Widgets Magazine

Thread: Old service station at I-44 & Penn

Northwest OKC Old service station at I-44 & Penn

Took these this afternoon (Thursday 9/30/21).

The property hasn't sold and there have been no new building permits filed.

As was posted on the Lipsmackers thread, the property had become a big homeless camp and there was recently a small fire, so I'm assuming the demo is to limit liability.

Default Re: Old service station at I-44 & Penn

I just moved over near this and didn't realize it had become such a magnet for that sort of activity. I clearly wasn't the only one who called to report the fire... and not the only one who will be glad that it's razed.

When the gas station was open for business, I always thought it was rather dangerous to see tenants from the neighboring apartment complex darting across Pennsylvania (and not using the crosswalk) to shop at the location.

Looking at it particularly in the first picture that is a very awkward piece of property. Penn, I-44, and the drainage canal are some pretty firm boundaries.

It's a great location with high visibility.

Seems like a good spot for 7-11, given the way they have been aggressively expanding under the new corporate ownership.

There is an old, crappy 7-11 without gas pumps just to the south at NW 36th & Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It's a great location with high visibility.

Seems like a good spot for 7-11, given the way they have been aggressively expanding under the new corporate ownership.

There is an old, crappy 7-11 without gas pumps just to the south at NW 36th & Penn.
    Did that location never have pumps or did they have to remove old ones and there was not enough room for modern ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    Did that location never have pumps or did they have to remove old ones and there was not enough room for modern ones?
    I don't believe the 36th & Penn location ever had pumps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E242F2E9-C692-4E28-949E-4AD94122CDAE.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	17125

^

I believe the question was about the 7-11 at 36th & Penn, not the gas station at I-44 & Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I believe the question was about the 7-11 at 36th & Penn, not the gas station at I-44 & Penn.
    Sorry my bad.

Can remember late 90's when a burger king was in the gas station. Think it was a Conaco at the time.

12. Default Re: Old service station at I-44 & Penn

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Can remember late 90's when a burger king was in the gas station. Think it was a Conaco at the time.
    I remember the Burger King there, probably into the early 2000s. Sometime around 2006-07, there was a roast beef restaurant called Lion's Choice there, but it didn't last very long. After it closed, I think the restaurant space remained empty until Lip Smackers opened there.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    I remember the Burger King there, probably into the early 2000s. Sometime around 2006-07, there was a roast beef restaurant called Lion's Choice there, but it didn't last very long. After it closed, I think the restaurant space remained empty until Lip Smackers opened there.
    I was so excited when Lion's Choice opened their store here... they're a St. Louis staple and their roast beef sandwiches are pretty great. Unfortunately, they weren't able to keep the same level of quality and never really did much in the way of advertising, so they didn't last long at all... maybe a year?

Man, now I'm missing two restaurants at the same time - Lion's Choice and Lip Smackers

14. Default Re: Old service station at I-44 & Penn

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    I was so excited when Lion's Choice opened their store here... they're a St. Louis staple and their roast beef sandwiches are pretty great. Unfortunately, they weren't able to keep the same level of quality and never really did much in the way of advertising, so they didn't last long at all... maybe a year?

Man, now I'm missing two restaurants at the same time - Lion's Choice and Lip Smackers
    ^^ Yes! I found Lions Choice when I lived in St Louis many years ago and then saw it when I moved here. Then it closed. I liked it in StL, but that was 20 years ago!

Has been a lot of activity at this site recently.

Although the property hasn't sold, I believe it may be under contract to 7-Eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post

used to go the the Lion's choise in MWC all the time when they opened ..... but it was never busy so i was not surprised that they didn't make it ..

This property is now under contract.

I don't know the buyer as the owner says it's confidential, but my bet is still 7-Eleven.

Thread Information