Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Is this the remnants of Hurricane Pamela moving north out of Mexico?

Yes, it is.

HRRR still going with developing a small cluster of quick moving storms this late evening.

Ive tried to search and assume its been asked but what weather alert apps do you use on phone? I dont like waking up knowing a tornado passed by ��

If you have an iOS phone, go to Settings > Notifications [scroll all the way down] > Government Alerts.

I'm sure Android has something similar.

As decent instability has returned quickly to the area, confidence is increasing for storms to develop just WSW of OKC after dark tonight. Damaging winds will be the main threat. SPC has outlined a non-zero tornado risk of 2% for areas just E of the metro. Any cells or tail-end storm will have higher chances of hail and tornado threat.

As expected, storms firing west of the OKC metro and moving east overnight

Cell coming into SW metro is now severe warned for hail. ~11:52pm

Looks like a swath of 60-70 mph winds and quarter to golf ball sized hail roughly from Mustang to Midwest City. 70 mph gust recorded at the airport. Threat is now over for the Metro and our reward for getting through the past five days is an absolutely gorgeous weekend.

Fortunately, all or nearly all the tornadoes have been rated EF0 or EF1.

10. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Looks like a swath of 60-70 mph winds and quarter to golf ball sized hail roughly from Mustang to Midwest City. 70 mph gust recorded at the airport. Threat is now over for the Metro and our reward for getting through the past five days is an absolutely gorgeous weekend.
    FAA Center by the airport is closed today due to the weather/loss of power from the storms

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Soap Box: The warning sirens are meant for OUTDOOR warning. Not to be heard inside your house. https://www.okc.gov/residents/prepar...o-do/tornadoes

"The best sources to get weather related warnings are in this order:

NOAA Weather Radio All-Hazards
    Smartphone or tablet app, like the Emergency app from the American Red Cross for iOS (Apple) and Android devices.
    Outdoor warning sirens if you are outdoors.
    Although they should not be your only sources for weather warnings, the following can be used as secondary sources with the primary sources listed above:

Local television, radio and multimedia news organizations, on traditional (TV and radio) and streaming platforms.
    The local National Weather Service website, mobile website and Twitter account.
    The City of Oklahoma City’s Twitter and Facebook accounts."
    Got on here to say this.

NEVER, EVER rely on the outdoor sirens. They were never meant to be heard in your home, so don't assume you will hear it during a storm. That mentality has killed many people in the last 20 years.

However, I will stipulate that where this post lists local media and the NWS websites as secondary, they can be part of your primary alerting method as well. Remember, NOAA Weather Radios are still county-based, not polygon specific -- local television and the NWS websites will have specific information on the area covered by the polygon. If you're in the polygon, you need to act...and if you're not, you don't have to do anything. There were parts of Norman and of far north OKC that would have received warnings through NWR last night-- but didn't need to do anything because they were not in the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    FAA Center by the airport is closed today due to the weather/loss of power from the storms
    Not surprised, I intercepted it around SH-152 & Meridian and it was easily one of the more powerful storms I’ve ever seen. Had to call in some power lines over the road at SW 54th & MacArthur on my way back home as well.

13. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OKCbyTRANSFER View Post
    Much of the area from I40 to SW74th from around MacArthur to around Portland is off. LOTS of downed poles. It could be awhile.

Lows in the 40s this weekend, highs near 70. Next week looks fantastic. Dry weather is back.

LOVE this weather!

16. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

True patio weather has returned. Just in time for a fantastic weather day for Homecoming at OU tomorrow. Can't wait.

17. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Wow!! The power is back on at our building but there are 3 poles broken off at the ground with only the lines holding them up. I guess OG&E has faith in the wires.

18. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    True patio weather has returned. Just in time for a fantastic weather day for Homecoming at OU tomorrow. Can't wait.
    Perfect Miata top down weather too.

19. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Don't remind me that I sold my Miata last year....

I was going but a Fiat 124 but I’m really eyeing a Miata instead.

I love my 124! Happy to chat pros and cons and (of course very minor) differences of the two of you like!

22. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Much of the area from I40 to SW74th from around MacArthur to around Portland is off. LOTS of downed poles. It could be awhile.
    Messages this morning, center is closed b/c no power. Mid morning, messages stating center open. I scrambled to get to work on short notice. Bill, you were right. Traffic signals out, poles down, crews out, roads closed. With all that, plus a skeleton staff, they could have just called the whole day at that point.

Woke up to the '40s this morning!

When I turned it on, my heater must have thought it was a stickup.

Round of storms will take aim on the state tonight. Should see development heading toward nightfall across W OK. Main threat is damaging winds as storms will attempt to become linear rather quickly. Quick tornado spinups along the line is not out of the question.

as always thank you

Thread Information