Widgets Magazine

Thread: Construction on I-44 to 240

Default Construction on I-44 to 240

They've been doing construction on I-44 to near 240 for months, maybe a year now. They're bringing in what looks like tanker or pump trucks and doing something to the interstate. Can someone in the know explain to me what they're doing? It's taking forever to finish.

Default Re: Construction on I-44 to 240

This may be what you are looking for (bridge repair): https://oklahoma.gov/odot/citizen/ma...klahoma-city.h

3. Default Re: Construction on I-44 to 240

This started near the first of COVID. First they went through and did some major bridge repair on all of the overpasses that are interstate road. That includes all of the junction ramps like airport rd too. Chisel out the concrete that's in bad shape, re-pour it, fix the barriers, re-tar, etc. That took forever, and they're still working on the last bridge right at I-40.

What they're doing in the southern section at 240 is the last phase in the shave process. They go through and again, remove sections that are really bad off, and re-pour them. Then they cut out these bracket connector shapes and pour a mix to sort of "latch" each section together. That's the 2 raised pieces you see between each section. THe last phase is they go through and literally shave off the top few millimeters or whatever to smooth it all level (and then repaint).

I believe Terex or whatever the company is named now, off I-40, pioneered this here in OK in the 90s as a way to revamp concrete highways without having to rip-replace. They've been doing this in the OKC area since the late 90's. I think I-35 near Frontier City was the first section I remember having it done way back in 99-00.

Default Re: Construction on I-44 to 240

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    This started near the first of COVID. First they went through and did some major bridge repair on all of the overpasses that are interstate road. That includes all of the junction ramps like airport rd too. Chisel out the concrete that's in bad shape, re-pour it, fix the barriers, re-tar, etc. That took forever, and they're still working on the last bridge right at I-40.

What they're doing in the southern section at 240 is the last phase in the shave process. They go through and again, remove sections that are really bad off, and re-pour them. Then they cut out these bracket connector shapes and pour a mix to sort of "latch" each section together. That's the 2 raised pieces you see between each section. THe last phase is they go through and literally shave off the top few millimeters or whatever to smooth it all level (and then repaint).

I believe Terex or whatever the company is named now, off I-40, pioneered this here in OK in the 90s as a way to revamp concrete highways without having to rip-replace. They've been doing this in the OKC area since the late 90's. I think I-35 near Frontier City was the first section I remember having it done way back in 99-00.
    Thanks for the explanation! I live south of 240, so I've been dealing with it since they started on the bridges. I've never seen this type of construction

Thread Information