Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baptist Hospital

Default Re: Baptist Hospital

2. Default Re: Baptist Hospital

I came up 244 from the South just now. That's some crane. 5, maybe 6 stories taller than the hospital wing nearest it.

I really wish there was a camera that we could watch throughout the process.

I wish they could build a vertical parking garage so that lot can be dug up and developed with something either commercial, or even a five to seven-story mixed-used establishment.

5. Default Re: Baptist Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Shuffinator View Post
    OMG yes!!!!! It would be so cool to have internet cameras on both the crane operators cabs. I'd spend way too much time watching.

6. Default Re: Baptist Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    I wish they could build a vertical parking garage so that lot can be dug up and developed with something either commercial, or even a five to seven-story mixed-used establishment.
    It's not a lot. It's already part of the hospital that was designed to be expanded up in the future. Which is now.

Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    I suspect they will ultimately build a parking structure on that lot, with the ability to expand the hospital on top of it, just like they are doing now with this addition.

8. Default Re: Baptist Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I suspect they will ultimately build a parking structure on that lot, with the ability to expand the hospital on top of it, just like they are doing now with this addition.
    I see. You caught that HFAA Alum was talking about the big lot East of Grand. I didn't since that hadn't been discussed. But is a big part of the picture.

^

East of Independence.

You can see construction for the BRT stop in the lower left:

12. Default Re: Baptist Hospital

Baptist has another parking garage to build future expansion.

Now they just need to build a new Garage in the surface lot.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Shuffinator View Post
    Enjoy

https://integrisok.com/resources/art...nstruction-cam

Every large hospital system in our metro has a *major* expansion going on simultaneously, except Saint Anthony (unless I’m missing it; correct me if I’m wrong). This is huge for OKC, in multiple ways. Typically when you see stagnant health systems, it’s a symptom of a stagnant community. In OKC, by contrast, each system sees a need to expand and update their offerings/capabilities.

Yep, population increase cause and effect.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Every large hospital system in our metro has a *major* expansion going on simultaneously, except Saint Anthony (unless I’m missing it; correct me if I’m wrong). This is huge for OKC, in multiple ways. Typically when you see stagnant health systems, it’s a symptom of a stagnant community. In OKC, by contrast, each system sees a need to expand and update their offerings/capabilities.
    Didn't downtown Saint Anthony's get a new emergency room wing a few years ago? Not as significant in size as most of the other expansions, but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Integris, SSM Healthcare (Saint Anthony and related), Mercy Health System, and OU Health are in the top 10 of private employers in the OKC area. All are significantly larger than any oil and gas company. Integris alone employs over 11,000 in the area and is by far the largest private local employer.

In addition to the near-constant expansion of their main campuses, they all seem to be building smaller, satellite hospitals around the metro as well as walk-in facilities.

Combined, they represent a massive economic engine in OKC -- much like Tinker and the state government. And these sectors are pretty much recession-proof helping the local economy stay very stable.

19. Default Re: Baptist Hospital

Saints also purchased MWC Hospital, so their "satellite" footprint grew quite a bit there. And from what I've heard, it's night and day from what it was before. Saints is doing an excellent job of turning that place back around to its former glory.

Norman's an interesting thing though. They're really just expanding to doze the old place. So is that really an expansion?

Having said all of that, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Some of these expansion are not actual expansions, but are targets to remove old facilities. OU, for example, the old Presby tower's rooms are awful. HVAC doesn't work right, they're so small that it's actually difficult for patients with lots of IV pole equipment to safely get around in. The new rooms are wonderful, and the views are AMAZING. But that new tower isn't big enough to replace the old tower. You're looking at another couple hundred million dollars if they renovate to combine rooms in that tower, or raze it altogether.

Integris basically closed Deaconness, which is a shame. It's not operating in the same role it once was as a true hospital. It's more like a surgical facility now. So Baptist had to absorb that load...which is part of the reason for that expansion. Baptist actually has a lot of room still to build more patient care area, they just have to kick out the physician's offices and tear those buildings down. Again, hundreds of millions.

It's for-profit healthcare folks. At this point, they have to keep up with each other for people to want to use their facility (since most insurances participate in all of them). Slapping some paint on or swapping the furniture isn't cutting it any more. We're past that time given the age of most of our facilities. So expect to see more of this in the next 10-15 years.

And for all that expansion, it can still be difficult to find an available bed at times.

Before the pandemic, I had to go to the Baptist emergency room and I waited almost a full day before they could free up a regular room.

21. Default Re: Baptist Hospital

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    And for all that expansion, it can still be difficult to find an available bed at times.

Before the pandemic, I had to go to the Baptist emergency room and I waited almost a full day before they could free up a regular room.
    Agreed, it's quite frustrating. And staffing is a challenge as well. Good ole for profit healthcare always looking for where to maximize their buck (at the cost of patient care).

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It's for-profit healthcare folks.
    It’s unfortunate but you’re right. With so many hospitals either getting scooped up or partnering with private equity and publicly traded companies, it’ll continue to get worse.

Speaking of need for expansion/modernization, OU Edmond is in a real need of more then a face lift. I had knee surgery there back in March. I have over the years spent a bit of time around the hospital and doctor's building. It really really needs so tlc. I remember back when the hospital was owned by the city of Edmond and the 4 th floor was just unfinished open space. I wish they would buy the old senior housing that turned into a rat trap hotel that the city of Edmond shut down. It would be a nice piece of land along with a few other tracts in the area, that could be used to build a new Edmond Medical Center. With that done the old hospital could be dozed along with the doctors building and new facilities built. No way can they compete with Integris's new hospital/medical complex unless they build from the ground up. With Edmond around 100K population and growing and throw in the folks that come from points east like Luther/Welston and points beyond for health care, how could this not be a goo d investment???

Does Baptist own the huge parking lot across the street to the south? If so, that would be a great area for a huge new addition if it ever came down to it.

Thread Information