Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Hopefully it gets revisited one day, there probably is still room for it

2. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Stairs and elevator make sense, are needed, and in the case of the stairs probably ultimately will happen. A lock system makes no sense whatsoever.

The elevation change is 17 feet, which is substantial. But more importantly the boats on the canal are not big enough or powerful enough to operate on the river, and they BARELY fit on the canal itself, which has very tight turns, with bridge pillars that limit the beam (width) of the boats, and bridge HEIGHTS that limit the height of the topside. On a couple of the bridges the tour guides have to sit or duck to make it through. And the boats on the river - which are diesel powered - would simply sit on top of the concrete walls of the canal and probably couldn't even get their props wet if someone tried to set in on the water.

It's essentially impossible, without a complete redesign and replacement of the canal, which would lose all of its character in the bargain. It makes far more sense to find a way to extend the canal to places like Scissortail, MBG or a potential arena location in the CBD.

In the meantime, Devon Cruisers pull up right below the south canal terminus, only feet away from the canal turnaround, and ultimately they will be able to take passengers to OKANA.

It would have been to move canal boats down to the river. Which are much larger than the boats that the rowing coaches use to follow rowers, both for instruction and in case of emergencies.

4. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Trust me, I know a lot about the canal boats. Actually I know quite a bit about both. The two venues are incompatible, physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    The two venues are incompatible, physically.
    What about emotionally?

Trust me, I know a lot about the canal boats.
    are you sure ??

Stairs and elevator make sense, are needed, and in the case of the stairs probably ultimately will happen. A lock system makes no sense whatsoever.

The elevation change is 17 feet, which is substantial. But more importantly the boats on the canal are not big enough or powerful enough to operate on the river, and they BARELY fit on the canal itself, which has very tight turns, with bridge pillars that limit the beam (width) of the boats, and bridge HEIGHTS that limit the height of the topside. On a couple of the bridges the tour guides have to sit or duck to make it through. And the boats on the river - which are diesel powered - would simply sit on top of the concrete walls of the canal and probably couldn't even get their props wet if someone tried to set in on the water.

It's essentially impossible, without a complete redesign and replacement of the canal, which would lose all of its character in the bargain. It makes far more sense to find a way to extend the canal to places like Scissortail, MBG or a potential arena location in the CBD.

In the meantime, Devon Cruisers pull up right below the south canal terminus, only feet away from the canal turnaround, and ultimately they will be able to take passengers to OKANA.
    Ah that makes sense. Figured it wasn't quite that simple.

The fact is though having to get out, go up stairs, then get on another boat, it just loses a little luster.

I would guess canal improvements and connectivity is in Maps 5 after the arena is funded though. expand to scissor-tail and figure out just how big of a pain it would be to connect to okana.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Ah that makes sense. Figured it wasn't quite that simple.

The fact is though having to get out, go up stairs, then get on another boat, it just loses a little luster.

I would guess canal improvements and connectivity is in Maps 5 after the arena is funded though. expand to scissor-tail and figure out just how big of a pain it would be to connect to okana.
    I think if there was a focus to make the connection point more of a pit stop destination area with a bar/refreshment provider it would make the transition more enjoyable. Also, there needs to be a lot more collaboration & communication between the devon boats and the canal boats to make sure schedules align for pickup/dropoff. More signage & understanding for users to know what the process is.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    I think if there was a focus to make the connection point more of a pit stop destination area with a bar/refreshment provider it would make the transition more enjoyable.
    The Truck Yard will only be steps away.

I'm sure this project will move fast due to the disruption in rowing that will occur.

11. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm sure this project will move fast due to the disruption in rowing that will occur.

I have several friends who row at Riversport who were shocked when they heard about this haha.

That picture on the right is epic! Hope to see more high rises right by the river and give more of a London look to OKC!

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    What about emotionally?
    They're seeing a new counselor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    I have several friends who row at Riversport who were shocked when they heard about this haha.

That picture on the right is epic! Hope to see more high rises right by the river and give more of a London look to OKC!
    London? LOL. Never been to London I take it.

14. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    London? LOL. Never been to London I take it.
    Lol I have been to London and that pic reminded my of the river views. I'm sure there are cities that are better to compare to but that's just what came to mind.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F4ADE1D-45CB-4F33-B763-6014992BA834.jpeg 
Views:	135 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	18399

Such interesting construction on the indoor waterpark.

Those concrete slabs around the perimeter are actually poured-in-place tilt-up walls that are starting to be lifted into place.

Pete, your photos are incredible - but there really is no substitute to driving by and seeing it in person, especially off I-40. Even more impressive in person. Total gamechanger for the river and that stretch SE of downtown.

The hotel crane is being disassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesta Parker View Post
    The hotel crane is being disassembled.
    Sad OKC could very well have 1 tower crane by year-end. With none on the immediate horizon (next 6 months). It was cool having 8 at once.

Sad ? This project advances at lighting speed. I can not think of any reason to complain about it.
    Do you prefer an endless construction like the museum next door or actually enjoy the final product ?
    May be all these cranes were in the way of all the direct flights the airport director could not get, so at least you ll get that.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    Sad ? This project advances at lighting speed. I can not think of any reason to complain about it.
    Do you prefer an endless construction like the museum next door or actually enjoy the final product ?
    May be all these cranes were in the way of all the direct flights the airport director could not get, so at least you ll get that.
    I'm not complaining about the project at all. I just love seeing tower cranes. A true sign of growth and momentum. I love this project! It's moving along quite nicely. Just don't love losing the tower crane, even though I 1,000% get out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    I'm not complaining about the project at all. I just love seeing tower cranes. A true sign of growth and momentum. I love this project! It's moving along quite nicely. Just don't love losing the tower crane, even though I 1,000% get out.
    Don’t worry about it. Almost everyone understood the context of your remark.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    I read it as there are no other projects waiting in the queue that requires a tower crane. The surge of high rises Oklahoma City seems to be cooling off at least for the time being.

Kind of odd that the indoor waterpark is quite a ways away from the hotel

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    Kind of odd that the indoor waterpark is quite a ways away from the hotel
    It's not that far when you see it in person.

Also, their are enclosed connections between the hotel and convention center and then from the cc to the waterpark.

Thread Information