Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Currently, OU has to go to Ames, Iowa and Morgantown, Virginia and some other places not so close.

Would likely be in a western division in the SEC with Texas, A&M, LSU, Arkansas and the 2 Mississippi schools.
    At least for football, I think the pod idea makes the most sense. OU would be in a pod with UT, A&M, and Arkansas (or sub in Mizzou for one of them). They'd play each of the three pod teams every year and then every other team every other year (or likely two on two off like the old Big 12 schedule). This means OU would play everyone, but also develop/maintain closer rivals. This avoids the problem of simpler never playing some teams that exists now. A&M has been in the SEC almost a decade and never played at Georgia. The pod system would fix that.

^

Of course, the pods would just be for football.

Still lots of travel for the non-revenue sports but of course we'll also have a lot more money as well.

Here is a hot take question: Has Governor Stitt's blatant favoritism of OSU offended OU at such a level that being bound to OSU in any conference move was no longer important?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    An agreement of this magnitude will definitely require more than a handshake. Texas A&M you think would know better--you put this type of agreement in writing.

The only thing that could derail OU joining the SEC would be if Governor Stitt & The Oklahoma Legislature decided to kill this with some late legislation. Anyone who were to sign on to an agreement prohibiting OU from joining the SEC with Texas risks political suicide.

BTW Pete, might be a good idea to get an SEC post Icon prepared.
    aTm Board of Regents is meeting Monday to discuss issues related to the SEC, should be an interesting meeting.

As far as them “knowing better” than to believe the “gentleman’s agreement” could be legally enforceable, the former aTm president who engineered their move to the SEC certainly seems to think it is.

Stitt’s silence on this up to now is surprising, but I don’t see him calling a special legislative session to try and stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Here is a hot take question: Has Governor Stitt's blatant favoritism of OSU offended OU at such a level that being bound to OSU in any conference move was no longer important?
    This has nothing to do with OSU, it’s all about money, the ability to recruit top athletes and access to playoff slots, which also translates to money.

Maybe the OU/Texas move is not a settled issue

The Big 12 Conference Executive Committee, consisting of Big 12 Board of Directors chairman and Texas Tech University President Lawrence Schovanec and Baylor University President Linda Livingstone; and Commissioner Bob Bowlsby met by videoconference Sunday afternoon with University of Oklahoma President Joe Harroz and University of Texas President Jay Hartzell.

“The meeting was cordial, and the Executive Committee expressed a willingness to discuss proposals that would strengthen the Conference and be mutually beneficial to OU and UT, as well as the other member institutions of the Conference,” Bowlsby stated. “I expect that we will continue our conversations in the days ahead and we look forward to discussing thoughts, ideas and concepts that may be of shared interest and impact.”

I think the SEC is a done deal.

OU and Texas should have bolted when Colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou and A&M all left.

The future of the Big 12 is not bright. If there is an opportunity to go, it will be taken IMO.

8. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Maybe the OU/Texas move is not a settled issue

The Big 12 Conference Executive Committee, consisting of Big 12 Board of Directors chairman and Texas Tech University President Lawrence Schovanec and Baylor University President Linda Livingstone; and Commissioner Bob Bowlsby met by videoconference Sunday afternoon with University of Oklahoma President Joe Harroz and University of Texas President Jay Hartzell.

“The meeting was cordial, and the Executive Committee expressed a willingness to discuss proposals that would strengthen the Conference and be mutually beneficial to OU and UT, as well as the other member institutions of the Conference,” Bowlsby stated. “I expect that we will continue our conversations in the days ahead and we look forward to discussing thoughts, ideas and concepts that may be of shared interest and impact.”
    I read one source that said the Big 12 may offer OU and TX a 1.5 share of revenue if they stay. I think that would be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    I read one source that said the Big 12 may offer OU and TX a 1.5 share of revenue if they stay. I think that would be a disaster.
    An extra half share of a shrinking revenue pie isn’t much of an incentive, IMO.

I’ve never heard another OU fan ever mention anything about dissatisfaction with OSU because of Stitt. I don’t think most (any?) OU fans or admin have a problem with OSU. These moves seem like an attempt to put OU in the best position in the future.

That's a good question, I was thinking along those same lines. I believe that OSU is in a weak position with both a new president and athletic director and OU decided with their course of action without asking for permission.

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    just to put these numbers in perspective .. that would mean that OU and Texas would make 57 mil each before their own 3rd tier rights .. (7 for OU 15 for UT) the little 8 would then make 33.25 a year ..

that would keep OU and UT above the SEC and Big 10 for the next 4 years ..... but then they would fall behind again .... SEC with OU and Texas will be over 70 mil a year per school in 2025

and that is why they are leaving

It's a money game. There is no way the Big12 can match what the SEC is offering. They should leave for the SEC and let the Big12 dissolve.

I'm and OSU fan, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I'm excited about it though l feel badly for the rest of the conference and OSU specifically.
    As an OSU alum, fan, and parent of a current student, I'm fine with it. I think it's a good move for OU, and honestly I think OSU could benefit from the long run. I think they could come out financially better, being part of a super conference PAC, and at the minimum it will get them out from under OU's shadow. No matter how competitive they are in various sports, and despite the fact that their football program has grown into something that 75% of colleges would love to have, they're always little brother, and folks will always compare their record to OU's entire record (which is an unfair comparison IMO), and even on those rare occasions they are top of the conference, it just gets dismissed as an "off year" for OU and Texas. If OSU is able to go out and be a force in another conference, without OU, they will shine a lot brighter IMO. I think there is enough interest in the in-state rivalry that we'll still see bedlam games, even if the scheduling is a little trickier.

Of course, if OSU can't jump into a better conference and ends up riding down with a sinking big 12, that's a whole other issue, but I feel like at some point it's on them for sticking around too long.

ESPN reporting the same.

Question for all the OU fans out there (I am one, by the way): After OU joins the SEC, how long after will it take for you to chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" after a win against a non-conference opponent? As an OU fan for the entire 42 years of my life, I don't think I ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Question for all the OU fans out there (I am one, by the way): After OU joins the SEC, how long after will it take for you to chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" after a win against a non-conference opponent? As an OU fan for the entire 42 years of my life, I don't think I ever will.
    I also never will ...... but I'm sure the students will and will very quickly ..

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    As an OSU alum, fan, and parent of a current student, I'm fine with it. I think it's a good move for OU, and honestly I think OSU could benefit from the long run. I think they could come out financially better, being part of a super conference PAC, and at the minimum it will get them out from under OU's shadow. No matter how competitive they are in various sports, and despite the fact that their football program has grown into something that 75% of colleges would love to have, they're always little brother, and folks will always compare their record to OU's entire record (which is an unfair comparison IMO), and even on those rare occasions they are top of the conference, it just gets dismissed as an "off year" for OU and Texas. If OSU is able to go out and be a force in another conference, without OU, they will shine a lot brighter IMO. I think there is enough interest in the in-state rivalry that we'll still see bedlam games, even if the scheduling is a little trickier.

Of course, if OSU can't jump into a better conference and ends up riding down with a sinking big 12, that's a whole other issue, but I feel like at some point it's on them for sticking around too long.
    Osu in no way can come out better financially ..

Never.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Never.
    I have extended family in the SE with family members with ties to Auburn, Bama, Florida, South carolina, UGA, Vandy and UK. I will never, ever do the SEC chat anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Osu in no way can come out better financially ..
    ok... lol

Now that the two schools have formally announced their intention not to renew the grant of TV rights, lots of credible reports saying the letter to notify the conference of their intent to fully withdraw could come later today.

And once that happens, it's expected the SEC will quickly approve (likely 13-1).

I'm sure everyone involved wants to get this wrapped up before practice starts in full on August 7th. Nobody wants that type of distraction when trying to get players and coaches focused.

24. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post

I agree. I think OSU will come out of it just fine. They have good athletics and will find a good fit for them.

That being said, I do wish they would have been able to join the SEC with OU. It would be nice to have everyone in one place but I just don't think it shook out like that.

I'm onboard with never doing this.

Thread Information