Last evening we headed over to Roughtail Brewing in far north OKC to attend their Oktoberfest event, circus tent, oompah bands, stein hoists and seasonal appropriate beer and all. Pretty fun. My wife just happened into this event, mainly because she saw the tent and stopped in to ask about it. I haven't seen any notices about these annual fall celebrations. Now that Old Germany restaurant in Choctaw is gone, so is their annual event. This got me thinking back to the local Oktoberfest events that I used to attend in OKC. I moved to this area in 1980 and I seem to remember a pretty large celebration in downtown OKC, just like the annual arts festival, one block of North Hudson Avenue was restricted to pedestrian traffic and the event spanned that block, large tents, German bands, German food and beer. It seems like that lasted for a few years but then it got smaller. It moved to a section of the NW side of The Myriad, on the sidewalk. Then it disappeared ... Maybe an attempt at the Zoo or Frontier City. And then Mike Turek hosted it at his Old Germany Restaurant in Choctaw. As it grew larger it expanded into his parking lot and then eventually into the city park nearby, a truly huge event. And then it stopped when he closed the restaurant. Nothing for a few years until this weekend. My wife remembers none of this. Do any of you share these memories of German festivals gone by ? Oh, and Prost !