Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Nothing much to see here as we begin December. Quite remarkable in its own way, I suppose.

Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

^

Remember last year at this time??

About the biggest difference you can imagine year-to-year.

Christmas party Saturday night. Is this weather going to hold out or do I need extra wood for the cigars smokers around the fire pit?

4. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Christmas party Saturday night. Is this weather going to hold out or do I need extra wood for the cigars smokers around the fire pit?
    NWS saying 60s and 50s overnight. Still pretty darn nice for December.

I love the snow and winter, but I'm not complaining at all about how this winter has started after last year.

Yeah let’s keep this going until spring I’ll be happy

7. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

I covered the Miata up and plugged her in to the battery maintainer. I'm gonna have to undo that and drive the next couple days.

8. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    I love the snow and winter, but I'm not complaining at all about how this year has started after last year.
    I'm praying hard that this winter be one of those we get fairly often with no snow. There's enough to deal with right now.

If it stays like this too much longer then my seasonal depression is also going to start suffering from seasonal depression.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    If it stays like this too much longer then my seasonal depression is also going to start suffering from seasonal depression.
    I’d like to see more rain chances but like the mild weather

Major wind shift coming into the state right now. With extreme drought still setting in, wildfires with direction shift will occur. 30mph winds from the north with temps in the 30s by monday morning. Rebound back to above average mid-week.

Looks like the storms just missed the OKC metro and are now moving across eastern OK. Really could use some moisture across the state especially the west

Record highs for much of the state coming for Friday. OKC will attempt a run at 80F with strong south winds. Extreme fire danger across west half of OK.

Cold front will come through late Friday night and switch us to cold north winds for Saturday. Highs only reaching 50s.

Looks like a decent storm could be impacting the state early next week. Finally

It looks like clouds will break soon and winds out of the SW will start screaming. We will still likely set a new temperature record today. Extreme fire danger this afternoon.

And yes, right now a major storm is looking likely for the plains around the 20th. Right now it looks like mostly rain for OK, but it is worth watching.

16. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

I'll take the rain. Drought was starting to creep up.

New record high today so far for OKC is 79F. Previous record was 75F in 1996.

Dust and smoke is moving into the airspace, so filtering of the sun will probably limit further temperature rise. May just barely squeak out an 80F in OKC.

18. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Me and my Miata were just assaulted by a huge box flying down S Meridian.

19. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

^^Hard to dodge all the stuff being picked up with this wind. The air quality right now is causing havoc on my respiratory system.

Holy cow! I was on my nightly walk and as I was approaching Mayfair, I literally watched their large flag shift from a nice southerly breeze, to a gale out of the west, then northwest, then north, all in just a few minutes.

It also dropped what felt like 20 degrees.

I started out without a jacket and was more than warm, then suddenly had to kick it into gear in order to get home because I was starting to freeze my tail. Was interesting to experience that big shift.

Devastating tornadoes in the Midwest. One of them could end up being classified an F5

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Devastating tornadoes in the Midwest. One of them could end up being classified an F5
    Really. It's a grim reminder that the worst tornado outbreaks can happen at night. I suppose it will be blamed on climate change.

High fire danger next few days, emphasis on Wednesday for fires.

Right now, that big storm next week looks like it is favoring to take a more southern track and have little impact on OK weather. We will have to keep looking for moisture.

Another tornado outbreak is underway across NE-IA-MN-WI this evening. Some areas under the risk literally have snow on the ground. This has been an insane "winter" for the US so far.

As for OKC, winds will turn from the N late tonight and cool us off closer to normal for the end of the week. Still no real rain chances in sight. Maybe someone lucky in the SE on Friday.

Look, I know it’s easy to attribute one or two extreme weather events to climate change without putting it into perspective of a larger chunk of history, but I’m telling you guys, the weather we have had this winter is pretty concerning to me. I can’t recall a time where we had such a dry start to winter. Add in the wind!! It’s atrocious. Oklahoma is naturally windy, but we have had more extreme wind days in the first half of this winter than I can remember. Add in the crazy tornado outbreaks in the Midwest. It is all very concerning how dramatic our weather is becoming. Dramatic in the sense of major temperature swings, extreme polar vortexes (last year), unusually warm temperatures, extreme wind, and tornado outbreaks in December.

Thread Information