Widgets Magazine
Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I read it as there are no other projects waiting in the queue that requires a tower crane. The surge of high rises Oklahoma City seems to be cooling off at least for the time being.
    And you are surely right. I thought Chsooner wrote it like that too. Just a tease.

Have a good day everybody.

2. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Sad OKC could very well have 1 tower crane by year-end. With none on the immediate horizon (next 6 months). It was cool having 8 at once.
    Although not OKC, there will be a new tower crane going up in Norman on campus in the very near future. So we will at least see some new ones going up in the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's not that far when you see it in person.

Also, their are enclosed connections between the hotel and convention center and then from the cc to the waterpark.
    yeah I figured there would be some enclosed walkways but seems odd to have wet swimmers walking through a convention center

There are detailed 360 renderings of the waterpark on the site.https://www.okanaresort.com/

Its not a Great Wolf Lodge or anything, but you have to also remember there is a large lagoon with water slides and obstacle courses outside.

Quote Originally Posted by CatholicSooner View Post
    yeah I figured there would be some enclosed walkways but seems odd to have wet swimmers walking through a convention center
    The convention center only makes up part of that building. There is also a "Family Entertainment Center" and a restaurant or two.

The convention center only makes up part of that building. There is also a "Family Entertainment Center" and a restaurant or two.
    Is "Family Entertianment Center" code for Arcade and bowling?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    Is "Family Entertianment Center" code for Arcade and bowling?
    Probably just Arcade. I doubt bowling otherwise they would have probably mentioned it.

The first level (first image) is all convention center: meeting rooms, catering kitchen, back office operations.

The second level has the corridor to the waterpark (aka give-in-to-whiney-kid promenade), a large gastropub, retail shop, sweet shop, arcade, laser tag, mirror maze, axe throwing, breakout room, and taqueria.

Nice!

10. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

as far as OKC tower cranes, don't forget about Dream Hotel and Boardwalk, also the Boulevard Apartments and Alley's End. Those should bring on several tower cranes, including the tallest in the city/state since BOK. And that's just downtown off the top of my head but there's also CORE Bank in Auto Alley coming and several other midrises in the core that will bring tower cranes.

Cranes.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Its not a Great Wolf Lodge or anything, but you have to also remember there is a large lagoon with water slides and obstacle courses outside.
    The largest Great Wolf waterpark is 105,000 SF; this will be 100,000 SF with space to the south allocated for future expansion, plus tons of slides and other water recreation just outside.

From the 360 images, besides the splash pad area, i only saw 2 larger slides. That can not be the case. The Water-Zoo in Clinton has like 5 or 6 large slides and a lazy river. These images have to be missing some of slides, or they are keeping it more of a surprise. Also, i noticed in the 360 images, that outside the windows, it looked like they were in Nevada/Arizona. So, they could just be using renderings from another site to compare to.

Quote Originally Posted by NINfan1231 View Post
    From the 360 images, besides the splash pad area, i only saw 2 larger slides. That can not be the case. The Water-Zoo in Clinton has like 5 or 6 large slides and a lazy river. These images have to be missing some of slides, or they are keeping it more of a surprise. Also, i noticed in the 360 images, that outside the windows, it looked like they were in Nevada/Arizona. So, they could just be using renderings from another site to compare to.
    From these plans, looks like 5 slides:

I'm sure this project will move fast due to the disruption in rowing that will occur.

It's bad enough the homeless charge tolls for the bike trails downtown, but now we are giving them an actual bridge to charge tolls on. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowThings View Post
    It's bad enough the homeless charge tolls for the bike trails downtown, but now we are giving them an actual bridge to charge tolls on. LOL.
    Okana security will probably run them off at leaston the south side of the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowThings View Post
    Surely this is sarcasm right? Has there been a situation with homeless "charging tolls" for the bike trails? Or do you mean pan handling?

While I have not heard of any actual extortion occurring. There is a pretty established camp on the south side of the river between Agnew and May. It is tucked into the treeline against the livestock facilities.

I have experienced an attempt at being flagged down at this spot by transients, but I just kept moving (on bicycle). This end of the river trails I would not trust on foot toward dark.

Blog Entries

Northeast OKC Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Really impressive view with the skyline (background) across the river. Thanks for sharing, Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    While I have not heard of any actual extortion occurring. There is a pretty established camp on the south side of the river between Agnew and May. It is tucked into the treeline against the livestock facilities.
    That's been a living area for the destitute for nearly a hundred years. I recall reading about a Hooverville being there during the depression and people sneaking into the stockyards to milk the cows.

You can see the river near Okana is almost fully drained; the pedestrian bridge work should be starting soon.

I'm sure the bridge will be completed pretty quickly because the entire rowing area is now out of commission.

On another note, the main crane is gone....noooo.....lol

Drove up Eastern/MLK today from SE 29th up to Britton and the pictures of the indoor water park from actual ground level is amazing. The pictures don't really do it justice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-05 171949.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	18489
    I know the budget is stretched thin, but in my opinion, you might as well spend the extra $750k for the decorative touches if you're already spending that much on the pedestrian bridge.

The changes will dramatically increase the appeal of the bridge, and would make it become a destination to see on the river (especially at night), versus just something that is there over the water.

Quote Originally Posted by burksooner View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-05 171949.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	18489
    I know the budget is stretched thin, but in my opinion, you might as well spend the extra $750k for the decorative touches if you're already spending that much on the pedestrian bridge.

The changes will dramatically increase the appeal of the bridge, and would make it become a destination to see on the river (especially at night), versus just something that is there over the water.
    If I remember correctly, that is a city expense. I am sure if it were the Chickasaws building it, they would pony up for that. Maybe they will.

Thread Information