Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memorial and Penn intersection

Default Memorial and Penn intersection

ODOT plans to add a Texas Turnaround from WB to EB Memorial at the intersection of Penn.

Default Re: Memorial and Penn intersection

They need a few more on Memorial. Especially that 2 lane cross over the Kilpatrick just east of the heart hospital.

I’m surprised it took this long. Penn needs to be at least six lanes but if they’d simply synchronize the lights I feel like the traffic would flow much better than it currently does.

HangryHippo Guest

Better timing of the lights and a few less curb cuts north and south of the intersection would make it feel like a miracle had been performed, which ironically, removing curb cuts in OKC would qualify.

I am curious if the new Texas turnaround will have matching black hand rails that are just like the ones on the opposing turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I am curious if the new Texas turnaround will have matching black hand rails that are just like the ones on the opposing turnaround.
    If so, they don’t be matching until some cars wreck into them and damage them.

The exit needs to be a half mile earlier too so it gives drivers a chance to change lanes before the line at the light backs up to the point the exit lane from the turnpike meets Memorial Road.

On freeways with busy frontage roads, such as this; the exit for a road should be immediately after the interchange preceding it. I have seen this on some Texas highways and it makes a ton of sense. It gives you nearly a mile to get in the proper lane before the light, and it gives you a mile to get into the left lane to get onto the on-ramp.

So the Penn exit would be immediately after crossing May (if coming from the west). The on ramp from Penn would be immediately before Western etc.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    On freeways with busy frontage roads, such as this; the exit for a road should be immediately after the interchange preceding it. I have seen this on some Texas highways and it makes a ton of sense. It gives you nearly a mile to get in the proper lane before the light, and it gives you a mile to get into the left lane to get onto the on-ramp.

So the Penn exit would be immediately after crossing May (if coming from the west). The on ramp from Penn would be immediately before Western etc.
    They really need to do this from western to rockwell
    Specifically western penn and May.

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownMan View Post
    If so, they don’t be matching until some cars wreck into them and damage them.
    Ha. Yep. That handrail got hit within a few months of being installed. Which proved my point as to why we needed them in the first place: pedestrian safety. It's interesting that ODOT is doing this turnaround. It took a lot of pushing to get OTA to even approve of OKC installing the other half back when we did it in 2006/2007.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Ha. Yep. That handrail got hit within a few months of being installed. Which proved my point as to why we needed them in the first place: pedestrian safety. It's interesting that ODOT is doing this turnaround. It took a lot of pushing to get OTA to even approve of OKC installing the other half back when we did it in 2006/2007.
    ODOT contacted me and said they weren't involved.

Don't know if it's the city of the turnpike authority.

Does an ODOT oversee all construction in regarding roads in the state even if they don’t plan or fund it?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Does an ODOT oversee all construction in regarding roads in the state even if they don’t plan or fund it?
    When Federal funding is funneled though them, ODOT will have their hands in it.

They need to bring the entrance to that lane way back further than I've seen in the drawings. And actually, something that I think would help the traffic flow even better is to extend it all the way back to the JKT offramp to Penn. This would give the exit ramp its own lane all the way up to the turnaround thus increasing merging space for vehicles to help alleviate the awful rush hour and weekend stand-stills. Traffic is often backed up on the turnpike with people trying to merge, but given that whole lane maybe it will help.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    When Federal funding is funneled though them, ODOT will have their hands in it.
    Okay that’s right I had heard that before.

Yes. If it touches a state facility, even if 100% local funding, ODOT has to approve of the design. When we widened 122nd at Lake Hefner Parkway for the John Marshall High School, we had to send ODOT the plans because we added width on the SB entrance ramp to Lake Hefner Parkway...

Contract has been awarded and I’d suspect construction will begin soon if it hasn’t already.

Oh man, as if that intersection wasn't enough of a chokepoint already...hopefully the lane closures are minimal

20. Default Re: Memorial and Penn intersection

Now, if they could just move the Penn exit ramp wayyyy back towards May.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Now, if they could just move the Penn exit ramp wayyyy back towards May.
    The new OTA plan includes x type ramp setups.

Amazing!

Will they rework existing?

HangryHippo Guest

If they’re what I’m thinking of, Phoenix has a number of these and they are great!

I just drove through that intersection and absolutely nothing is happening as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Amazing!

Will they rework existing?
    It’s in the new 15 year year plan so not a lot of details have been released yet. Last news report I saw on it said we should get some details this year on when projects will begin. They will have to rework the existing.

Thread Information