Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: QuikTrip

Large Chain QuikTrip

QuikTrip planning first OKC location

Tulsa-based QuikTrip is planning its first Oklahoma City location at E. Hefner Road and I-35.

The convenience store chain announced earlier this year plans to create a network of remote travel centers for areas of the country with high traffic.

While a standard QuikTrip range in size from 4,100 to 5,700 square feet, travel centers average approximately 8,000 square feet.

Travel centers also feature expanded kitchens as well as more gas pumps and diesel bays for trucks, which are generally located on the backside of the stores.

The move comes after the Brown family recently sold all the Central Oklahoma 7-Elevens to corporate headquarters. QuikTrip was rumored to have had a gentleman's agreement to not enter the OKC market as long as the Browns had ownership.

It also appears that QuikTrip may be planning another travel center for the Moore/Norman area.

QuikTrip currently operates over 900 locations nationwide.

Default Re: QuikTrip

Bout time. Glad to see them coming to the OKC area. Just North of Purcell would be a good location for their Norman location.

Well that didn't take too long.

Just a few years ago, the OKC market was dominated by ultra-crappy 7-11's and Circle K's.

Now, OnCue is almost everywhere, there are a bunch of highly-improved 7-11's, Casey's is everywhere, and now comes QT.

What a staggering difference in a short period of time.

Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion but it just boggles my mind how people can get so worked up about a gas station. Plus it seems OKC is so saturated. Maybe not on the highway though. Oh well.

Frequently stop at the QT in Gainesville to/from the Dallas area. Nice and clean, always bustling, seems to be a little more compact than does OnCue but still very nice.

Woah, never thought I'd see the day.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion but it just boggles my mind how people can get so worked up about a gas station. Plus it seems OKC is so saturated. Maybe not on the highway though. Oh well.
    The average person uses a place like OnCue or QT more than any other business.

Wow. Blood in the water and the crocs show up.

I've always liked Quik Trip.

What of the fabled gentlemen's agreement between the QT and OnCue owners not to encroach on the other's territories?

Its crazy it took them this long to enter the Oklahoma City market, with them being headquartered right up the road. They have been around a while, and they are all over DFW, Wichita, Kansas City....just crazy OKC didn't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Its crazy it took them this long to enter the Oklahoma City market, with them being headquartered right up the road. They have been around a while, and they are all over DFW, Wichita, Kansas City....just crazy OKC didn't have one.
    It's because QT had a handshake deal not to enter the OKC market as long as the Brown family owned 7-11.

The Browns recently sold to corporate, so that's what changed.

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    What of the fabled gentlemen's agreement between the QT and OnCue owners not to encroach on the other's territories?
    Pretty sure that was between QT and the Browns that owned 7-Eleven, not OnCue.

14. Default Re: QuikTrip

Quote Originally Posted by White Peacock View Post
    It was a fable.... the agreement was between QT and the Brown family who owned the 7-11's in OKC.

15. Default Re: QuikTrip

Well I know OnCue is currently focused on Houston but I'm wondering how soon they'll look at taking on Tulsa.

There are already a hand full of old gas stations they have taken over out in rural areas and labeled as OnCue Express but these are all just remodels similar to what Casey's did with Circle K. Not full blown OnCue's.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Well I know OnCue is currently focused on Houston but I'm wondering how soon they'll look at taking on Tulsa.

There are already a hand full of old gas stations they have taken over out in rural areas and labeled as OnCue Express but these are all just remodels similar to what Casey's did with Circle K. Not full blown OnCue's.
    I don't know if there is a square mile in Tulsa that doesn't have a QT on it. Kum & Go has tried to take on QT, but doesn't seem to be doing too well. Tulsan's just have a weird obsession and dedication to QT that is unlike anything i've ever seen, so I don't know if OnCue could really be successful up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post

Right, and that's exactly what you find at the Wellston Exit on I-44. Former something else, now branded as an OnCue, the building is weird.

As a native Tulsan and big admirer of QT, two things:

1. I guess Aaron Dodson couldn't find financing for redeveloping the area around his building so he finally sold it. I remember talking to him about it six years ago and nothing was ever done.

2. I actually like OnCue better. Unless QT starts adding drive thrus to their OKC locations, I think they are pretty much the same. The oncues I have been into are usually clean and stocked. Same at QT in Tulsa, but without the DT. I know it will do well because there is already a base for it, but oncue might have oversaturated the market already unless QT can find a lot of holes in the market. As stated, if they are just off of highways, that could be their niche.

19. Default Re: QuikTrip

QT getting one down in Norman on 35 and beating the "potential" Buccees to that area is probably a good idea. Lots of traffic there and the OnCues aren't right on 35.

Also bets on when this story gets stolen on The Oklahoman?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Lots of traffic there and the OnCues aren't right on 35.
    The new one on Lindsey St. is all but.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly405Tulsan View Post
    I don't know if there is a square mile in Tulsa that doesn't have a QT on it. Kum & Go has tried to take on QT, but doesn't seem to be doing too well. Tulsan's just have a weird obsession and dedication to QT that is unlike anything i've ever seen, so I don't know if OnCue could really be successful up here.
    Very true on QT's saturation of the Tulsa market. I wish they could come up with more of a walkable urban format store though - a few of their recent midtown Tulsa stores have been oversized for their surroundings. I get it but don't like their "one size fits all" approach to new stores.

Blog Entries

Now we will have a variety of convenient stores in our city. QT we've been waiting for you to enter the OKC market.

But will it have a drive thru?

Seriously though, this has been a long time coming. I'm excited to see how Oncue responds.

24. Default Re: QuikTrip

I grew up in Wichita, and we had QT (and Kwik Shop, owned by Dillon's). For 30 or so years after moving back to my family's OKC-area roots, I visited Wichita several times a year to see my mom, and often went to QT while I was there, and watched as they grew and modernized. It's perfectly nice. I'm saying all of this to say that I have no axe to grind against QT; glad we will now have the choice. But seriously, OnCue is better.

I just this weekend took a trip to the Kansas City area and visited QT on multiple occasions, including in Wichita, KC and several of times to the one near my hotel in Kearney, MO. I just don't see it. I mean, It's nice and all, but I think the QT hype is really overblown. I think OKC people came to desire QT mostly based upon market being dominated for years by trash C-stores, combined with the regular razzing we got from our Tulsa neighbors. I'll probably be sticking with OnCue when given a choice between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly405Tulsan View Post
    Tulsan's just have a weird obsession and dedication to QT that is unlike anything i've ever seen, so I don't know if OnCue could really be successful up here.
    What a bunch of wackos for supporting a well run company headquartered in their community. Total insanity.

I get that some people like OnCue better, but to be fair, they really ripped their model off of QT. But maybe they're doing it better now in some people's opinion.

Thread Information