Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H-Mart coming to OKC

Default H-Mart coming to OKC

I heard today from someone that H-Mart will be opening a store here in the next 18 months or so. Can anyone confirm?

For those who don't know H Mart is a Korean–American supermarket chain operated by the Hanahreum Group headquartered in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. The chain, with locations throughout the United States and Canada as well as two locations in London, specializes in providing Asian foods.

Default Re: H-Mart coming to OKC

This would be huge. Love H-Mart!

For those not aware, there is already at least 1 international market in the same center as Dot Wo on S. Penn and 106th (l think?).

4. Default Re: H-Mart coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    For those not aware, there is already at least 1 international market in the same center as Dot Wo on S. Penn and 106th (l think?).
    Being a foodie. World Fresh Market is my favorite grocery store in OKC.... I like it so much that my girlfriend at the time , now fiancé, planned a date for us there.... That's how I knew she was a keeper!

I can spend hours just walking up and down the aisles looking at all the different foods from around the world they have.

With that said I'd definitely love to see an H-Mart..... But also for those out of the loop.... There is a Korean grocery store in Moore at 12th and Eastern. It's small but they have a good selection of pantry items.... Meats and veggies can be a little sparse and all the meat is frozen but they do have most of what you need for Korean, and other Asian, cuisine.

I've heard the rumor about H-Mart but can't find anything about this.

It would be nice to have more international grocery stores in the Okc area. I love having more food item choices.

There is a larger and better Korean grocery called Ok Ko Mart at 6000 S.E. 15th in Del City. It also has a small Korean cafe inside. Good selection of namul, Korean pickled veggie side dishes, also.

Quote Originally Posted by rjstone208 View Post
    There is a larger and better Korean grocery called Ok Ko Mart at 6000 S.E. 15th in Del City. It also has a small Korean cafe inside. Good selection of namul, Korean pickled veggie side dishes, also.
    IMHO this place has the best korean food in the metro ..

Is there any affiliation between the Korean cafe inside this grocery store and Seoul Garden in the strip mall to the south? I love Korean food but was so disappointed in Seoul Garden when I tried it earlier this year.

Don't think they're are affiliated. Best Korean restaurant in the metro is Korean House, 4716 S.E. 29th, Del City. Second best is Dong A in a strip mall at 12th & N. Eastern in Moore. Also a Korean grocery next door. Two tours in Korea and a Korean ex so familiar with all things Korean in metro. Went to Seoul Garden once. Once was plenty.

Don't think they're are affiliated. Best Korean restaurant in the metro is Korean House, 4716 S.E. 29th, Del City. Second best is Dong A in a strip mall at 12th & N. Eastern in Moore. Also a Korean grocery next door. Two tours in Korea and a Korean ex so familiar with all things Korean in metro. Went to Seoul Garden once. Once was plenty.
    Thanks for the info, will have to try both the grocery cafe and Korean House. Been looking for something on par with Taste of Korea since that closed, and Seoul Garden obviously wasn't it.

We're fans of Korean House as well. But we liked B Won more than Dong A. And agreed, Seoul Garden was pretty weak. Plus their customer service was terrible the one time we went.

Recently discovered a place in Norman called Wing It. Only been there once but we both loved it. Tried going again recently and they were only doing take out? Not sure if they're having issues finding employees, but that's gonna crush their business. Hope they survive, b/c we want to give it a second go.

H-Mart would make my wife and one of our close friends VERY happy..

The cafe in the back of the Ok Ko market is their favorite and I love their kimbap, which they also sell pre-packaged. The also sell some pre-packaged wings that my wife loves.

My favorite Korean restaurant in the Metro is B Won.

For nearby metros, BCD Tofu House in Carrollton is the best Korean food I've ever eaten. I think if one came to Chisholm Creek, they would kill it.

In Wichita, there is a Korean BBQ restaurant in their version of Bricktown, called Gangnam, which is very good.

14. Default Re: H-Mart coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Thanks for the info, will have to try both the grocery cafe and Korean House. Been looking for something on par with Taste of Korea since that closed, and Seoul Garden obviously wasn't it.
    I don't think anything compares to Taste of Korea. That place was amazing!

B-Won is still my favorite of the places that have been around for years but I have never stopped at OK KO Mart so I can't compare those 2.... I also like Dong-A in Moore.

15. Default Re: H-Mart coming to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    In Wichita, there is a Korean BBQ restaurant in their version of Bricktown, called Gangnam, which is very good.
    There is a Korean BBQ in Moore now that is called Gangnam.... I've heard people rave about how good it is. Wonder if it's the same owners as the Wichita restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    There is a Korean BBQ in Moore now that is called Gangnam.... I've heard people rave about how good it is. Wonder if it's the same owners as the Wichita restaurant.
    We've eaten at both, and although both were good, the Wichita was much better. More upscale and more like Wagyu at Memorial & May.

17. Default Re: H-Mart coming to OKC

We've eaten at both, and although both were good, the Wichita was much better. More upscale and more like Wagyu at Memorial & May.
    Speaking of Wagyu.... Unfortunately our last visit there was underwhelming compared to pre-Covid meals there.... Some of the meat was so grisly it was almost unchewable and the service was really off.... Wrong items brought to the table... Items not brought to the table... Appetizer items arriving after the main course was delivered to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Speaking of Wagyu.... Unfortunately our last visit there was underwhelming compared to pre-Covid meals there.... Some of the meat was so grisly it was almost unchewable and the service was really off.... Wrong items brought to the table... Items not brought to the table... Appetizer items arriving after the main course was delivered to the table.
    We've never had a bad experience, but we go fairly often and I don't think we've ever seen the same employee twice. They seem to have big turn over.

19. Default Re: H-Mart coming to OKC

We've never had a bad experience, but we go fairly often and I don't think we've ever seen the same employee twice. They seem to have big turn over.
    We had always had stellar service until that last trip.... I can't imagine that server lasted very long because they were really struggling that night.

Sorry to revive a 2-year-old thread, but wondering if there's any updates about this. I took a trip to Carrollton Hmart over Labor Day weekend, and spoke with the manager. She said they are definitely actively scouting locations in Oklahoma right now.
    She wasn't sure about where, but she made it sound like OKC isn't going to be one of the choices? She mentioned it has 'city' in the name, but then I can't imagine an Hmart in Del City, Midwest City (or any other places with 'city' in the name)..

Quote Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
    Sorry to revive a 2-year-old thread, but wondering if there's any updates about this. I took a trip to Carrollton Hmart over Labor Day weekend, and spoke with the manager. She said they are definitely actively scouting locations in Oklahoma right now.
    She wasn't sure about where, but she made it sound like OKC isn't going to be one of the choices? She mentioned it has 'city' in the name, but then I can't imagine an Hmart in Del City, Midwest City (or any other places with 'city' in the name)..
    I believe the initial rumors about this were confusing what was/is planned for the Asian market at Crossroads.

I've never seen any hint of H Mart coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastermind View Post
    Hmm, why not MWC or DC? After all, this is where a good amount of our Korean population resides. B-Won, Korean House, OK-KO Mart, and Seoul Garden are all within a two mile radius of one another in this area and have been thriving for years.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    Hmm, why not MWC or DC? After all, this is where a good amount of our Korean population resides. B-Won, Korean House, OK-KO Mart, and Seoul Garden are all within a two mile radius of one another in this area and have been thriving for years.
    I'm Korean and H-mart has been more popular with non-Koreans in recent years. I definitely see more non-Koreans at the Carrollton location now (and I've gone there since 2012). I just think it'd be great to have it in OKC (or even Moore) instead of other cities, because overall it's the capital and I don't go to MWC or DC except to buy kimchi sometimes at Ko Mart. Sure OKC has Chinatown and Super Cao, but Carrollton has a Super 88 Ranch nearby and both markets are constantly busy. But if they actually do open in the state, I ultimately won't care what town/city they choose, because it's getting more difficult to drive 3+hrs to Carrollton now that I am getting older

24. Default Re: H-Mart coming to OKC

I'm no Asian and it's been a few years since l went in it but isn't the market at 119th and S. Penn pretty much the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I'm no Asian and it's been a few years since l went in it but isn't the market at 119th and S. Penn pretty much the same thing?
    104th

Thread Information