Widgets Magazine

Thread: 94.7 the Brew is now 94.7 the ref

Default 94.7 the Brew is now 94.7 the ref

Couldn't find the post where we keep up with format changes.
    94.7 has switched to sports talk over night and will be adding Mike Steely in the noon to 2 slot.

Default Re: 94.7 the Brew is now 94.7 the ref

I noticed this on my way to work as well. Didn't know this was happening although I'm not in the loop when it comes to radio. I kind of thought we struggled to have 2 sports talk, seemed like they let a bunch of people when the pandemic stopped. I guess there is just a larger demand now, that or is one of the other stations changing?

Sec! Sec! Sec!

From Radio Insight Magazine

iHeartMedia Launches 94.7 The Ref Oklahoma City

iHeartMedia has partnered with Metro Radio Group’s “Sports Talk 1400” KREF/99.3 K257DA Norman OK and has launched “94.7 The Ref” KREF-FM Oklahoma City replacing Classic Rock “94.7 The Brew” KBRU.
    “The Ref” becomes the fourth full-powered FM Sports talker in the Oklahoma City market joining Cumulus Media’s “98.1 The Sports Animal” WWLS-FM The Village, Tyler Media’s “107.7 The Franchise” KRXO-FM and Perry Broadcasting’s rimshot “CBS Sports Radio 105.3” KINB Kingfisher. iHeart also runs Fox Sports Radio 24/7 on “1340 The Game” KGHM.
    Midday host James Hale will not make the move with the station. Hale tweeted on Tuesday that last Friday was his last day as host of “Total Sports” from 12-2pm. The station’s lineup will continue to include “T-Row In The Morning” hosted by Toby Rowland and TJ Perry from 6-9am, “The Plank Show” with Chris Plank and Josh Helmer from 9am-12pm, and “The Rush” with Teddy Lehman and Tyler McComas from 2-6pm. Joining the station to host 12-2pm are former WWLS-FM and KRXO-FM host Mike Steely and recent OU graduate Parker Thune.

HeartMedia Oklahoma City announced today the debut of 94.7 FM The Ref Oklahoma Sports Talk, effective August 18.
    In a unique broadcast agreement, 94.7 FM The Ref will broadcast all-things sports and feature KREF 1400 AM in Norman, Oklahoma, as part of the station’s weekday on-air lineup from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. In addition, from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m., the station will broadcast industry-leading programming from FOX Sports Radio’s national lineup, featuring top sports commentators and analysts Chris Broussard, Rob Parker, Jason Smith, Mike Harmon and Ben Maller.
    “We are thrilled to enter the sports talk arena with such an outstanding lineup,” said Jon Phillips, Area President for iHeartMedia Oklahoma. “This talent base is very aligned with Oklahoma University sports and we feel this will give us a unique advantage in creating content that is focused on the biggest sports entity in the state.”
    “Hats off to SportsTalk Media in Norman for collecting and producing such compelling radio. We feel this partnership will greatly benefit both parties and ensure that Sooner fans can get reliable, accurate and timely coverage.” added Jon Phillips.
    “Our team of talented on-air SportsTalk professionals welcomes the opportunity to bring ‘The Home of Sooner Fans’ to a large FM signal in addition to our 1400 AM signal and streaming platforms,” said Casey Vinyard, Owner at SportsTalk Media. “On behalf of the entire SportsTalk Media team, I’d like to thank Jon Phillips and iHeartMedia Oklahoma City for partnering with us at KREF.”
    Full Weekday Programming Lineup:
    Toby Rowland and TJ Perry 6 – 9 a.m.
    Chris Plank and Josh Helmer 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
    Mike Steely and Parker Thune 12 – 2 p.m.
    Teddy Lehman and Tyler McComas
    2 – 6 p.m.
    The Odd Couple with Chris Broussard & Rob Parker
    6 – 9 p.m.
    The Jason Smith Show with Mike Harmon
    9 p.m. – 1 a.m.
    The Ben Maller Show 1– 5 a.m.
    Outkick The Coverage 5-6 a.m.

This kinda took me by surprise, The Brew had a following even though it had not so great ratings, but it's great to see Mike Steely back.

Yeah lot of irritated people on FB. I will say I had kind of thought the Brew was the only real competitor to the KATT, so disappointing to see options disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Yeah lot of irritated people on FB. I will say I had kind of thought the Brew was the only real competitor to the KATT, so disappointing to see options disappear.
    And here I am still pining for a return of 94.7 The Buzz... I was honestly never a fan of the Brew, but I can absolutely sympathize with those that were.

Quote Originally Posted by baralheia View Post
    And here I am still pining for a return of 94.7 The Buzz... I was honestly never a fan of the Brew, but I can absolutely sympathize with those that were.
    I agree I definitely listened less after it changed to the Brew, but still at least it was playing similar music.

still hoping 105.3 the martini come back.

It was good to listen to Steely for a segment or 2 today.

What is this everyone keeps talking about. FM radio? Amazon music, I heart radio, Sirius XM. Not sure I have listened to a "radio station" in years.

11. Default Re: 94.7 the Brew is now 94.7 the ref

I feel so sorry for my B.I.L./best friend. He can hardly listen to the two sports talk stations because he HATES the Sooners so much. And now The Ref is "The Home For Sooner Fans".
    Actually not. My wife has never been able to understand how him and I can be such buds but fight like cats during football season.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    What is this everyone keeps talking about. FM radio? Amazon music, I heart radio, Sirius XM. Not sure I have listened to a "radio station" in years.
    Because some people do and it’s still nice to listen to the radio every now and then. There’s a vibe the radio has that streaming playlists can’t replicate nor can podcasts.

13. Default Re: 94.7 the Brew is now 94.7 the ref

I listened a bit on the way to work. I like that they talk sports instead of attempting comedy. But I now remember how much I hate male enhancement and betting odds services commercials.

Wouldn't be surprised with iHeart's backing if they didn't try to become the official flagship of OU Sports the next time the contract is up.

At the very least, they could get into a bidding war with what Tyler Media/107.7 The Franchise is paying.

Thread Information