If this is being seriously considered, I trust that Joe Castiglione and Lincoln Riley have already discussed at length and have very good reasons.

Football playoffs are likely to expand to 8-12 teams, which means you don't have to win your conference to advance. If 12, you could easily see multiple SEC teams included.

Also, the move to that conference has been a godsend for Texas A&M. They were near oblivion for a long time and last year finished just one spot out of the 4-team playoff even with that rugged conference schedule.

I suspect Lincoln and Joe know we need to face better conference competition in order to win more national championships.

And they also know it's very hard to recruit players to the Big 12 out of all those football-rich SEC states.

I suspect, like the fans, they are a bit tired of winning the conference every year, usually making the playoffs, then going no farther.

The Big 8/12 has undergone so many changes over the last few decades there isn't much tradition to maintain.

And since we play Texas in Dallas every year, the home schedule has been very boring and that matters if you want people to show up for future games, as they can all sit home and watch for free and have a much better vantage point.

Might be time to get ourselves into a better position for the long haul.