Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Acronym of the day: QLCS = Quasi-Linear Convective System.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Acronym of the day: QLCS = Quasi-Linear Convective System.
    Wasn't there a time when they called those big, long-lasting lines Derechos?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Wasn't there a time when they called those big, long-lasting lines Derechos?
    MCS is basically the culprit of a Derecho. An MCS is any cluster of storms that is self-fulfilling in development. In other words, the storms' resulting rain-cooled air is directly responsible for developing additional storms around it, thus the prolonged events that usually span many miles. A Derecho is a specific event from an MCS that is producing strong winds 58+mph across 250 or more miles.

Derecho is very rare, and is most common across the upper Mississippi Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    MCS is basically the culprit of a Derecho. An MCS is any cluster of storms that is self-fulfilling in development. In other words, the storms' resulting rain-cooled air is directly responsible for developing additional storms around it, thus the prolonged events that usually span many miles. A Derecho is a specific event from an MCS that is producing strong winds 58+mph across 250 or more miles.

Derecho is very rare, and is most common across the upper Mississippi Valley.
    Good enough.

I am *fairly* sure I remember a legitimate Derecho back in 2004 that started up in the NW Kansas area one afternoon/evening, and held together (and grew) as it rolled into central OKlahoma about 5am the next morning. And the only reason I remember that is because my family was getting ready to leave on a driving vacation trip to San Antonio that next morning, and we planned to leave at 6AM to head to Dallas as a first stopover, but when I was up early getting ready I saw the radar and the TV guys talking about this big beast storm that had rolled in from Kansas and was going to hit OKC before we planned to leave. I didn't want any part of driving through or near it, so I had called my mom and told her we were picking her up early, which we did, and we literally were driving out of OKC on I-35 south through Moore as the early wind gusts were rolling in and lightning was approaching. Another twenty minutes and I think we'd have been in the big middle of it LOL

Storms popping up west of us, could be a bumpy night. Hopefully the QLCS spinup threat stays low and the hail threat peters out before it hits the metro.

Severe line should hit OKC around 1230. Wind threat highest.

Edited timing. Line is fast!

Bring it on I’m not impressed with these storms psh

Summary

NWS confirmed today, a weak tornado from last night from north of Norman to the edge of SE OKC.

Tonight & tomorrow, north winds will continue to increase. For much of the state, 30mph winds are likely. High fire danger.

Anon, I realize looking ahead is a bit of a crapshoot, but right now what's the weather like for next Friday/Saturday (Nov 5/6)? I know we've had a stretch of nice weekends, but I sure could use one more nice Saturday next week. Any hope? Monday looks like the best day next week right now...?

Frost warning for most of OK tonight as temps will drift into the upper 30s. Saturday looks amazing with high near 70F with winds shifting, so virtually no wind. Sunday morning they turn back out of the north and bring in cooler air.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Anon, I realize looking ahead is a bit of a crapshoot, but right now what's the weather like for next Friday/Saturday (Nov 5/6)? I know we've had a stretch of nice weekends, but I sure could use one more nice Saturday next week. Any hope? Monday looks like the best day next week right now...?
    Looks like we could have a storm in the region around that time.

Thread Information