Widgets Magazine

Thread: Edmond Wish List - Another west side Grocery Store

Edmond Edmond Wish List - Another west side Grocery Store

Given the ever growing population of west Edmond and the far edge of NWOKC (that many people who live in those neighborhoods emotionally claim that they live Edmond), there seems to be a need for another one or two full service grocery store to serve this population. Over 80k people live within a 3 mile radius of 2nd/178th and Western with an average $100k household income and there are two full service grocery stores in this radius. To compare, Holdenville, Oklahoma, population 5771 has three full service grocery stores.

Both WalMart at Danforth and Crest at 15th are consistently overwhelmed with customers. There was a Homeland positioned between these two, but was an older store and went out a few years back to become a Planet Fitness/Salvation Army. The Walmart Neighborhood Market and Natural Grocers at 164th don't seem to help too much in easing congestion at these two stores. Given the demographics of the area, it would seem another full service grocery store would easily do well north of Memorial and east of Portland.

Default Re: Edmond Wish List - Another west side Grocery Store

There is a proposed but unnamed grocery store slated for the NW corner of NW 178th and May.

On conceptual plans, it's shown at 30,000 square feet.

My best guess is it will be Sprouts; that is their typical size.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is a proposed but unnamed grocery store slated for the NW corner of NW 178th and May.

That would be a dream come true!!!

Hopefully that will pull away half the customers from their location on 2nd & Broadway.

I would think Sprouts would do well as well as adding in an Aldi's. I'm surprised that Walmart hasn't built something out that way yet. A super sized Crest around Portland would do well too. If Crest builds the one at Sooner and Covell that will help for a short time.

The grocery store business is moving more and more towards home delivery models.

This was first attempted in the '90s with limited success (and the failure of a bunch of startups) but I would expect the current trend to rapidly accelerate.

Amazon is going big into this space and some others are getting serious as well.

As someone who absolutely hates grocery shopping, I would happily become a customer when they get everything worked out. Not a fan of Instacart and the other gig shopping services; I'm waiting for vertically integrated grocers or Amazon to finally conquer this market.

Go to any grocery store and it is filled with people wandering around aimlessly, looking for a few items among tens of thousands. It's an incredibly inefficient way of doing business and we are getting close to the point where the straight-to-home e-commerce model reaches critical mass.

Bet we finally get there in the next five years or so. And it would end the issue of underserved areas in and around population centers, such as downtown and 'fresh food deserts'. Rural areas are almost sure to be left out because any delivery model requires a certain amount of density.

The grocery store business is moving more and more towards home delivery models.

This was first attempted in the '90s with limited success (and the failure of a bunch of startups) but I would expect the current trend to rapidly accelerate.

Amazon is going big into this space and some others are getting serious as well.

As someone who absolutely hates grocery shopping, I would happily become a customer when they get everything worked out. Not a fan of Instacart and the other gig shopping services; I'm waiting for vertically integrated grocers or Amazon to finally conquer this market.

Go to any grocery store and it is filled with people wandering around aimlessly, looking for a few items among tens of thousands. It's an incredibly inefficient way of doing business and we are getting close to the point where the straight-to-home e-commerce model reaches critical mass.

Bet we finally get there in the next five years or so. And it would end the issue of underserved areas in and around, such as downtown and 'fresh food deserts'. Rural areas are almost sure to be left out because and delivery model requires a certain amount of density.
    I know alot of folks hate grocery shopping -- including my wife -- but I love it. I love slowly shuffling up and down every isle, reading labels, carefully picking out our produce, calculating the unit price, etc. It's very relaxing to me. I understand I'm probably in the minority here.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    I know alot of folks hate grocery shopping -- including my wife -- but I love it. I love slowly shuffling up and down every isle, reading labels, carefully picking out our produce, calculating the unit price, etc. It's very relaxing to me. I understand I'm probably in the minority here.
    I'm the exact opposite; I'm a grocery shopping ninja.

I find a few places that I like and I learn them like the back of my hand. Then, I'm in and out of there as fast as possible.

I won't even go to places without self-check-out. Getting behind the coupon cutters and women digging through their purses to write a check...

It's why I can't get with Aldi. The bottleneck at checkout is often a nightmare. And don't get me started on CVS and Walgreens.

I'm the exact opposite; I'm a grocery shopping ninja.

I find a few places that I like and I learn them like the back of my hand. Then, I'm in and out of there as fast as possible.

I won't even go to places without self-check-out. Getting behind the coupon cutters and women digging through their purses to write a check...

It's why I can't get with Aldi. The bottleneck at checkout is often a nightmare. And don't get me started on CVS and Walgreens.
    The CVS near us did put in a self check-out, which unusually for me, I actually love! I usually buy my special occasion cards there and it shouldn't take five minutes to do the transaction on a $5 birthday card, but it did before the self check-out.

I know I'm exaggerating....but not not by much!

I am not opposed to drive-up/delivery options, but sometimes the windows of opportunity and pre-planning are cumbersome. Also, some of the delivery services add up in costs over the convenience of the service.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    I am not opposed to drive-up/delivery options, but sometimes the windows of opportunity and pre-planning are cumbersome. Also, some of the delivery services add up in costs over the convenience of the service.
    And, even with all of the costs of the service, I'm not sure that the unit economics make much sense on an average order. You can only mark up the food cost so much before the customer decides to pick up her order at the store instead.

The fees will soon be coming down.

I'm sure there will be models like Amazon uses for Prime members, which is fantastic.

Grocers are starting to set up delivery-only facilities, automated with robots. It's basically the same model Amazon uses -- just for food and produce.

It's why I can't get with Aldi. The bottleneck at checkout is often a nightmare.
    I was shopping at the Aldi in Edmond yesterday and I was floored to see more Aldi employees concierge shopping than checking out the two very long lines of customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I was shopping at the Aldi in Edmond yesterday and I was floored to see more Aldi employees concierge shopping than checking out the two very long lines of customers.
    DUDE, we saw the same thing last Friday! And not only that, they were shopping while two registers were open with lines meandering back for atleast half the store. I'm guessing they were not on the clock, but still the impression of that. lol. But these lines are a common theme at Aldi during busy hours. Gotta hit them at off hours.

exactly the same. I love it. my wife hates it. I won't do a grocery pick up or delivery. I would much, much prefer to go inside and pick it out. I love seeing something like a pot roast and going. yeah that would be good and getting everything for it. whereas online you have to search for something and I might not think pot roast.

DUDE, we saw the same thing last Friday! And not only that, they were shopping while two registers were open with lines meandering back for atleast half the store. I'm guessing they were not on the clock, but still the impression of that. lol. But these lines are a common theme at Aldi during busy hours. Gotta hit them at off hours.
    I've tried all hours. The Edmond Aldi is overwhelmed. Too many people shopping. Edmond really needs two more Aldi locations to help spread out the customer base. Aldi stores are generally the same size, so the same Aldi that is in Chickasha or in Ada (Population 16,000+ each) is the same square footage serving the 90,000+ and then some in Edmond.

Unfortunately, trying to get anything bigger than a 3 tenant strip mall or snow cone stand built in Edmond city limits is usually met with strong opposition by the NIMBY's.

a grocery store is planned in the development coming to 164th and May

Grocery stores at NW 164th & NW 178th & May have been talked about on this board for what seems like a couple of years now. Comments in this thread seem more definitive, so I'm hopeful that at least one of those intersections gets a grocery store.

Pete suspects a Sprouts at 178th. What is the best guess for 164th? Is it likely an Aldis? Maybe Winco? I can't see WM putting anything there. Ditto for Crest. What does that leave? I think Trader Joes would build closer to Chisholm Creek, rather than on the outskirts.

^

I believe I confused 164th and 178th; 164th is the likely spot for Sprouts.

Thread Information