Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Tornado Watch out for W OK. 1-3 supercells currently on NNE tracks out there.

For C OK, we will likely see a severe thunderstorm watch placed over the area well after dark.

New MD out for these two long-track supercells. Both have produced multiple tornadoes.

C OK is a less favorable environment for the continuation of these cells. The last few scans as of about 9:30 pm show the storm SW of OKC weakening already.

Anadarko is next in the track (two nights in a row).

Will there be any rain for OKC tonight, or is it looking dry?

OKC will get a thin line of storms late tonight. Gusty winds primary threat.

Tornado Warning for W OKC as radar detects shear on front of line that could be indicative of a tornado.

Likely QLCS spin-up around I-40 and Council right now, not good given the early-morning timing.

Circulation is broad. Just north of Downtown OKC. ~5:22am

Circulation has passed OKC. No reports of damage or anything that I have seen. Sirens never sounded for downtown OKC.

9. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

^^^^^^^^^
    They definitely sounded in Uptown/HH/Mesta/Gatewood. Glad I was already up and around. Early morning tornado sirens suck.

Heard them way out west at Reno & Cemetery.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^
    They definitely sounded in Uptown/HH/Mesta/Gatewood. Glad I was already up and around. Early morning tornado sirens suck.
    Yes we heard them in Gatewood as well. The alert from our phone woke us up and then we heard the sirens so we turned on the news. Suddenly started blowing pretty hard and pouring rain and then it was over in a few minutes. Pretty jarring way to start the day for sure.

Strange, I live downtown and did not hear any sirens here. I even went outside. Maybe they sounded only at the very beginning of the warning.

13. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Strange, I live downtown and did not hear any sirens here. I even went outside. Maybe they sounded only at the very beginning of the warning.
    I'm downtown by Art Museum and had sirens wake me up.

Was awakened by distant sirens up by Penn Square, nothing on our phones though. Only lost power for a brief time and neighborhood trees are still up.

Quote Originally Posted by snark0leptic View Post
    Was awakened by distant sirens up by Penn Square, nothing on our phones though. Only lost power for a brief time and neighborhood trees are still up.
    Yes, also live near Penn Square and only semi-conscious after coming out of deep sleep, at first I couldn't make sense of the sustained noise that seemed to be coming from south of me.

Then a brief, clipped ending came and I realized it was a distant storm siren.

There is a siren very close to me at the neighborhood school and it never sounded, so even though I was somewhat aware of lightning, thunder and driving rain, I slipped back into slumberland.

Now, it's a little disconcerting to know that was all happening nearby and I didn't even bother to wake up. I hope that wouldn't be the case if the siren near me is ever activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, also live near Penn Square and only semi-conscious after coming out of deep sleep, at first I couldn't make sense of the sustained noise that seemed to be coming from south of me.

Then a brief, clipped ending came and I realized it was a distant storm siren.

There is a siren very close to me at the neighborhood school and it never sounded, so even though I was somewhat aware of lightning, thunder and driving rain, I slipped back into slumberland.

Now, it's a little disconcerting to know that was all happening nearby and I didn't even bother to wake up. I hope that wouldn't be the case if the siren near me is ever activated.
    ^^ We didn't hear the sirens in Crown Heights, and it was a pretty weird feeling to wake up and see how close the storm was to our house.

Oh weird - we heard them loud and clear at our house just a few blocks away. Trying to remember what time it was. Maybe 5:15? I remember it coming through Edgemere a few minutes earlier than the timeline KFOR was showing on screen, which I think put it at the capitol at 5:22.

Interestingly the virtual rail fan video captures it! The sirens start just before 5:10am and at about 5:19am there are multiple clear power flashes north of downtown.

(The camera is live but you can go backwards and the time is in the upper right hand corner of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15XG4afPlg

I'm on the west side of the OKC Golf & Country Club - phone blared at 5:07 with emergency alert and the sirens went off like two minutes later. Was blowing like crazy but no damage other than dog peeing on the rug. Saw two electric poles damaged, one on 63rd east of Villa and one at Grand & Western. Stoplights were all blinking. Heard there was a fire at the country club fitness center either caused by lighting or downed power lines. Yikes, no way to wake up.

20. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Heard them at Hefner & Council at the time the rotation was at I40 & Council. Stayed on the phone with my wife while the rotation was near the Capital moving towards the zoo. Her office isn't far off of that path.

Saw news video of a big old tree snapped off just above the ground at 10th & Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC1987 View Post
    Interestingly the virtual rail fan video captures it! The sirens start just before 5:10am and at about 5:19am there are multiple clear power flashes north of downtown.

(The camera is live but you can go backwards and the time is in the upper right hand corner of the video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O15XG4afPlg

This is an amazing video! But it does show that the sirens were not functioning correctly.

The warning was issued at 5:07am

The sirens began [in the video at least], just before 5:10am. Then you can hear them powering down at 5:13am.

The powerflashes in the video occur at around 5:18am.

The circulation was very much not out of the area by 5:13am.

This makes sense why I did not hear them downtown when I went outside around 5:15am. I suppose the only true way to investigate would be the city and NWS reviewing the polygon-to-siren warning system.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Circulation has passed OKC. No reports of damage or anything that I have seen. Sirens never sounded for downtown OKC.
    I got the emergency alert on my phone about 4-5 minutes before I ever heard sirens in Downtown OKC. I live at Aviare/Avana by the Civic Center. Only heard them go off once and it was very brief. Saturday testing at noon has longer sirens.

I’m so used to watching weather coverage for a couple of hours before anything gets close so it was pretty crazy how quickly all of that happened. Fortunately the damage wasn’t too severe other than some tree limbs but that could’ve been potentially very bad given the fact that most of us were still half asleep trying by make sense of what the heck was happening.

Chance of one last round of storm development Thursday afternoon with wrap-around action.

Soap Box: The warning sirens are meant for OUTDOOR warning. Not to be heard inside your house. https://www.okc.gov/residents/prepar...o-do/tornadoes

"The best sources to get weather related warnings are in this order:

NOAA Weather Radio All-Hazards
    Smartphone or tablet app, like the Emergency app from the American Red Cross for iOS (Apple) and Android devices.
    Outdoor warning sirens if you are outdoors.
    Although they should not be your only sources for weather warnings, the following can be used as secondary sources with the primary sources listed above:

Local television, radio and multimedia news organizations, on traditional (TV and radio) and streaming platforms.
    The local National Weather Service website, mobile website and Twitter account.
    The City of Oklahoma City’s Twitter and Facebook accounts."

Thread Information