Quote Originally Posted by gaeddert2 View Post
    My Construction update Video
    I love these so much.

Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Here are some of the businesses planned:

4. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here are some of the businesses planned:

Looks like I will be very busy spending money here! Thanks for the info Pete!

Nice, good that they have a lot of "light" food. Don't want too much heavy food between liquor and swimming. With that being said, every resort has a signature steakhouse, so waiting to see what that will be.

BTW, 39 Restaurant inside the First Americans Museum is either closed or soon will be.

That's a bummer! I enjoyed them after each time I visited the museum. Hope they have plans already for the space.

Pete do you know if those are all local brands or a mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    Pete do you know if those are all local brands or a mix?
    I sure they'll contract with a big operator, like they do at airports or similar.

10. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

For Thirty-Nine, per their webpage:
    https://www.thirtyninerestaurant.com/

"FAM will be temporarily closing Thirty Nine Restaurant starting April 29th, 2024. Your patience during this period is truly appreciated as we revamp the dining experience in our restaurant. Be on the lookout for alternative food options, like educational dinners, food trucks, and extended café hours!"

Sounds like it is just a temporary closure but will still be under the same name? But, I'd put Pete's info first if it shows it's a permanent closing and changing to a whole different concept.

I do like the sound of educational dinners in that post. Hopefully, my first thought is correct and that means meals that are centered around teaching what the different tribes have traditionally cooked. Seems like an area that Oklahoma in general could use to stand out nationwide by promoting Native American foods, and Okana would be well-positioned to be a central hub of that.

11. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

surprising that OKC doesn't have much if any Native American food restaurants. I truly wish we can turn the page and finally embrace the Native American heritage we have in Oklahoma instead of being ashamed of the 'cowboy and indians' stereotype.

It is really what differentiates OKC from other major cities, we should celebrate it and have some high end First Americans restaurants perhaps Michelin rated.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    surprising that OKC doesn't have much if any Native American food restaurants. I truly wish we can turn the page and finally embrace the Native American heritage we have in Oklahoma instead of being ashamed of the 'cowboy and indians' stereotype.

It is really what differentiates OKC from other major cities, we should celebrate it and have some high end First Americans restaurants perhaps Michelin rated.
    Doesn't Michelin only rate restaurants in certain cities? Hard to have them in OKC. Maybe a chef that is Michelin-starred. But how many cook First American cuisine, and is it a viable option, fiscally? Just things to consider. The restaurant at the museum was never busy, and they paid an astronomical amount for them to be there.

sfinally embrace the Native American heritage we have in Oklahoma instead of being ashamed of the 'cowboy and indians' stereotype.

It is really what differentiates OKC from other major cities, we should celebrate it
    I said something similar on here about 15 years ago. We're too afraid to be seen as backward hicks. We try too hard to be seen as metropolitan. People travel to see something unique, something they can't get at home.

Quote Originally Posted by bison34 View Post
    Doesn't Michelin only rate restaurants in certain cities? Hard to have them in OKC. Maybe a chef that is Michelin-starred. But how many cook First American cuisine, and is it a viable option, fiscally? Just things to consider. The restaurant at the museum was never busy, and they paid an astronomical amount for them to be there.
    Yeah in the US it's only certain cities in California, Florida, Colorado, DC, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta. And most of these are within the last few years. Lots of places likely ahead of OKC in the list, no matter how good our restaurants are.

15. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

I 100% disagree with this. There were literally 100s of Native American tribes covering the entire country. What they ate would have been varied depending on their location, the season and what was available to eat. Much of what we already eat is similar to some things Native American tribes would have eaten such as salmon and other local fish, bison, venison, veggies and grains. What we see as "southwest influence" or Mexican food will have Native American roots.

That said, there is a Native American restaurant near me in southern Denver called Tocabe that l've eaten at once where the menu is very much like what you will find at the new generation of "healthy, natural and sourced" restaurants featuring salads, burritos and wraps.

If there is one thing in this country that contains little-to-no racial bias it is food. I totally disagree the lack of Native American restaurants has anything to do with shame, stereotypical or backwardiness. Do you feel that way eating a big T-bone, eating BBQ or eating Cajun food?

Edit: l want to add a couple of things to my last comment. There are things Native American tribes ate we would likely not eat or can't be obtained such as smaller animals or bear. My main point is l think much of what we already eat is Native American influenced. Maybe OKANA will try to put certain dishes into a direct Native American context.

16. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

so glad many agree with me on this. I think we can continue to be/strive to be metropolitan but still have Native American restaurants and culture like no other major city is or can do. Couple that with our already cow-town/cowboy theme (which IMO is the hick part), and OKC really could have a draw that no other major city has.

I know that Michelin rates certain cities, but what I'm hoping for is OKC to specialize in a restaurant type/food that NOBODY else does. A First American restaurant that is our go-to must-see, along the same lines as Cattlemans but first class.

And also more mainstream/affordable Native American restaurants. But I think this is something we can do that nobody else can, even Chicago (even though they too were Native lands way back). Maybe Im dreaming again, but I really think we should really embrace our Native American culture (and story) and celebrate it, we ARE unique in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    II totally disagree the lack of Native American restaurants has anything to do with shame, stereotypical or backwardiness.
    Go back and re-read what he wrote. That's not what he's saying at all. You're missing the point.

18. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Possibly some of it but l'm saying we already have a lot of Native American cuisine being sold under different names. Other things not already sold are often not going to be eaten or can't be easily sourced. Read my post again or better yet, exactly what food are you saying isn't already packaged under Southwest, Mexican or just average Americana? I gave an example of a Native American place l've eaten at and it's similar to food you can get, not only next door to it, but at dozens of other places.

Blog Entries

The guy who use to run Dan's Indian Tacos at the State Fair and other events throughout the metro in the 70s; also had a family member who use to sell ribs by the slab (fruit wood smoked) at the former IGA store on S. E. 44th Street & Bryant Ave. The family use to live in the Oakcliff area in OKC. They had some awesome and delicious Indian recipes.

Does Tim's Drive Inn (NW 50th and MacArthur) count as Native American food? Their Indian Tacos are/were (haven't been in a while) pretty good.

Who is the "we" here? I trust that Indigenous peoples and nations—the Chickasaw Nation in this case—will make decisions about how/when/under what conditions they open restaurants that focus on Indigenous foods. It's not like this is a public decision. And it certainly doesn't need to be done for better PR for the city, or it "differentiate" it. Yes, I hope people support Indigenous-owned businesses, but I am sure those working on the food options for the Chickasaw Nation know best how to represent their own food histories, culture, etc.

Yeah so the water slides look neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Yeah so the water slides look neat.
    Yeah, but are they Indigenous water slides?

24. Default Re: OKANA Resort & Indoor Waterpark

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Who is the "we" here? I trust that Indigenous peoples and nations—the Chickasaw Nation in this case—will make decisions about how/when/under what conditions they open restaurants that focus on Indigenous foods. It's not like this is a public decision. And it certainly doesn't need to be done for better PR for the city, or it "differentiate" it. Yes, I hope people support Indigenous-owned businesses, but I am sure those working on the food options for the Chickasaw Nation know best how to represent their own food histories, culture, etc.
    I feel its a missed opportunity that OKC hasn't so far embraced its culture. That's the we. Sure the nations are doing what they're doing, but OKC should. Other cities have 'something' about them, OKC doesn't really promote the 'something' about us, that actually is appealing to tourists. We can and should promote our Native American heritage/advantage in a Metropolitan/Cool city way, to tourists.

I’m not disagreeing with any of that, but just pointing out that it has to be done in partnership with tribal nations. That’s why I’m not questioning which restaurant options the Chickasaw Nation has in Okana. That’s where this discussion started.

Thread Information