Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 44 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 News and Information

Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Is this legit? I haven’t heard of this news site yet so I don’t how credible it is:

https://www.firstpost.com/health/fra...-10256521.html
    Agree with the previous poster. This variant is quite a bit older than omicron. Something to monitor but not worry about.

A whopping 6,280 new confirmed COVID cases today. Is that a record for a single-day report (rather than reflecting multi-day totals)? Omicron is full swing now here in Oklahoma...

6,280 new cases reported today, the biggest single-day total by far.

Hospitalizations are 1,066 (+31); that's +199 since last Friday.

ICU is 284 (+9); +49 since Friday.

4. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

So Omicron and the holidays are not going to be kind to the case numbers. Hopefully hospitalizations and deaths will not go up by the Alpha or Delta ratios.

Press release:

OSDH team working clock to secure additional COVID-19 treatment resources amid recent surge

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to protecting the health and safety of all Oklahomans and continues to advocate for them by accessing all available resources throughout this pandemic and most recent surge.

We know that monoclonal antibodies and antiviral oral treatments are currently in limited supply across the state and nation. The OSDH team has been working diligently with federal partners to secure more of these treatments for those who are at high-risk for severe COVID-19. Late yesterday, Oklahoma was approved to receive additional 1,000 doses each of Regen-Cov and BAM/ETE monoclonal treatments. OSDH will continue requesting COVID related treatments until we have a sufficient supply.

With the surge in cases, we know testing is a vital tool. In response, OSDH has increased access for testing, including expanded hours, some weekend hours and additional clinics across the state, as well as utilizing mobile units.

We also want to thank our partners who have stepped up expanding services to meet the needs of Oklahomans. Those seeking a test are encouraged to first use one of these testing sites or others available through oklahoma.gov/covid19/testing-sites, rather than visiting the emergency room.

“We can’t put this pandemic in our rearview mirror yet,” said Keith Reed, interim commissioner of health. “Our team at OSDH is committed to making sure the right tools are in place through the state to fight the virus, and that we give Oklahomans the best shot at getting treatments they deserve if they get COVID-19.”

The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) protects and improves public health through its system of local health services and strategies focused on preventing disease. OSDH provides technical support and guidance to 68 county health departments in Oklahoma, as well as guidance and consultation to the two independent city-county health departments in Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Learn more at Oklahoma.gov/health.

Another record high for new daily cases today, this time 6,438.

For the week ending Friday, that's 28,655 new cases, by far the most cases in a week since the pandemic started. Last several weeks: 14,728; 8,304; 5,852; 9,634; 6,199; 5,621; 5,869.

Hospitalizations are 1,081. That's +15 for the day and +214 for the week.

ICU is 277. That's -7 for the day and +42 for the week.

I just checked world meter and the reported covid number for today is 9557 new cases. By far more then any other day so far but in line with what other states are seeing. This unvaccinated for medical reasons lady is staying put at home. Call it hard lockdown. I dont want to be part of the problem. One thing that really bothers me right now is churches are still having pot lucks, pancake breakfasts, after services coffee hour and other non distanced events. One church on the far west side of okc has had to cancel services this weekend due to worship staff sick with covid. I am afraid that more churches with no mask or distancing requirements are going to be super spreader events. I am an avid church attender and one who likes to be very involved. I am just trying to say that it is time when we gather in groups we need to be masked up. TTime for stores to require masks on shoppers and encourage curbside pick or home delivery options. I dont want us to be like France with almost 1 in 30 people having active covid right now.

I have started selling my Thunder tickets instead of going to the games. As much as I hate to miss home games, I am not willing to chance getting or spreading this highly contagious disease.

9. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Here's the best explanation I've seen so far describing what the vaccine does.

https://twitter.com/BlackKnight10k/s...81811120971776

They help generate an immune response equal to or better than what's acquired by getting the virus but without the cardiovascular and neurological damage that comes with getting the virus.

New cases for the 3-day period are 27,058. That's an off-the-charts crazy number. We've never had more than 10K since the pandemic began.

Hospitalizations are 1,150 (+69).

ICU is 294 (+17)

The 7-day average is now 6,241.

Until the last week, the previous high was last August at 2,806.

12. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

OU and OSU are requiring masks in classrooms again for the first two weeks of the semester. https://www.kgou.org/education/2022-...masks-in-class

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    New cases for the 3-day period are 27,058. That's an off-the-charts crazy number. We've never had more than 10K since the pandemic began.

ICU is 294 (+17)
    Safe to say that omicron is in full swing now. Sure hope ICU levels stay relatively flat throughout the next few weeks.

14. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Safe to say that omicron is in full swing now. Sure hope ICU levels stay relatively flat throughout the next few weeks.
    If nationwide Omicron is 90 something percent of all new cases then I'm sure it's safe to think Oklahoma isn't any different. And with Omicron the huge spike was inevitable. We can just hope that 1) the spike is short lived. And 2) that vaccinated people and Omicron maybe not being as severe keep the hospitalization numbers from going insane.

Both hospitalization and ICU numbers are trending strongly up.

Both are lagging indicators, meaning it takes a week or two after a surge in cases for a percentage of those people to start needing acute care.

I would expect the hospitalization and ICU numbers to rise sharply in the next few weeks. Very troubling, given that hospitals are already saying they are overwhelmed.

16. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

Both hospitalization and ICU numbers are trending strongly up.

Both are lagging indicators, meaning it takes a week or two after a surge in cases for a percentage of those people to start needing acute care.

I would expect the hospitalization and ICU numbers to rise sharply in the next few weeks. Very troubling, given that hospitals are already saying they are overwhelmed.
    Even if Omicron is more mild with the sheer amount of new cases there will be a lot more hospitalizations. Just infecting everyone at a high rate right now. I've avoided it for two years but I doubt I avoid it this time around.

HangryHippo Guest

Highly unlikely. Even with the possibility of milder disease, the sheer volume of cases coupled with majority of Oklahomans’ comorbidities mean things will get rough(er).

ICU is 294 (+17)
    A family member and I tested positive last week. With some caveats, my symptoms have been fairly mild. BUT, they have been varied and even strange. It's really a trip when you think about the fact you have this alien presence inside of you trying to find your body's weaknesses and exploit them. Fortunately, I had trained my body to fight this rapidly growing invading army through two vaccinations and a booster shot.

Don't let yourself think that because you've heard omicron is mild you don't need to worry about it. Without going into great detail, I had a couple of fearful moments. I can't imagine what it would be like to face this without the defense of the vaccine.

If you aren't already, you should consider hunkering down for the next two weeks. Now would be an appropriate time for employers to tell people to work from home where possible.

I want to stress that the vaccines and boosters may keep you out of the hospital, but they will not likely prevent you from getting infected. And if you have the choice, you don't want to be infected. There is always the chance that your vaccinations won't be enough to keep you out of the hospital if you're overweight, heart condition, diabetes, etc.

If the data models are correct, this will rise quickly and then fall quickly, so staying out of the public right now would provide a strong measure of safety. On the contrary, I can't imagine avoiding this if you encounter any other people right now.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    OU and OSU are requiring masks in classrooms again for the first two weeks of the semester. https://www.kgou.org/education/2022-...masks-in-class
    Masking is not enough. They should cancel in-person classes. Omicron is way more contagious than any other variant.

With the current number of active cases and OU's Dale Bratzler's estimate (not sure how certain) that we are only capturing 1/3 of true infections, roughly 1 out of every 22 Oklahomans currently has Covid.

It's very hard to get a fast test result right now, so I'm sure lots of people are just taking it easy and trying not to expose others.

And of course, lots of people are using home tests and those results are not reported in the system.

Personally, I know a ton of people that have had it in just the last couple of weeks.

BTW, 93% of all those currently hospitalized are unvaccinated.

Unbelievable that so many people still refuse to take a completely free and readily available vaccine. If not for this, the hospitalization rates would still be very low.

I had to take my husband to the emergency room last night for a non-life threatening knee injury. I know I am preaching to the choir here, but for those who are not vaccinated, please take the skyrocketing hospitalization rate into consideration. It took us from 7:30pm until 12:30am to even get seen by a doctor. The doctors and nurses we talked to last night are so over the non-vaccinated overwhelming our medical system.

24. Default Re: Covid-19 News and Information

BTW, 93% of all those currently hospitalized are unvaccinated.

Unbelievable that so many people still refuse to take a completely free and readily available vaccine. If not for this, the hospitalization rates would still be very low.
    A more true statement has never been made. Very, very sad.

Another word comes to mind, and it is not "sad."

Thread Information