Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2022 OKC Mayoral Race

Default Re: 2022 OKC Mayoral Race

I would think Stone is at the point that he would do anything for a paycheck. I am doubtful that his presence says much about the competitiveness or non-competitiveness of the mayoral race.

That being said, in a multi-candidate race that will have (presumably) extremely low turnout, it's important to take seriously the possibility of a surprise. I received a phone survey last night regarding the race. I am assuming it was from the Holt campaign, since I would guess they're the only ones with enough resources to be doing that right now. A large part of the poll was message testing, and from that I have concluded that Holt's campaign believes the main issues will be 1) his response to the pandemic, 2) his leadership of the MAPS 4 process, and 3) fending off attacks from the right on his being a "never Trumper" and supporting the recent infrastructure bill.

This is what Hefner told Channel 9:

"He actually called me to meet. I did not reach out to him, but the call was welcome," Hefner told News 9 anchor Karl Torp.
    This sounds very much like he was in town for other reasons (Lahmeyer, Trump support). Not surprising Stone would reach out to the Hefners as she was co-chair of Trump's campaign in Oklahoma and was also heavily involved in GOP fundraising and Robert is rich and well-connected in the oil biz. Who else is going to have dinner with the guy?

https://nondoc.com/2022/01/12/okc-ma...ted-to-debate/

any reason why Holt is skipping the debate?

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post

It’s not to his political advantage to share the stage with people like Urbanic and Hefner. He’s going to win in a landslide, so there is no political benefit. Nevertheless, it’s a disappointing decision as public officials should engage in public debate about the issues. It’s an important part of civic life.

Holt is also being lit up today over the anti-open records legislation he and the city council requested. His explanation for the request and his defense of it is bad and embarrassing. If only there was an opportunity where he would be required to defend those decisions in a public forum and respond to incisive questioning.

Just saw a political ad by Hefner claiming crime is plaguing the city suggesting we are on par with Chicago. She blames Holt for this so called crime epidemic. Christ, who the hell believes this crap?

Why would he want to validate their fringe candidacies?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Just saw a political ad by Hefner claiming crime is plaguing the city suggesting we are on par with Chicago. She blames Holt for this so called crime epidemic. Christ, who the hell believes this crap?
    Pretty typical right wing strategy of claiming cities are somehow scary. Works great on people who have never visited the cities that right wing candidates are talking about. Not sure how that works in a mayoral race though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Pretty typical right wing strategy of claiming cities are somehow scary. Works great on people who have never visited the cities that right wing candidates are talking about. Not sure how that works in a mayoral race though lol.
    I don’t know what’s funnier considering the fact that I just walked through Chicago at night in multiple places and had zero problems same thing in LA and I’m about to go next week back to my apartment.

Or the fact that David Holt isn’t right wing enough for the conservative nut jobs in Oklahoma.

I don’t know what’s funnier considering the fact that I just walked through Chicago at night in multiple places and had zero problems same thing in LA and I’m about to go next week back to my apartment.

Or the fact that David Holt isn’t right wing enough for the conservative nut jobs in Oklahoma.
    Yes, there were many times I did not agree with Holt as a state Senator, but I think he represents the city very well, and does a good job bridging the political divide, at least locally. A lot of my friends who are strong supporters of Holt would never have voted for him when he was in the state legislature.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Why would he want to validate their fringe candidacies?
    Is Jimmy Lawson a fringe candidate also?
    I never see his name mentioned as far as campaign issues, vision, etc.

It sounds like he’s scared!

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Is Jimmy Lawson a fringe candidate also?
    I never see his name mentioned as far as campaign issues, vision, etc.
    Not in the sense of running a crazy train campaign. Just not much infrastructure there to run a legitimate campaign. No offense to him personally, just not much there as far as a serious campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    Haha, no. It would actually be entertaining to watch him own the debate but it wouldn't add anything to his campaign and would give free pub to the folks who don't really have much support at all.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    It sounds like you’re Steve Hunt with a different account.

It sounds like you’re Steve Hunt with a different account.
    Meh, it’s just very much an “Inhofe” look.

I’m surprised Holt is comfortable with that. But whatevs.

I think the opponents are all fringe candidates, either through money or position, and Mayor Holt is about as center as be crafted. Not only is there no gain in sitting out this debate, there also is no downside.

17. Default Re: 2022 OKC Mayoral Race

^This
    Holt debating these opponents would be like OU scheduling Southwest Mississippi State, North Missouri Basket Weaving College, Arkansas Pig Farmer U and Michigan Ice Fishing College in an attempt to make the committee's playoff vote.

Blog Entries

Reminder:

The election for Mayor of Oklahoma City is Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Sample Ballot Lookup: https://ballotpedia.org/Sample_Ballot_Lookup

Today, January 20 is the last day to request an absentee ballot. You must reapply with your county election board each year.

If you need more information contact the Oklahoma County Election Board - 4201 North Lincoln Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73106
    (405) 713-1515

Don't forget to exercise your right to vote.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Reminder:

The election for Mayor of Oklahoma City is Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Sample Ballot Lookup: https://ballotpedia.org/Sample_Ballot_Lookup

Today, January 20 is the last day to request an absentee ballot. You must reapply with your county election board each year.

If you need more information contact the Oklahoma County Election Board - 4201 North Lincoln Boulevard, Oklahoma City, OK 73106
    (405) 713-1515

Don't forget to exercise your right to vote.
    Correction, the deadline is January 24th by 5pm, you still have time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-8-deadline.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	17296

20. Default Re: 2022 OKC Mayoral Race

Does anyone else have the honor of receiving text messages from Carol Hefner's campaign? So far she doesn't have any policy positions and seems to think the fact that she supports a former president who tried to overthrow the 2020 election and incited a violent insurrection qualifies her to be our next mayor.

When she loses, will Carol claim the election was rigged and there was massive voter fraud? Perhaps the homeless people she said Holt had bused in to OKC will tip the electoral scales in his favor.

The debate will be televised tonight (Tuesday 1/25) at 5:45 PM on news9.com.

Oklahoman is reporting that Holt has a 55 point polling lead over the closest competitor.

Also says Holt has raised $700,000. Urbanic: $14,000; Lawson: $4,000; Hefner has yet to report.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...te/6594441001/

Free Press OKC article on the debate:

https://freepressokc.com/mayor-holt-...ivering-ideas/

Free Press OKC article on the debate:

https://freepressokc.com/mayor-holt-...ivering-ideas/
    Good thing Holt sat this one out, what a clown show.

Thread Information