Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

Tornado watch issued. “Several strong tornadoes likely.” Not quite a PDS watch, but close https://twitter.com/nwstornado/statu...968131073?s=21

Conditions warranting a 70% probability of one or more EF2 tornado.

Tornado watch out for the state from the NE to SW corner until 10pm in yellow. A line of storms have sprung up just west of I-35.

With the threat of severe weather and hail, I once again marvel at people that live in this weather all year every year and fill their garages with mainly worthless junk and park their expensive cars in the elements.

On my cul-de-sac, everyone has a 2-car garage and only me (who parked his car inside from the very first day of move-in) and one other homeowner (one of 3 cars anyway) parks their vehicles in the garage.

Looking out my front window I can see a brand new $60K+ truck, a Mercedes, a Honda Pilot, a BMW and a few other generally nice cars sitting in the driveway or street, as they are always are.

^^^ Wife's 2003 Civic has always been the better car (yes, better than my 2007 Civic), so it's always been in the garage, but when I get my electric Mini Cooper, she's getting pushed out, just because I need the outlet inside the garage (we only have a 1.5 car garage).

I’m one of those people… But I keep my 65 Plymouth and two motorcycles in my garage. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB0317C6-44B9-4AB2-A106-AA664B1C46FC.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	17145

Chickasha. Get ready.

Anon, any chance of the front coming in and mitigating this at least some? Appears to be getting closer to Central OK

I’m on the NW side of the city and the cold front just got here. Very cool wind coming in now.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    I’m on the NW side of the city and the cold front just got here. Very cool wind coming in now.
    That's good news!

OKC just heavy rain and wind. S Norman is the tornado spot right now.

Norman just got crushed with golfball+ hail.

Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    With the threat of severe weather and hail, I once again marvel at people that live in this weather all year every year and fill their garages with mainly worthless junk and park their expensive cars in the elements.

On my cul-de-sac, everyone has a 2-car garage and only me (who parked his car inside from the very first day of move-in) and one other homeowner (one of 3 cars anyway) parks their vehicles in the garage.

Looking out my front window I can see a brand new $60K+ truck, a Mercedes, a Honda Pilot, a BMW and a few other generally nice cars sitting in the driveway or street, as they are always are.
    I have a neighbor with a two car garage. No cars in it. Just junk.

I see them taping cardboard to their windows and top of their car as the storm approaching. I just laughed and went back inside. I always makes me want to tell them that their garage would be a great place to protect those cars

I love walking around at night as I love to walk and I’m more of a night person anyways. Around my neighborhood in Edmond there were a lot of car thefts happening apparently(I never saw anything). Neighbors starting calling the police on anyone they saw walking outside at night(including me). Cops eventually come to know me by name and eventually started driving right past me or sometimes they’d talk to me just checking in.

Whenever I’d walk around during the day people would have their garages open and I’d say at least over 30 percent of all the homes have crap stacked to the wall. This isn’t a poor neighborhood either and you’d think that they could spend some money on either a new room for their hobbies or a storage unit. I guess they’d rather dispose money on repairing their car from a broken window. Whatever.

^

And many of them rent a storage unit where they pay money to stash even more junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

And many of them rent a storage unit where they pay money to stash even more junk.
    I know someone who does that. I love them to death but I genuinely believe they are a compulsive hoarder as they seem unable to turn anything down no matter how junky it is. I also know several people who have one of the guest rooms packed to the ceiling with crap. One lady I know has two homes both completely stacked with crap. I really wonder how many other countries around the world have this problem.

17. Default Re: October 2021- General Weather Discussion

It’s not only hoarders, in the psychological disorder sense. This is an American sociological problem. We have placed such an emphasis on the acquisition of “stuff” that many people have lost perspective on quality. And speaking of quality, they’ve missed out on the of LIFE that comes from not being ruled by possessions. Many of those garages are full of toys they never use, furniture they don’t have room for, etc.. All they know is that they feel societal pressure to have MORE. It’s a national sickness.

"That which you hold holds you in return."

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    It’s not only hoarders, in the psychological disorder sense. This is an American sociological problem. We have placed such an emphasis on the acquisition of “stuff” that many people have lost perspective on quality. And speaking of quality, they’ve missed out on the of LIFE that comes from not being ruled by possessions. Many of those garages are full of toys they never use, furniture they don’t have room for, etc.. All they know is that they feel societal pressure to have MORE. It’s a national sickness.
    that reminds me of a book i read around 25 years ago, 'the mcdonaldization of society.' its thesis was basically the perception of 'quantity' as 'quality'... it was a pretty good read. in the years since, i think we have softened from that stance somewhat but it's still a big part of our culture.

Any thoughts on the storm on Tuesday/Wednesday? Doesn’t seem as bad but the models seem to be showing signs of a PDS tornado type of day. At least, they were suggesting that this morning.

Tornado threat looks lower at this time. Looks like an after-dark line of storms deal for most of the state. The earlier, discrete cells would be across NW/W OK. Of course embedded supercells producing larger hail and spinups along a line is in the cards as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Tornado threat looks lower at this time. Looks like an after-dark line of storms deal for most of the state. The earlier, discrete cells would be across NW/W OK. Of course embedded supercells producing larger hail and spinups along a line is in the cards as well.

Thanks! Wow, those models have changed a bit compared to what I was seeing in the last run. Pretty crazy.

HRRR This afternoon is suggesting a few supercells to develop ahead of the line this afternoon. If this comes to fruition I would place an elevated hail and tornado risk for W OK, and maybe skirting into C OK, although it shows early storms losing some steam as they approach C OK.

Here is a snapshot showing a single supercell marching up I-44.

SPC has expanded the hatched 10% tornado and 30% hail zones from only far W and NW OK, to now include basically all of W OK from western edge of the OKC metro.

MD is out for far W OK and TX PH. Noting current low chance of development of any early supercells, but high impact from anything that does get up. cumulus field is present across NW TX and seen spreading northward.

I think we could see a PDS tornado watch for the TX/OK border going up into SW KS.

Thread Information