Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Truck Yard

Default Re: Truck Yard

Walked by here last night on my way to the Boathouse District festival, looks like construction is in full swing!

I got to say, it seems like Bricktown is setting itself up nicely to become a hopping live music scene--you got Mojo's Blues and the Dueling Piano bar already there. Then Oklahoma Opry will hopefully add some more life and sounds to that northwest corner of the canal (not sure what their final design plans are and if they are planning to have music be heard from the canal), and then Truck Yard will definitely add life to Lower Bricktown. When I was walking, there was also a random DJ set up on that stage by the Sonic building with a small crowd watching, so if that space gets used more frequently too, I could imagine weekend nights where it would be hard to not hear some live music at any point along the canal.

It’s still crazy that people on Facebook are complaining about parking.

The only concern I can understand is the odd juxtaposition with the Land Run monument. Its a little weird now, but I bet this will activate the area more and it'll feel more natural as time progresses. I'm excited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    The only concern I can understand is the odd juxtaposition with the Land Run monument. Its a little weird now, but I bet this will activate the area more and it'll feel more natural as time progresses. I'm excited for it.
    I don't think the monument is going to be as noticeable from this location as people think. Maybe if you're on the very south end, but otherwise I'm not really seeing it. It's going to maybe be weirder from the perspective of tourists walking around the monument, but this section of the Canal is already quite loud due to I-40 traffic noise, so I'm not sure that adding an outdoor bar is really going to make that much of a difference.

I deleted many negative and completely uninformed posts (and the ample responses that were rightly calling them out).

I'm going to start banning people who do nothing but show up in threads about great new things happening, spout off a bunch of entirely inane comments, then continue to double-down on their nonsense when ample facts are presented.

Go do that crap on Facebook; it's not welcome here.

Update:

They are adding a video wall and a few covered seating structures:

That is sooo cool!! Very excited for this to happen!!

Didn't realize there was going to be so much indoor space...big benefit I think. Hope they're successful.

It will be bigger than expected. There are three excavators on site doing terrains work and other smaller equipment.
    It will be a huge win for this part of downtown.

This will be a great venue for downtown OKC! The only in Dallas and the Colony are super successful so it should also be in OKC!

So no work has been done on it for months?

Steel going up; you have to think they are going to pressing hard to open as early in the warm weather window as possible:

Truck yeah, good to finally see some real truckin' progress on this hitch.

Is live music still going to be a big part of this? The video wall took the place of the stage. Wondering if this evolving to be more of a country themed outdoor sports bar.

I wouldn't blame them. Its easier to have staff turn on TV's than trying to book acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

LOL this photo. Is the ultimate strategy in OKC to just lay a bunch of asphalt for no particular reason?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    LOL this photo. Is the ultimate strategy in OKC to just lay a bunch of asphalt for no particular reason?
    That parking lot has been there for 20 years hasn't it...?

23. Default Re: Truck Yard

Nearly 25.

Will that ot ever be developed, or is it almost impossible to? The blvd being right there doesn't help.

I would consider the Truck Yard new development. The picture was taken on a slow day. When there are events it is filled. The Uhaul parking lot is about to be gone(hopefully) so I don't see an out of the way parking lot that big of a deal. Plus, its a good spot for buses.

Thread Information