Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Truck Yard

Default Re: Truck Yard

Pretty cool place as I have been to the one in Houston. And, it connects to the trail system so could be a nice spot for a beer, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coop2773 View Post
    I wasn't kidding, but easily could've misunderstood your comment. For that I apologize. I get fired up quick about people here who don't want OKC to be better! Sorry.
    It's cool. You'd be hard pressed to find bigger advocates for improving the city than many of us on this board, and I'm certainly no exception.

This is neat. Like others, I was mainly surprised that there COULD be development in this area. I've lamented how empty and unused that end of the canal is, and while the monument is nice and the landscaping and park type feel is cool at that end of the canal, there's really not much of a reason for anyone to travel down there.

4. Default Re: Truck Yard

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    The sticks in the mud are out in force on Facebook.
    Wow! I don't look at the FB page often but I can't believe the negative nellies on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Wow! I don't look at the FB page often but I can't believe the negative nellies on this one.
    And I already hid a bunch of the worst ones.

But generally, I try not to even look because it makes me fear for humanity.

Please post some of the good ones. I don't FB.

Blog Entries

Will the big building have a second floor or is it just high ceilings? If just high ceilings, that is a missed opportunity for cool views (skyline, boathouse stuff [e.g. fireworks], sunsets, etc).

^

I believe it is just one level.

Unbelievably stoked about this! Was just at the Greenville location during OU/TX and talking to my Dallas friends about how Truckyard and Katy Trail are my two favorite bars in their city and that it was a shame that OKC couldn't really figure it out with the Yard and Bleu Garten.
    Agree with shawnnw's comment above, surprised they aren't adding one of the two story "towers" (see Pete's second pic on original post) as there should be some cool views from this location. The tower also makes for a great reservation space for large parties and a shade structure for the people underneath where I usually post up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    Oh yeah. I'll admit my initial thought was that this felt a bit weird, like putting a massive bar in the middle of a greenspace/park and bringing a ton of noise/cars to an otherwise quiet area, but upon further thought it will probably be nice to activate that part of the canal a bit more as it is very underutilized. Seems like the people who are familiar with TY in Texas are excited, and it's the folks who don't know it who aren't. Between this and the pending development in the SW part of Bricktown (along with the fix-up of the former Tapwerks building) there could be a lot of more life coming to the area in the next few years.
    Yeah, my thoughts as well. Then I remembered that the parking lot and overpass doesn't look great either so what difference does it make if we lost a little bit of greenspace.

I wonder if any local developers or operators were made aware of this property suddenly being available or if this was just another back room Cathy O’Connell deal that seems to only be offered to copy and paste out of state deals.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    I wonder if any local developers or operators were made aware of this property suddenly being available or if this was just another back room Cathy O’Connell deal that seems to only be offered to copy and paste out of state deals.
    As part of his deal that was struck long ago, Randy Hogan has control of that property and the right to develop it.

I know he had been working with the Truck Yard for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    okc doesn't own this property ..

this is Hogan

Blog Entries

Does Hogan own land run? Could he bulldoze it if he wanted? Or would the city get involved?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Does Hogan own land run? Could he bulldoze it if he wanted? Or would the city get involved?
    he doesn't and it sits on the city easement ...... the same as him not being able to demo the canal

I had always assumed that the stretch of the canal south of the crosstown was pretty much undevelopable, because of how curated it looks through there. I think it's great to get something along the canal there. Is there more available space that could be developed that is controlled by Hogan (or anyone else), or is this about the extent of it?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I had always assumed that the stretch of the canal south of the crosstown was pretty much undevelopable, because of how curated it looks through there. I think it's great to get something along the canal there. Is there more available space that could be developed that is controlled by Hogan (or anyone else), or is this about the extent of it?
    there are a lot of small spots that are ripe for development on the canal in south bricktown .... i have heard that they are all now being looked at ..

This looks like a great activation of that part of the canal. It's dead down there.

Blog Entries

Great that they're all being looked at. And kinda cool that MAPs I stuff is still spurring economic development 30 years later.

I'm hopeful this development will help give the Boathouse District a little bit of life. This project is going to bring a lot of new activity to an area that is a 5 min walk to the Chesapeake Boathouse.

Blog Entries

What could really help boost carry-over traffic (from LBT to RiverSport) would be renovating the former river cruise ticket booth area into something else, maybe a food stand or something. IDK.

But also better maintenance of the underpass. Lights keep getting taken out and aren't repaired fast enough IMO.

Any update or timeline for this project ?

I hope it is still a go.

23. Default Re: Truck Yard

^^^^^
    I had a conversation last week with a reliable third party who said it's all still very much a go.

I was told they performed some environmental studies and got an all-clear, so we should start to see some movement soon.

Nothing happening quite yet. Such a nice spot.

Thread Information