Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

If an aquarium is going to be built, it must not be just an aquarium like Jenks. This has to be a world class gem...i mean something people will come from all over to visit, or don't build it...an ohhhh and awwww destination, i just don't see OKC doing that. iI hope i am wrong.

Blog Entries

This could be a game changer--the tourism that could result from this will far exceed 500,000 visitors for the complex if this is comparable to the Tulsa or Georgia Aquariums.

BTW: If they've selected a firm, they obviously know how much money the zoo plans to spend on the project.

The Chickasaws got out ahead on this development for the 100 acre site with FAM & OKANA's hotel may be poised for expansion
    if this area becomes a hot spot.

I just would like to see a nice aquarium here in the city. I won’t consider it a failure if it’s not the largest one on planet Earth.

^

Right, especially considering it will be just one part of what could be a billion $+ development.

The first phase of OKANA alone will cost about $400 million and that's not including the First Americans Museum. Then comes the aquarium and the entire area west of the museum grounds.

It seems most people don't comprehend how big of a deal this will be for OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Right, especially considering it will be just one part of what could be a billion $+ development.

The first phase of OKANA alone will cost about $400 million and that's not including the First Americans Museum. Then comes the aquarium and the entire area west of the museum grounds.

It seems most people don't comprehend how big of a deal this will be for OKC.
    Aquarium is great but the lagoon will still be the think Im most interested in seeing come to fruition. Has a chance to be a super cool spot, big body of water, clear, sandy beaches, like a little oasis in OKC if done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I just would like to see a nice aquarium here in the city. I won’t consider it a failure if it’s not the largest one on planet Earth.
    I won’t either, but I am disappointed at where it stands right now. The size they’re talking about at this point is smaller than the aquariums in New Orleans, Corpus Christi, Springfield, Nashville, and St. Louis. My family are zoo and aquarium people. We have been to many around the country. When they originally talked about 1 million gallons, I was excited. That would be about like St. Louis or the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky. Now I’m afraid of continued cuts (as always seem to happen in zoo and aquarium projects) resulting in something pretty similar to Jenks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Agree.

I think the key to its success as a regional draw or beyond will probably be to feature an exhibit that is very unique to it. Something that has a wow factor. It won't come anywhere close to being the biggest in the US, let alone the world, but it doesn't have to be if it's got something that sets it apart.

And, it will definitely benefit from being part of a larger entertainment / cultural center.

The Chickasaws and the zoo have very high standards.

I'm sure whatever is built will be first class. Bigger isn't always better.

http://www.ktul.com/story/25496796/t...nd-on-july-4th

We can put this on the west side of the museum facing downtown?

Is this aquarium for sure going to OKANA or is there going to be a site selection process?

At one time the convention center was a lock for the Ford Dealer site.

^

I believe they are only looking at the OKANA site.

This would be a joint venture; it's not like the zoo is going to do this all on its own.

Remember, they made a bid to be included in MAPS 4 but the mayor shot it down.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner2000 View Post
    I won’t either, but I am disappointed at where it stands right now. The size they’re talking about at this point is smaller than the aquariums in New Orleans, Corpus Christi, Springfield, Nashville, and St. Louis. My family are zoo and aquarium people. We have been to many around the country. When they originally talked about 1 million gallons, I was excited. That would be about like St. Louis or the Newport Aquarium in Kentucky. Now I’m afraid of continued cuts (as always seem to happen in zoo and aquarium projects) resulting in something pretty similar to Jenks.
    I’d like a massive aquarium as well but we have no idea what it’ll look like or how large it’ll actually be. Disappointment should maybe be shelved until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Is this aquarium for sure going to OKANA or is there going to be a site selection process?

At one time the convention center was a lock for the Ford Dealer site.
    The CC was never a lock for that spot .. . it was the selected spot but never a lock

The Chickasaws and the zoo have very high standards.

I'm sure whatever is built will be first class. Bigger isn't always better.
    100% this

Blog Entries

Just can imagine this being a disappointment in light of the players involved. You are correct Jake, 'Disappointment should maybe be shelved until then.'

[QUOTERemember, they made a bid to be included in MAPS 4 but the mayor shot it down.=BoulderSooner;1222845]100% this[/QUOTE]

That would have been really cool site with the canal running thru it

^

I believe they are only looking at the OKANA site.

This would be a joint venture; it's not like the zoo is going to do this all on its own.

Remember, they made a bid to be included in MAPS 4 but the mayor shot it down.
    I guess I have to ask, who is "They"? I find it hard to believe that the location can be selected without any public input or a formal location analysis. They are going to be using tax dollars for this aren't they?

The Florida Aquarium in Tampa sits on 6 acres and is probably a realistic comparison to what OKC can expect. That is a little over 500' x 500'. There are lots of places around downtown that size.

18. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

If Chickasaw money is behind it, I'd expect something good.

Like Pete said, there's already around 400mil in spending going into just the first phase of this development. There's a lot of capital and vision involved in the site of FAM that goes beyond the Chickasaws and I'm willing to bet if the aquarium is built here, it will be built well and with purpose.

I guess I have to ask, who is "They"? I find it hard to believe that the location can be selected without any public input or a formal location analysis. They are going to be using tax dollars for this aren't they?

The Florida Aquarium in Tampa sits on 6 acres and is probably a realistic comparison to what OKC can expect. That is a little over 500' x 500'. There are lots of places around downtown that size.
    they are the OKC zoo the tribe and the city economic development folks ..

there will likely be big TIF dollars applied ... and at some point there will be a vote from the city council but not on site selection .

Quote Originally Posted by Bored UCO Student View Post
    If Chickasaw money is behind it, I'd expect something good.

Like Pete said, there's already around 400mil in spending going into just the first phase of this development. There's a lot of capital and vision involved in the site of FAM that goes beyond the Chickasaws and I'm willing to bet if the aquarium is built here, it will be built well and with purpose.
    Lets not forget the over $100,000,000 OKC is pitching in.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Lets not forget the over $100,000,000 OKC is pitching in.
    we don't currently know how this is being funded .. or where the money is coming from ... likely a combination of lots of things .. including TIF

Blog Entries

I can think of at least 10 places better for an aquarium than this location.
    Because of Traffic? Synergy with other attractions? Space limitations?

Where do you think is the best possible location and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Because of Traffic? Synergy with other attractions? Space limitations?

Where do you think is the best possible location and why?
    Without doing some serious analysis I don't know where the "best" location is but this will easily fit on 6 acres. A couple of places come to mind.

1). The old Stage Center site across from MBG and on the streetcar route

2) The Cowboy Ranch site in Bricktown. The current owner can't even pay his bills and is on the streetcar route.

3). The entire west side of Scissortail Park.

4) The old Ford dealership site between MBG and Scissortail.

5) The chunk of riverfront land between the railroad and I-40 where the junk yard is near the new power substation.

6) The Coop land.

7) Bass Pro parking lot.

8) East of Wheeler District where Twin Creek joins the Oklahoma River.

9) Anchor to Lower Scissortail Park

10) somewhere in the adventure district.

11). The hotel property that was never developed east if Cowboy Ranch. It could achor East Bricktown and is on the streetcar line.

And those are just off the top of my head. There are too many good options available to just pick a place without doing any due diligence.

Without doing some serious analysis I don't know where the "best" location is but this will easily fit on 6 acres. A couple of places come to mind.

1). The old Stage Center site across from MBG and on the streetcar route

2) The Cowboy Ranch site in Bricktown. The current owner can't even pay his bills and it on the streetcar route.

3). The entire west side of Scissortail Park.

4) The old Ford dealership site between MBG and Scissortail.

5) The chunk of riverfront land between the railroad and I-40 where the junk yard is near the new power substation.

6) The Coop land.

7) Bass Pro parking lot.

8) East of Wheeler District where Twin Creek joins the Oklahoma River.

9) Anchor to Lower Scissortail Park

10) somewhere in the adventure district

And those are just off the top of my head.
    lets go 1 by one

1. privately owned super expensive property

2. Privately owned super expensive property and the owner has never missed any bills (that was the tenant .. ) also would have massive design requirements being in bricktown

3. Privately owned super expensive property and you don't want giant parking there

4. Privately owned super expensive property(the most expensive property in downtown)

5. almost no access and no room for parking and lots of environmental cleanup

6. Privately owned super expensive property

7. Privately controlled super expensive property and the business in lower bricktown want the parking they have (and have contracts that require it)

8. Privately owned the next phase of wheeler but not a terrible idea

9. Privately owned super expensive property

10. also not a terrible idea but it doesn't make sense to co locate with the zoo ..

so 2 out of 10 are even viable ..

I think a big factor may be the people doing the serious pulling, both in terms of raw effort and monetary contributions want it on their site. This wouldn't happen without the Chickasaw Nation doing some heavy lifting -- and they probably wouldn't be interested in spending a lot of their money to build it away from their billion-dollar downtown investment.

Catch22, I might say. Once their vision for the property is realized it will actually be an excellent location for it, and a huge boon for the inner southside.

Thread Information