Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: City + State

1. Default Re: City + State

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Can anyone vouch for the food at this place, or is it all about IG moments?
    We had cocktails and appetizers in the bar area here last Saturday and the food has definitely improved since this place first opened. The charcuterie board, in particular, was very good. Service was good and the crowd was pretty lively.

2. Default Re: City + State

Went tonight for the first time. The place is gorgeous. Pete has some great pictures, but it is even more stunning in person. My wife and I both enjoyed our entrees and the cheesesteak egg rolls were good. This may be my new favorite dining experience option in OKC.

Default Re: City + State

I reached out to them; their reply was: "We will get back to you with our future plans as soon possible."\

Not surprising. The food was notoriously mediocre and expensive, and that's being kind. I went twice and never considered going back. It's a really nice space in a great location, so I hope whatever they decide to do next is a success that brings life to the building like it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Not surprising. The food was notoriously mediocre and expensive, and that's being kind. I went twice and never considered going back. It's a really nice space in a great location, so I hope whatever they decide to do next is a success that brings life to the building like it deserves.
    Not surprised at all. I don't understand what was going on in the minds of some restaurant owners in OKC, new places keep popping up, but they don't offer anything different (or better) than what already exist there, it's like trying to put more salt into the ocean. Whenever a restaurant fails, the first thing the next tenant does will be spending $$$$ to overhaul what the previous tenant already spent $$$$ to overhaul what the previous tenant already spent $$$$ to overhaul .... If you don't have a good palate and a good accounting skill, I guess you should stay away from the restaurant business.

Tried to pop in here twice. Each time the host asked if we had reservations, which we did not. We just wanted to stop in for a drink or two. We had the option to sit at the bar, but there was no space available and we ended up going to Parlor, where we are regulars. Would love if you could just pop in and have a drink on the rooftop. But that isn't really offered here.

I think City+State was trying to do high-end dining and it just did not work. They need to do like Packards and just have rooftop open for casual hanging out and drinks. Then you can order food from below to take up top.

Parlor next door has found their stride post-pandemic.

Heard a rumor that it will be a “private event space” moving forward.

8. Default Re: City + State

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Heard a rumor that it will be a “private event space” moving forward.
    I am supposed to be at an event there in June, so I hope you are right! Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    OKC has not evolved enough to demand premium dining and entertainment options. This place was extremely nice but the overall population of clientele likely to frequent this level of ambiance is still small IMO
    Is this a troll account?

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    OKC has not evolved enough to demand premium dining and entertainment options. This place was extremely nice but the overall population of clientele likely to frequent this level of ambiance is still small IMO
    It looks premium but for dining experience it was the worst I had as far I can remember.
    I went one time with my wife. We had reservation, bland food came suspiciously fast but never the wine... We were out of the door in less than 45 minutes. Very weird feeling for an upscale dining experience.

This place had a 4.0 on Google which is shockingly bad for an upscale OKC restaurant, I'm almost certain the issue is that their offerings seemed to be more on par with Steak The Experience than the many higher-end dining options which are succeeding in OKC.

I will also say, importantly, that "ambiance" is not nearly as high valued in the OKC dining scene as it probably is in other places because the regular clientele (i.e. the locals) just don't care as much. That's neither a knock on our restaurants or our people, it's just a different value system. To that end, a place like City and State going all out on the design (and I personally thought it was as beautiful as any restaurant we've had) does not get a ton of ROI for that. It really is more about the food and service in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I will also say, importantly, that "ambiance" is not nearly as high valued in the OKC dining scene as it probably is in other places because the regular clientele (i.e. the locals) just don't care as much. That's neither a knock on our restaurants or our people, it's just a different value system. To that end, a place like City and State going all out on the design (and I personally thought it was as beautiful as any restaurant we've had) does not get a ton of ROI for that. It really is more about the food and service in OKC.
    I strongly disagree with this assessment.

I think OKC is like everywhere else in that ambiance is important, but if you can't get the food and service to match your price point, there are just too many other good options.

There are tons of beautiful restaurants in town that also have very good food and thus experience prolonged success. In fact, with the massive increases in competitiveness, I'd say that even good food isn't enough for some places when they can't get the ambiance right.

The OKC restaurant and bar scene has simply evolved to the point that you better be hitting on all cylinders if you want to keep bringing people back.

Just to offer context here: The operation of C+S was a mess from the start. It is a wonder they lasted as long as they did. If you knew the backstory, this all would make much more sense.

15. Default Re: City + State

I have been to a few places where the ambiance is really good and they use it heavily in their marketing. However, I was underwhelmed by their food. The service was excellent, the atmosphere was great, and the marketing was great. I just can't go to these places because the food is just not that good. I think one of these places I will go for a cocktail, but only because I like the location and the ambiance of their patio.

The bar has been raised significantly in OKC.

Just so many very good places that most people will go to a new, sexy spot once. But it's much more than someone not having a bad experience... After you've seen it, why would you go back with literally hundreds of other good options?

Too few places have an answer to that question. It's not like people think of City + State and think it sucks, it's just they don't have a reason to think about it all.

17. Default Re: City + State

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Just so many very good places that most people will go to a new, sexy spot once. But it's much more than someone not having a bad experience... After you've seen it, why would you go back with literally hundreds of other good options?

Too few places have an answer to that question. It's not like people think of City + State and think it sucks, it's just they don't have a reason to think about it all.
    It is a little odd for me considering how many times I have taken advantage of the Parlor. I have yet to even go to City + State. It just didn't jump out at me and didn't feel different from what we already have.

I strongly disagree with this assessment.

I think OKC is like everywhere else in that ambiance is important, but if you can't get the food and service to match your price point, there are just too many other good options.

There are tons of beautiful restaurants in town that also have very good food and thus experience prolonged success. In fact, with the massive increases in competitiveness, I'd say that even good food isn't enough for some places when they can't get the ambiance right.

The OKC restaurant and bar scene has simply evolved to the point that you better be hitting on all cylinders if you want to keep bringing people back.
    This. I love the ambiance/atmosphere of the Jones, but the last few times I have eaten there the food has been mediocre at best.

. It's not like people think of City + State and think it sucks, it's just they don't have a reason to think about it all.
    This! I try all the time to think of places new to try and can remember half of them Just this week...was looking for a new place for our anniversary tonight. City+State never entered my mind. (We are going to LaBrasa)

We were talking this morning about how marketing has changed. I am amazed the number of places that don't have websites. We looked at a place today and it took me to instagram which I don't have. I have had friends say that websites aren't important anymore and just need to be on FB or IG,

As Pete said....with so may good places and the bar being high....have to have an active marketing program on all the platforms that keeps your name out there on a constant basis. Out of sight is out of mind.

20. Default Re: City + State

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    This! I try all the time to think of places new to try and can remember half of them Just this week...was looking for a new place for our anniversary tonight. City+State never entered my mind. (We are going to LaBrasa)

We were talking this morning about how marketing has changed. I am amazed the number of places that don't have websites. We looked at a place today and it took me to instagram which I don't have. I have had friends say that websites aren't important anymore and just need to be on FB or IG,

As Pete said....with so may good places and the bar being high....have to have an active marketing program on all the platforms that keeps your name out there on a constant basis. Out of sight is out of mind.
    I would say websites are not really needed for most, but they do need some sort of social media and they need to have a strong Google listing and listings on other search engines like Bing.

Did they have an Instagram wall?

Sorry, just a little cross-thread reference.

I can tell you one thing: If I get poor service at a restaurant I will almost never go back.

I'm not talking about a brand new place or a small mom & pop... I'm talking about a full-scale restaurant where you can tell it is just not operated properly.

At least part of this comes from living in L.A. for 25 years where restaurant competition is beyond fierce and decent places have way more good applicants than they can hire.

When I first moved back I was appalled on a regular basis. So much so that I would go to Hal Smith Restaurants just because I knew the service would be professional. Just yesterday I was at a restaurant where employees were openly bickering and complaining right in front of me.

If I'm going to be shelling out my hard-earned money, a business better be able to treat me like they value my patronage. I realize there is a staffing shortage and all that, but there are plenty of places in town that still do a great job and I have zero patience for restaurants like the one I mentioned. It's not just Hal Smith places that tend to be professional but most of the good local restaurant groups like Provision Concepts, Humankind, and Good Egg.

Also, I am not 'cheif', 'boss', 'bud'... I don't need to be called 'sir' but if you are uncomfortable treating someone like a valued customer then you should find other work.

To echo with what some have said. Ambiance is only part of the puzzle. If a restaurant is relying solely on ambiance they’re doomed. Clientele and dining options in this city have progressed dramatically in the last several years. Good food and good service will always win out over ambiance.

24. Default Re: City + State

When I first moved back I was appalled on a regular basis. So much so that I would go to Hal Smith Restaurants just because I knew the service would be professional. Just yesterday I was at a restaurant where employees were openly bickering and complaining right in front of me.
    I thought that was part of the show at Waffle House?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I thought that was part of the show at Waffle House?
    Unfortunately, this was a sit-down restaurant on the nicer scale of things.

It was beyond uncomfortable and I simply will never go back. Ever.

Thread Information