Widgets Magazine

Thread: Trompudo's Tacos

Default Trompudo's Tacos

Trompudo's just moved from their temporary location in Calvillito #3 into a brick and mortar at 6015 S May Ave. If you all haven't been, they have the best al pastor tacos I've ever had (including Mexico City). It's run by Guadalupe Garcia, who is the son of "Chileno" Garcia of Chileno's fame. I have no ties to them, but wanted to put this out there for those who haven't been yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TT.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	17063

https://www.instagram.com/trompudos_tacos/

2. Default Re: Trompudo's Tacos

It's I before E except after CH.... Chelino's.

Default Re: Trompudo's Tacos

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    Trompudo's just moved from their temporary location in Calvillito #3 into a brick and mortar at 6015 S May Ave. If you all haven't been, they have the best al pastor tacos I've ever had (including Mexico City). It's run by Guadalupe Garcia, who is the son of "Chileno" Garcia of Chileno's fame. I have no ties to them, but wanted to put this out there for those who haven't been yet.

Name:	TT.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	17063

https://www.instagram.com/trompudos_tacos/
    I guess the Mexican restaurant that was in that building didn't make it! I tried it once and it was mediocre.

I recently was taken to a little place in Wichita with the best Al Pastor I've ever had. It was served on a spit, like the photo here. I plan to check out Trompudo's in the very near future and will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    I guess the Mexican restaurant that was in that building didn't make it! I tried it once and it was mediocre.

I recently was taken to a little place in Wichita with the best Al Pastor I've ever had. It was served on a spit, like the photo here. I plan to check out Trompudo's in the very near future and will report back.
    There are 2 other restaurants in Cavillito #3 I believe, but it’s all behind the same counter. It was a little confusing the first time we went. I highly recommend the al pastor with cheese and the spicy pineapple salsa. He went to Mexico City to source the spits also.

I will check this out in the near future, looks like it took the place of the old Senor Barrigons which was very good the couple times I had it but didn't survive the pandemic. Glad there is something else in this spot.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    I will check this out in the near future, looks like it took the place of the old Senor Barrigons which was very good the couple times I had it but didn't survive the pandemic. Glad there is something else in this spot.
    Totally agree with all of this...

I went by this place for lunch today.

Right now, they are drive-thru only. No dine-in.

The Al Pastor might be good, but there wasn't enough of it to really form a good opinion. First, they use yellow corn tortillas, which to me, have a stronger, more overpowering flavor than the white tortillas most taco places use. Plus, there was more chopped pineapple than meat on the tacos, so the flavor profile was basically pineapple with hints of yellow corn tortilla and cilantro. The meat got completely lost in the flavor profile. Plus, at $2.40 per taco, they are expensive for what you get.

I always try the rice at any Mexican restaurant and I just didn't like theirs. It had a strange, almost formaldehyde-like aftertaste.

The Dr. Pepper was excellent. Whoever set up their fountain did a great job.

I THINK the Al Pastor was good and will go back and try it again, but will ask for the pineapple to be on the side. I will also try some of their other meats. My understanding is that each meat has it's own particular salsa, which is interesting. The salsa that came with the Al Pastor was good, but I went light because I didn't know how spicy it would be.

How was the service in regards to how long did it take to pace and receive your order?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    How was the service in regards to how long did it take to pace and receive your order?
    When I pulled up to place my order, there was a truck at the drive-thru window and a car just in front of me. The lady came on and took my order quickly, but the truck was at the window for several more minutes after I ordered. The car in front of me got their food quickly and I got mine quickly, once I was at the window. Other than the truck waiting, which happens anywhere, the timeframes of using the drive-thru were typical of most drive-thru's.

I went by this place for lunch today.

Right now, they are drive-thru only. No dine-in.

The Al Pastor might be good, but there wasn't enough of it to really form a good opinion. First, they use yellow corn tortillas, which to me, have a stronger, more overpowering flavor than the white tortillas most taco places use. Plus, there was more chopped pineapple than meat on the tacos, so the flavor profile was basically pineapple with hints of yellow corn tortilla and cilantro. The meat got completely lost in the flavor profile. Plus, at $2.40 per taco, they are expensive for what you get.

I always try the rice at any Mexican restaurant and I just didn't like theirs. It had a strange, almost formaldehyde-like aftertaste.

The Dr. Pepper was excellent. Whoever set up their fountain did a great job.

I THINK the Al Pastor was good and will go back and try it again, but will ask for the pineapple to be on the side. I will also try some of their other meats. My understanding is that each meat has it's own particular salsa, which is interesting. The salsa that came with the Al Pastor was good, but I went light because I didn't know how spicy it would be.
    Do they have other meats? From what little I could see (hint - make your FB page public if you're a restaurant serving *the public*, don't make people log in, same thing with Instagram - some people aren't on either platform), they only have Al Pastor...

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Do they have other meats? From what little I could see (hint - make your FB page public if you're a restaurant serving *the public*, don't make people log in, same thing with Instagram - some people aren't on either platform), they only have Al Pastor...

Name:	240842030_483254946403680_857919816029449302_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	17075

My tacos had more pineapple than this:

Name:	186476208_410005483728627_5368797146173779912_n.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	17076

Name:	240842030_483254946403680_857919816029449302_n.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	17075

My tacos had more pineapple than this:

Name:	186476208_410005483728627_5368797146173779912_n.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	17076
    Thanks, definitely will make it by and get pineapple on the side (it's my least favorite fruit), glad you mentioned that.

i am intrigued... going to have to try this place soon. but even that pic has way more pineapple than i'd prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i am intrigued... going to have to try this place soon. but even that pic has way more pineapple than i'd prefer.
    My favorite Al Pastor in OKC is Tacos San Pedro. In this photo I took, you can see a couple of chunks of pineapple, which for me, is about right.

Name:	Pastor.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	17077

Wanted to shout this place out, ate here on Tuesday Evening and it was excellent. Really enjoyed the variety in their salsas. I tend to have decision paralysis when choosing Mexican restaurants in South OKC because there are just so many options, but a friend recommended this one and I do feel that it stands out relative to most other places I've tried in the area.

Thread Information