Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eight Twenty Solar

Default Eight Twenty Solar

Couldn’t read the article b/c it was buried behind the DOK’s expensive paywall.

But it sounds like these guys (https://www.eighttwenty.com/) are thinking hard about a Bricktown HQ. Probably a small lease deal, I’d guess.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eight Twenty Solar

I already posted about this in the bricktown thread but Pete feel free to move those over here...

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    Couldn’t read the article b/c it was buried behind the DOK’s expensive paywall.

But it sounds like these guys (https://www.eighttwenty.com/) are thinking hard about a Bricktown HQ. Probably a small lease deal, I’d guess.
    see here

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...84#post1174784

This is a big enough thing for Bricktown and the JFK neighborhood that it deserves a thread of its own.

Referenced from the article by Steve Lackmeyer https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...wn/8063331002/

The development plan submitted Friday to the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority proposes a three-story, 15,000-square-foot office building to be designed by architect Rand Elliott, whose previous works includes Oklahoma Contemporary, Classen Curve, and much of the boathouse district along the Oklahoma River.

A 20,000-square-foot warehouse would be built next to the office building. The EightTwenty plan proposes a building constructed of architectural concrete and glass with exterior solar protection via architectural shading and an iconic facade facing west toward downtown and I-235.

Kind of a weird location for an office building, not sure the intentions for that, when there are plenty of vacant lots downtown.

But I imagine that piece of land was pretty cheap, lol.

I can see the benefit of the location considering you don't have to pass downtown design review since it is an office/warehouse development.

I wanted to give a s/o to this company. When we bought our new home, we decided we'd be going to solar in order to be able to power things during the next ice storm and so we wouldn't have to absorb the costs of the commodities market. We're getting a solar array with a backup battery installed. They have financing, so what I pay is roughly what the utility bill used to be. We're going with 1 or 2 electric vehicles in the next few years, so buying gas won't be a thing I worry about anymore. Should be pretty great.

I took several bids and ended up going with these guys because they were tens of thousands lower than the next bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I wanted to give a s/o to this company. When we bought our new home, we decided we'd be going to solar in order to be able to power things during the next ice storm and so we wouldn't have to absorb the costs of the commodities market. We're getting a solar array with a backup battery installed. They have financing, so what I pay is roughly what the utility bill used to be. We're going with 1 or 2 electric vehicles in the next few years, so buying gas won't be a thing I worry about anymore. Should be pretty great.

I took several bids and ended up going with these guys because they were tens of thousands lower than the next bid.
    what tech/company are you using for your battery backup ??

when they finish the install can you give us an update? i would like to know how it turned out

Did this not concern you? I know I get nervous when a bid comes in significantly under the average.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Did this not concern you? I know I get nervous when a bid comes in significantly under the average.
    Not really. They all use the same equipment. Either Enphase or Tesla. In my case, Enphase. And after the first day being able to monitor production, I'm sending enough to the rid that I'm a net-producer now, so my power bill will be a $13 per month connection fee.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    when they finish the install can you give us an update? i would like to know how it turned out
    It turned out great. Just this morning at 10:30a, I've already produced 10KW and consumed 7, sending 3 back to the grid which I can draw from tonight. Battery is nearly fully recharged.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    what tech/company are you using for your battery backup ??
    Enphase. It's a 10KWh battery. It's enough to mostly get me through the night while still maintaining a 30% charge. If it's not enough, I can always install a gas generator. The system comes prewired for it.

I will say something about EightTwenty's service. It was outstanding. After they finished their last day of wiring, about 30 minutes after they left, I noticed one of my breakers was stuck. Turns out when your house is wired, there are two bars in your junction box--one for ground, one for neutral. Unless you install solar, those both mean the same thing. One of my breakers was wired wrong. They had a crew back at my house within 20 minutes and it was fixed same day.

Enphase. It's a 10KWh battery. It's enough to mostly get me through the night while still maintaining a 30% charge. If it's not enough, I can always install a gas generator. The system comes prewired for it.
    Good deal. Thanks for the info. We are getting ready to build and want to include something like this

17. Default Re: Eight Twenty Solar

Happen to know if they do work all over the state? Walls are finally going up on the farm house near Ardmore and we are going solar and possibly wind too. Was looking at Generac but still in the shopping phase on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Happen to know if they do work all over the state? Walls are finally going up on the farm house near Ardmore and we are going solar and possibly wind too. Was looking at Generac but still in the shopping phase on it.
    Yeah, they are expanding into multiple states now. Ardmore would likely be no problem.

19. Default Re: Eight Twenty Solar

Yeah, they are expanding into multiple states now. Ardmore would likely be no problem.
    Thanks... checked out their website after I saw this and will be setting up an appointment with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Thanks... checked out their website after I saw this and will be setting up an appointment with them.
    If you do end up going with them, shoot me a PM, they do pay a respectable referral fee.

Having had it up and running now for a few days, all days in November thus far have been clear, so no clue how it does in cloud cover. My average bill was $250/month. My payment is $258/month + $13 to OG&E. You take into account the average increase in $/KkWh of 3% per year and the math gets real reasonable real fast.

We have between 30-40 panels on our roof, yesterday, we produced 52.4 kWh and consumed 27.3. We sent 30 kWh to the grid. When it got dark, my battery discharged to 30%, so there'd be some in reserve in case of emergencies (with the generation of microinverters we went with, you have to power them before you can generate power--the microinverters they're coming out with right now (gen 8 for enphase) can be self powered).

The battery is smart in that enphase monitors the National Weather Service, and if there is weather expected, the battery charges to 100% and you draw from the grid that day in anticipation of a service interruption.

I'd personally be wary of installing anything that uses natural gas anymore. Any product where you're not protected from a 100x price hike in the middle of a disaster is probably something you should avoid exposing yourself to.

21. Default Re: Eight Twenty Solar

If you do end up going with them, shoot me a PM, they do pay a respectable referral fee.
    Will do.... We are looking at possibly going both wind and solar powered.... Our farm is called Whirling S Homestead and there's a good reason we chose Whirling as part of the name.

Blog Entries

Very good thread, enjoyed looking at Enphase’s website. What about hail damaging the solar panels. And any idea on the life of your storage batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Very good thread, enjoyed looking at Enphase’s website. What about hail damaging the solar panels. And any idea on the life of your storage batteries.
    The batteries are guaranteed for 25 years to be at 85% (8.5kWh). My homeowner's went up a little bit, but I'm covered for weather damage. I'm told by EightTwenty that a lot fo the panels damaged in the Norman hail storm a bit ago were cracked, but production was unaffected. It was just cosmetic in many cases (I can't speak for whether a cracked panel is going to remain water tight and eventually result in a fire though).

After going through the process, I'm honestly surprised that we don't see panels on a lot more houses. If homeowners took more responsibility in generating their own power on a large scale, a real dent could be made in carbon emissions.

^^^^ cost? This is personal so I get if you don’t want to share but how much did you spend on it? I’m looking at helping my grandparents put a Tesla solar roof on their house and the cost was almost 100k. Not exactly chump change.

Blog Entries

Their site shows no money down options (e.g. loans)

Thread Information