Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: QuikTrip

Default Re: QuikTrip

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    What a bunch of wackos for supporting a well run company headquartered in their community. Total insanity.

I get that some people like OnCue better, but to be fair, they really ripped their model off of QT. But maybe they're doing it better now in some people's opinion.
    There is nothing new under the sun. Bashing a company for taking someone's model and possibly improving on it isn't really fair.

What a bunch of wackos for supporting a well run company headquartered in their community. Total insanity.

I get that some people like OnCue better, but to be fair, they really ripped their model off of QT. But maybe they're doing it better now in some people's opinion.
    If I remember correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong) the founder of oncue was a higher up at QT before moving on to start his own thing. It could be a rumor, but seeing the similarities, it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    If I remember correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong) the founder of oncue was a higher up at QT before moving on to start his own thing. It could be a rumor, but seeing the similarities, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Maybe things first got started back decades ago in Stillwater where there used to be a QT. The founder died, and the founder's son took over the business not yet named Oncue. In 2004, Jim Griffith, Chief Executive Officer of Griffith Petroleum, the founder's son, formed a joint venture with Shaw’s Gulf, Inc. to create OnCue Express. Griffith is now a little past retirement age. I wonder if he is still at it. Oncue is headquartered in a modest 1 story building in downtown Stillwater. Perhaps it was about the founder's son as the story goes. Or maybe QT was never a part of the story.

Here are the plans for the Hefner/I-35 location. You can see the truck fueling stations are behind (west) of the building which faces east towards I-35.

10 fueling islands for cars, 7 for trucks.

I love how all the other media outlets took Pete’s findings and announced this but all they did was call corporate and took the bait of “we are considering OKC but nothing has been decided”

Yet Pete has location and building plans. Good job on being first and most detailed on these things as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here are the plans for the Hefner/I-35 location. You can see the truck fueling stations are behind (west) of the building which faces east towards I-35.

10 fueling islands for cars, 7 for trucks.
    Also Based on these plans. They also must be acquiring the Dobson home building (white roof building) in your location post and tearing that down as you can see the on and off Ramps to 35 which line up with that existing building

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    ONcue started in 1966 .... QT in 1958 .... so if there is a connection .. it would be very very old ..

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I grew up in Wichita, and we had QT (and Kwik Shop, owned by Dillon's). For 30 or so years after moving back to my family's OKC-area roots, I visited Wichita several times a year to see my mom, and often went to QT while I was there, and watched as they grew and modernized. It's perfectly nice. I'm saying all of this to say that I have no axe to grind against QT; glad we will now have the choice. But seriously, OnCue is better.

I just this weekend took a trip to the Kansas City area and visited QT on multiple occasions, including in Wichita, KC and several of times to the one near my hotel in Kearney, MO. I just don't see it. I mean, It's nice and all, but I think the QT hype is really overblown. I think OKC people came to desire QT mostly based upon market being dominated for years by trash C-stores, combined with the regular razzing we got from our Tulsa neighbors. I'll probably be sticking with OnCue when given a choice between the two.
    i get that some people get daily coffee/ donut whatever ... but i'm not sure i could tell you the last time i have been inside a gas station (when not on a road trip)

I'm guessing the little c-store just south won't be long for this world. Not sure how they have stayed open this long anyway

Keep in mind that the story states (and their corporate office has stated) that QT is currently expanding their 'travel stops' servicing interstate travel, not an aggressive expansion across the city.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    I love how all the other media outlets took Pete’s findings and announced this but all they did was call corporate and took the bait of “we are considering OKC but nothing has been decided”

Yet Pete has location and building plans. Good job on being first and most detailed on these things as always!
    And they only ran articles after we posted our story. No credit, contrary to common journalist ethics. Par for the course.

I rarely venture into modern convenience stores but I grew up in Ponca and we always had QuickTrips and I have a lot of fond memories of those stores. I always feel a bit of nostalgia when we go to Tulsa and I see them everywhere. I haven't been in a QT since Ponca City, and those have been closed for years (decades?).

Monster numbers on Facebook:

14. Default Re: QuikTrip

I love reading the comments. People complaining about gas stations.

And they only ran articles after we posted our story. No credit, contrary to common journalist ethics. Par for the course.
    KFOR.com mentions OKCTalk twice? What do you mean no credit?

Oh come on man, EAD. OKC doesn't have a similar obsession with sonic or Loves or any place like tulsa does with QT. I've lived in both places. It's odd.

Quote Originally Posted by coop2773 View Post
    I assume he's talking about a particular other news outlet that has a history of this, not KFOR.

Quote Originally Posted by coop2773 View Post
    They asked and received my permission.

The others did not.

I think OnCue has a leg up on QT for the actual store because of the awning and also the drive thru's. QT's have much better customer service though. Their employees always seem friendly and will stop what they're doing to ring a customer up. OnCue employees seem much grumpier, carry on with their conversations with each other even if they're checking out a customer, don't stop what they're doing even if there's a line at checkout, etc.

I would have been a lot more excite about this a decade ago. As Pete mentioned, the landscape has changed a lot in the years since we just had the crappy 7-11s. Back then, going into a place like an On-Cue or QT was the exception, not the rule. At this point, I've got 6 On-Cue's within just a few miles of my house, with at least one in every available direction. There's nothing specifically "extra" about QT verses On-Cue to me at this point, so it will come down to convenience and location.

That being said, if the competition keeps On-Cue, 7/11, and such on their game, then all the better for all of us.

It's an odd relationship between Tulsan's and their QuikTrip. I personally don't really get worked up over convenience stores, but I like them small, dingy and cheap. I think OnCue and QT are generally the same. QT's spicy chicken taquitos and buffalo chicken bites with cheese were an entire food group for me when I lived in Tulsa and when in town I always stop to get some. OnCue appears to have similar offerings, but none of them match those two for me. Otherwise, they are all the same.

In my opinion, some of the Tulsa QT "cult" comes from knowing they take care of theirs. Most people in Tulsa know someone who works for, or has worked for QT. In my experience, some of the nicest and most deserving people go to work for QT (some straight out of high school), bust their tails, and are rewarded for it. I've never heard someone complain about QT as an employer (while I'm sure they exists). So to a certain degree, QT represents a civic institution more than simply a convenience store. This is my personal opinion / experience, but I am often found to be overly empathetic and could be way off.

I'm surprised I haven't seen the other half of the Quick Trip and Brown family "gentlemen's agreement"; Seven Eleven stayed out of NE Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I'm surprised I haven't seen the other half of the Quick Trip and Brown family "gentlemen's agreement"; Seven Eleven stayed out of NE Oklahoma.
    And QT stayed out of OKC until the Browns sold their 7-Elevens, so the agreement (assuming it actually existed) was pretty much null and void after that happened. I doubt that Mr. Brown and Mr. Trip (whoever owned/owns them) said "and the agreement still stands even if one of us sells our chains" while shaking hands many decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    And QT stayed out of OKC until the Browns sold their 7-Elevens, so the agreement (assuming it actually existed) was pretty much null and void after that happened. I doubt that Mr. Brown and Mr. Trip (whoever owned/owns them) said "and the agreement still stands even if one of us sells our chains" while shaking hands many decades ago.
    i just threw it out there as a cute side note and the answer to the unasked trivia question: why does the largest C-store chain in the world not have any presence in NE Oklahoma?

They asked and received my permission.

The others did not.
    Do you know if QT has a timeline for opening the Hefner location?

Thread Information