Widgets Magazine

Thread: Best Plant Nursery in the Metro

Default Best Plant Nursery in the Metro

I usually go to TLC on Memorial, David’s on 2nd(Edmond), or Precure by the outlets. I love plants(though I’m not a botanist) and I have around 50 specimens. I have a couple small greenhouse and I plan to be in Oklahoma for the next year so I want to find some new places that have unique specimens. If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it.

PS, I also want to shoot a shot at growing an Aspen tree here though they usually grow a little above our altitude and in cooler climates I’m just curious if I can get one to grow. Anyone know where you can find one around here?

Default Re: Best Plant Nursery in the Metro

I've been by but never have gone in. It looks really nice! I think they've been in business for a very long time at their location. Hope this helps.
    https://www.calverts.com/

3. Default Re: Best Plant Nursery in the Metro

Marcum's on the south side. Very friendly staff and good selection.

I was recently looking for a specific kind of ground cover to plant in a bed. I went to TLC first but they had none. I found it at Davison's just down the road a bit. That may just be a coincidence, but it worked for me.

Are you interested in Succulents & Cactus?

Quote Originally Posted by unfundedrick View Post
    I was recently looking for a specific kind of ground cover to plant in a bed. I went to TLC first but they had none. I found it at Davison's just down the road a bit. That may just be a coincidence, but it worked for me.
    My folks used Davison's instead of TLC for years, really liked them.

Our favorite is Bustani in Stillwater (not in the metro, I know, but worth the drive). They have a lot of great and interesting stuff. A lot of their plants are things they've found/been sent from all over the globe and then they take time to see what grows well in Oklahoma. Founded by a former OSU botany (I'm pretty sure botany - but if not definitely something plant-related) professor. Always interesting to see what they have. Will pull together photos of things that are currently blooming. Only downside is that they're only open in the spring and the fall. Opening back up on September 14 through October 2, but springtime is the prime time.

https://www.bustaniplantfarm.com

Calverts on Classen, near Classen Curve, has a lot of unique plants. They can be pricey, but I’ve found the service there to be generally good. Same with TLC on Memorial. I had a major issue with one of my trees and the arborist there gave me a ton of good advice.

Marcum’s Nursery’s owner, Monty Marcum, participated in the January 6th Trump rally and march to the Captiol that led to the insurrection attempt. Use that information however you like.

I've had good luck with Marcum's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    Are you interested in Succulents & Cactus?
    Sorry I just saw this but yes I’ve been getting more and more into that and bonsai trees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Sorry I just saw this but yes I’ve been getting more and more into that and bonsai trees as well.
    There is a place in MWC, I can't recall the name right this second, a lady has a big greenhouse behind her house. You have to call ahead for a appointment. There is an active local facebook page for Oklahoma City cactus & succulent lovers. I'll see if I can find the info when I get more time later.

EDIT TO ADD: If you are on facebook, search for this: "Central Oklahoma Cactus And Succulent Society".

The greenhouse business in MWC is "J & J Cactus & Succulent" Their website is nothing, you'll need to phone them. People who have patronized this business have nothing but good things to say.
    Last edited by Ward; 12-19-2021 at 03:52 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    There is a place in MWC, I can't recall the name right this second, a lady has a big greenhouse behind her house. You have to call ahead for a appointment. There is an active local facebook page for Oklahoma City cactus & succulent lovers. I'll see if I can find the info when I get more time later.

EDIT TO ADD: If you are on facebook, search for this: "Central Oklahoma Cactus And Succulent Society".

The greenhouse business in MWC is "J & J Cactus & Succulent" Their website is nothing, you'll need to phone them. People who have patronized this business have nothing but good things to say.
    Oh nice thanks for the heads up I will definitely check them out

Thread Information