Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Arizona to the Big XII. ASU and Utah likely to follow sometime in the next few days.
    with arizona in final talks, i think that's the most likely scenario.

my understanding is that the utah board and its fans are lukewarm toward the idea of big 12 membership. i think utah's first choice would be the big ten, but i think they'd be more interested in oregon and washington. so... asu follows arizona and utah needs a power 5 to land in before the pac 12's impending collapse.

Crazy turn of events overnight as it now looks like the remaining PAC schools are more likely to stick together, which would likely rule out ASU and Utah coming to the Big XII. Arizona still seems 50/50 to make the jump...if Arizona doesn't make the jump, best guess is that the Big XII rounds things out with UConn (which I think would be a terrible mistake, but I digress)

I recall reading the TV deal only allows a full share for 14 teams. The other 14 would have to accept a small haircut to expand to 16. I know the Big 10 is very proud of their schools being part of the Association of Universities, and I think Utah is a member. I don't know how much Utah wants to be seen as following BYU into a conference.

4. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I recall reading the TV deal only allows a full share for 14 teams. The other 14 would have to accept a small haircut to expand to 16. I know the Big 10 is very proud of their schools being part of the Association of Universities, and I think Utah is a member. I don't know how much Utah wants to be seen as following BYU into a conference.
    It was stated numerous times yesterday that the Big 12 - ESPN agreement is for up to 16 teams. I've heard the same a few times already today.

Crazy turn of events overnight as it now looks like the remaining PAC schools are more likely to stick together, which would likely rule out ASU and Utah coming to the Big XII. Arizona still seems 50/50 to make the jump...if Arizona doesn't make the jump, best guess is that the Big XII rounds things out with UConn (which I think would be a terrible mistake, but I digress)
    After all that, it looks like the PAC is going to die after all. This has been one of the most chaotic college football news days I can remember.

6. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Latest "breaking news" is that nothing was signed in the PAC 12 meeting.
    The Big 10 has officially offered spots to Washington and Oregon.
    Arizona, ASU and Utah need to be calling the Big 12 because the PAC isn't a major conference any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    It was stated numerous times yesterday that the Big 12 - ESPN agreement is for up to 16 teams. I've heard the same a few times already today.
    Yeah. I reread the Tramel column from yesterday. And he mentions that the Fox contract does not have the expansion to 16 payment clause. Only ESPN has that.

Latest "breaking news" is that nothing was signed in the PAC 12 meeting.
    The Big 10 has officially offered spots to Washington and Oregon.
    Arizona, ASU and Utah need to be calling the Big 12 because the PAC isn't a major conference any more.
    Man, as someone who grew up watching Apple Cup games, this sucks

The contract with ESPN states they will pay a full share for any P5 team that joins the conference. The Fox portion of the deal does not have this stipulation. Fox has verbally agreed to pay a full portion for 14 teams. So it would not be guaranteed the teams 15 and 16 would receive a full share. So the other 14 may have to take a slight cut to equal out payouts. It would depend on what Fox is willing to do.

10. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    It severely hurts the Rose Bowl too.

Yeah, i’m tired of all this movement. Although the SEC should be very entertaining.

There was a chance the traditional Big 10-Pac 10 Rose Bowl wasn't going to be played again any time soon. This year the Rose is a CFP semi host. The year after it might be wrapped up in the expanded playoffs anyway.

13. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    There was a chance the traditional Big 10-Pac 10 Rose Bowl wasn't going to be played again any time soon. This year the Rose is a CFP semi host. The year after it might be wrapped up in the expanded playoffs anyway.
    True.

14. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    The contract with ESPN states they will pay a full share for any P5 team that joins the conference. The Fox portion of the deal does not have this stipulation. Fox has verbally agreed to pay a full portion for 14 teams. So it would not be guaranteed the teams 15 and 16 would receive a full share. So the other 14 may have to take a slight cut to equal out payouts. It would depend on what Fox is willing to do.
    I would think FOX would be interested in gaining the Arizona market.

Arizona State and Utah could be forced to come in on partial shares if Fox doesn’t want to match. These schools don’t really have any other options so they would pretty much be forced to take whatever the Big 12 offers.

This conference realignment is a total $&!% show.

A major appeal of the smaller conferences were close rivalries and a consensus champion as teams only play twelve games a year.

Now we have sixteen and maybe eighteen team conferences with teams that have no historical rivalries whatsoever.

We might as well have a sixty team conference now.

& The Pac after dark got a lot of hate but I thought it was great. I am a night owl so watching a Saturday kickoff at 9pm was something I enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    & The Pac after dark got a lot of hate but I thought it was great. I am a night owl so watching a Saturday kickoff at 9pm was something I enjoyed.
    those late games are not going away .. they will now just be big 12 and big 10 games

asu ua and uu to the big 12 is now official ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    those late games are not going away .. they will now just be big 12 and big 10 games

asu ua and uu to the big 12 is now official ..
    not exactly. there's no way that the networks would allow a game like USC v. Ohio State to be played at 10pm Central Time.

there's some games that will definitely be played later in the night, but the ones people actually want to watch will not fall in that category.

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    not exactly. there's no way that the networks would allow a game like USC v. Ohio State to be played at 10pm Central Time.
    there's some games that will definitely be played later in the night, but the ones people actually want to watch will not fall in that category.
    A game of that magnitude wouldn’t get placed in that time slot anyways. Would likely be prime time on ABC or Fox. But there’s always going be west coast games airing later at night.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    A game of that magnitude wouldn’t get placed in that time slot anyways. Would likely be prime time on ABC or Fox. But there’s always going be west coast games airing later at night.
    Big 10 is longer being aired on ABC/ESPN.

The Big 12 bringing in 4 new AAU member schools to the conference that Oklahoma State can align with academically will help OSU obtain AAU status itself. There are now 5 AAU members in the Big 12.

The Big 12 bringing in 4 new AAU member schools to the conference that Oklahoma State can align with academically will help OSU obtain AAU status itself. There are now 5 AAU members in the Big 12.

Blog Entries

AAU doesn’t take athletic conference into consideration for qualification. It’s academic and OSU would have to raise its standing considerably. “Associations” have nothing to do with it.

Yeah that does suck. Kinda like if you grew up watching a professional sports team and all of the sudden it ceased to exist entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

Dunk HAHA.

Thread Information