Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

The Big 10 would never take K-State or WV, as both have bad academics.

I'm not sure the Pac 12 would take the others for the same reason and in the case of TCU and especially Baylor, their religious ties.

These are the latest academic rankings by US News:

3. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

I dunno, I think the days of choosing schools because of academics are past us. The big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland and while yes they are good academic schools, to me the actually devalued the perceptive brand of the big 10. I think Nebraska helped but holy crap they are terrible now.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I dunno, I think the days of choosing schools because of academics are past us. The big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland and while yes they are good academic schools, to me the actually devalued the perceptive brand of the big 10. I think Nebraska helped but holy crap they are terrible now.
    Look at the numbers above; Maryland and Rutgers are both excellent state universities and when the Big 10 admitted Nebraska they were still part of the AAU.

The Pac took lowly Oregon St. and Washington St. because of the package deal with U of Oregon and U-dub.

Academics do matter to conferences except the Big 12 and maybe the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Look at the numbers above; Maryland and Rutgers are both excellent state universities and when the Big 10 admitted Nebraska they were still part of the AAU.

The Pac took lowly Oregon St. and Washington St. because of the package deal with U of Oregon and U-dub.

Another +1 and zeros

6. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

After OU and UT go to the SEC there will be 8 teams left in the Big12 and 8 openings total in the ACC, Big10 and PAC12 if they want to create 4 16 team conferences. Doesn't it seem logical that the conferences will somehow make that happen?

Pretty sure wsu and osu were original pac-10 members.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Pretty sure wsu and osu were original pac-10 members.
    Yes, that's correct.

Even original to the Pac 8.

9. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Also just saw on ESPN that the PAC12 has stated that they are "Interested in taking in new members".

My best guess:

KU and ISU to the Big Ten
    OSU, Tech, TCU, K-State to the Pac-12
    WVU and Cincy to the ACC
    Baylor to the AAC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Also just saw on ESPN that the PAC12 has stated that they are "Interested in taking in new members".
    Wow, this seems to be moving fast! But I guess it’s not that fast if things have been in the works for 6 months now.

Given the even bigger power of the SEC if this comes to pass, the other conferences are going to have to step up.

Given the even bigger power of the SEC if this comes to pass, the other conferences are going to have to step up.
    Yep, that’s why it seems fairly likely IMO that everyone is going to go to 16 teams in short order. Arguably the fact that the Big XII stayed at ten for a decade is why this is happening in the first place.

^

Big 12 was lucky to get to 10 after the 4 schools left.

Took TCU and West Virginia which are both pretty weak.

The conference has been on life support for some time.

As a graduate, I am disappointed OU’s academic ranking is so low and apparently the state and university leadership is ok with mediocrity

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    As a graduate, I am disappointed OU’s academic ranking is so low and apparently the state and university leadership is ok with mediocrity
    It's been a bit better in the past but the saddest thing about looking at that chart is how almost every other state has at least one excellent university while Oklahoma has none.

Blog Entries

OU would not be last in any of those other conferences except tied with Nebraska. For that mater Kansas wouldn't be last in any, and Kansas State would only be last in the Big 10. Just saying almost everybody has worse members that are already there.

I suspect conferences will shift into a different mode if OU & Texas join the SEC and start adding schools they wouldn't normally admit.

19. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    My best guess:

OSU, Tech, TCU, K-State to the Pac-12
    WVU and Cincy to the ACC
    Baylor to the AAC
    Yeah. But Baylor not in the "Power 4". Yes they have had issues lately but they've also been a decent to good FB program even with the scandals. Personally I'd love to see them fade into oblivion for their lack of control. I'm just not sure that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Yeah. But Baylor not in the "Power 4". Yes they have had issues lately but they've also been a decent to good FB program even with the scandals. Personally I'd love to see them fade into oblivion for their lack of control. I'm just not sure that will happen.
    Big Ten won’t take them due to geography. Pac-12 won’t take them due to their overtly religious profile (as opposed to TCU which is mostly a religious school in name only). It’ll all depend on whether or not they can make a better impression on the ACC than Cincinnati, IMO. I actually tend to think Baylor would do fine in the AAC. They’d likely continue to be a basketball powerhouse and would also stand to go 9-3 or better in football most years. And I personally don’t have much ill will against Baylor now after they cleaned house back in 2016. Enjoyed seeing them win March Madness a few months back. Just stating what I feel is the most likely outcome. The main reason Baylor got into the Big XII in the first place was due to having a lot of influence in Texas politics back in the mid-90’s, and that influence is much less now.

21. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Gotta invest in the school. Not a popular thing here.

I do think OU Health is a good step forward and Harroz will do good work. Going to fight and uphill battle though.

22. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Big Ten won’t take them due to geography. Pac-12 won’t take them due to their overtly religious profile (as opposed to TCU which is mostly a religious school in name only). It’ll all depend on whether or not they can make a better impression on the ACC than Cincinnati, IMO. I actually tend to think Baylor would do fine in the AAC. They’d likely continue to be a basketball powerhouse and would also stand to go 9-3 or better in football most years. And I personally don’t have much ill will against Baylor now after they cleaned house back in 2016. Enjoyed seeing them win March Madness a few months back. Just stating what I feel is the most likely outcome. The main reason Baylor got into the Big XII in the first place was due to having a lot of influence in Texas politics back in the mid-90’s, and that influence is much less now.
    All this is accurate and makes sense. But Baylor has spent the last ? years working on becoming a national FB program. Not being in the new "Power 4" would be a big kick in the nuts. Will non "Power 4" teams have a shot at the possible 12 team playoff?

Blog Entries

US News rankings are not very reliable.

What the BIG 10 cares about is AAU membership. Nebraska is the only school in the BIG 10 that isn't a member, and when they were a AAU member when they moved but lost membership soon after. The only AAU members in the Big 12 are Texas, KU and ISU.

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    US News rankings are not very reliable.

What the BIG 10 cares about is AAU membership. Nebraska is the only school in the BIG 10 that isn't a member, and when they were a AAU member when they moved but lost membership soon after. The only AAU members in the Big 12 are Texas, KU and ISU.

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members
    It's as reliable as any academic metric and I included the numbers just to provide a general perspective.

Everyone knows it's not a scientific measure.

I’m usually very bad at this stuff, but here’s my guess:

OU and Tex to the SEC
    OSU and Tech to the Pac-12
    WVU and Baylor to the AAC
    TCU to Sunbelt
    KSU to MAC

Thread Information