be even better when commuter rail to the Santa Fe Station is added, and that day is coming.

The area between Campus Corner and downtown Norman has all the same attributes.

Thread Information