Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

^^^ this really seems to me at least only to be a problem over the last several years being so concentrated like this but yes I’m noticing it too. Hopefully things level out.

I’m probably somewhat biased because I lived through the 2020 wildfire season in Colorado, but my major concern is the long-running pattern of drought in the American West. Generally speaking, you can put yourself in a position to survive most short-term extreme weather events, but the trend towards long-term below-average precipitation in an area of the country that’s exploding in population and also doesn’t receive much precipitation in the first place just doesn’t seem particularly sustainable. I feel like OKC (and really the entire I-35 corridor) is also on somewhat of a knife’s edge as far as this goes, as while we do average 2-4x as much precipitation when compared to much of the Intermountain West, we’re not immune to extended dry spells either, as we’ve seen over the past six weeks (and for a more extended recent example, you only have to go as far back as October 2018 - April 2019). Though from what I understand, OKC is set up fairly well as far as water rights go, so that’s good at least.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I’m probably somewhat biased because I lived through the 2020 wildfire season in Colorado, but my major concern is the long-running pattern of drought in the American West. Generally speaking, you can put yourself in a position to survive most short-term extreme weather events, but the trend towards long-term below-average precipitation in an area of the country that’s exploding in population and also doesn’t receive much precipitation in the first place just doesn’t seem particularly sustainable. I feel like OKC (and really the entire I-35 corridor) is also on somewhat of a knife’s edge as far as this goes, as while we do average 2-4x as much precipitation when compared to much of the Intermountain West, we’re not immune to extended dry spells either, as we’ve seen over the past six weeks (and for a more extended recent example, you only have to go as far back as October 2018 - April 2019). Though from what I understand, OKC is set up fairly well as far as water rights go, so that’s good at least.
    Decent article from 2016 that discusses OKC water resources and the forethought that droughts would always cycle through https://www.405magazine.com/divining-okcs-water-future/

4. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It is concerning because the whole state is back in drought conditions. But periods of drought is normal in the west. What is not normal is farming and people, Las Vegas, Phoenix, LA and San Diego pulling from the Colorado. Some of that atmospheric river needs to hit southern California and pour into AZ., Nevada and Utah, then just stay a while

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It is concerning because the whole state is back in drought conditions. But periods of drought is normal in the west. What is not normal is farming and people, Las Vegas, Phoenix, LA and San Diego pulling from the Colorado. Some of that atmospheric river needs to hit southern California and pour into AZ., Nevada and Utah, then just stay a while
    San Diego is using desalination for a few years now. Enough to supply roughly half a million people. But they need more.

Record high temperatures and grass fire threat will be the holiday weekend theme.

7. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

The latter is not good but the former could continue all winter for me.

80 degrees projected for Christmas and the weekend.

Unbelievable, especially when compared to last November and December.

I can remember previous years where we had a Christmas Day in the 70's but I can't remember too many previous Decembers where it was THIS warm so consistently. I generally prefer warmer weather over the cold but this has been just crazy. What has the average been for this month so far?

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I can remember previous years where we had a Christmas Day in the 70's but I can't remember too many previous Decembers where it was THIS warm so consistently. I generally prefer warmer weather over the cold but this has been just crazy. What has the average been for this month so far?
    http://www.mesonet.org/common/db/lib...=pdf&stid=OKCE

So far this month, average max is 63, average minimum is 38, overall average temp is 50.

Compared to previous Decembers:
    Year: average max - average min - overall average
    2021: 63 - 38 - 50.0
    2020: 54 - 31 - 41.8
    2019: 55 - 34 - 44.0
    2018: 50 - 32 - 40.9
    2017: 51 - 31 - 40.5
    2016: 50 - 28 - 39.0
    2015: 57 - 34 - 45.3
    2014: 49 - 35 - 41.8
    2013: 46 - 24 - 34.9
    2012: 53 - 32 - 43.0
    2011: 51 - 31 - 40.9

This is on track to be the warmest December on record in OKC.

Warmest December Mean Avg Temperature for Oklahoma City
    Period of record 1890 - Present
    1. (2021 through Dec 22) 49.1 °F
    2. (1965) 48.7 °F
    3. (1939) 46.3 °F
    4. (1946) 45.6 °F
    5. (1931) 45.5 °F
    131. (1983) 25.8 °F

The mean of all Decembers is 40.0 °F.

Based on current forecasts we should end the month with a monthly mean of 51.1 °F.

Good. Let’s keep that trend going.

14. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Good. Let’s keep that trend going.
    I'm all for it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I'm all for it!!!!!
    I might plant some palm trees this year

Fire danger will increase overnight and be extreme during the day Friday. Record highs look likely the next 3 days.

OKC should come within 2-3 degrees of an all-time December record high tomorrow (current record is 86).

Merry Christmas everyone! This weather is something else. Can’t remember such a warm Christmas Eve. It’s so warm that the ants must have just exploded out of the ground. They were really looking for water or something. This is definitely something else.

I had a Christmas Eve open house and had to put on the A/C for a bit!

I usually like the cold but after last year I'm happy with this crazy warm weather.

^^^Yes

21. Default Re: December 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I had a Christmas Eve open house and had to put on the A/C for a bit!

I usually like the cold but after last year I'm happy with this crazy warm weather.
    Agreed. I have never embraced a warm Christmas day as much as I did today. Wore a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and flip flops with my Santa hat today and just enjoyed.

Glad the weather was clear for safe traveling but not much in the Christmas mood with this weather. Baw Humbug! lol

Need Rain. I think OKC is around 60 days since the last time it rained more than 1/4 inch. I think around Nov 5th and 6th combine we had over 1/4 but that's been it. As far as the cold it looks like the weekend of Jan 9th it's coming. Might not last long but a 3 day shot of temps not getting above freezing

Some models are starting to trend up the precip (rain and ice/snow) for Saturday across N Oklahoma

Our first legit arctic air is on the way late this weekend. Potential for frozen precipitation is showing up for late Sat-Sun.

Thread Information