Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

I can't help but think the Big Ten would be a better move for OU/TX. I don't want OU to be stuck in this current situation much longer, though. If the Big 12 doesn't move to add teams, OU should leave.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    I can't help but think the Big Ten would be a better move for OU/TX. I don't want OU to be stuck in this current situation much longer, though. If the Big 12 doesn't move to add teams, OU should leave.
    Nobody worth having would come to the Big 12. Who would we add? Louisville? SMU? Tulsa? Scrambled to add TCU and West Virginia last time, and they are weak sisters.

There are good reasons Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou all jumped at the first chance. The Big 12 is a sinking ship.

And one point that hasn't been mentioned: with the ever-weakening power of the NCAA, conferences will have even more clout, especially the powerful ones.

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    personally, i'd prefer the big ten over the sec... but i'd think that ou would be a tough sell since the big ten prefers its schools to be part of the aau. now... they've historically courted notre dame which isn't a member and nebraska lost its membership after joining, so there are exceptions.

A&M jumped because of the formation of the Longhorn network. At yesterdays SEC news conference, they still do not want to be in the same conference with Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    personally, i'd prefer the big ten over the sec... but i'd think that ou would be a tough sell since the big ten prefers its schools to be part of the aau. now... they've historically courted notre dame which isn't a member and nebraska lost its membership after joining, so there are exceptions.
    I bet we see the AAU thing become less important very quickly if OU and UT for some reason don’t get into the SEC. ISU and KU would be a good fit in that regard but I still would kind of like to see KU to the ACC. Would love to see ISU go to the Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    A&M jumped because of the formation of the Longhorn network. At yesterdays SEC news conference, they still do not want to be in the same conference with Texas.
    It just makes them look scared to compete and if this comes to pass, petty and silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Yeah but they don’t have near enough leverage in the conference or prestige to stop it. Based on Carey Murdocks article…all other SEC schools are for it and would likely sit down with aTm in an attempt to persuade them to get on board…but will move forward regardless. If they go with a 4 pod divisional set up, I think you could pitch them on including them in one with LSU, Miss St and Ole Miss so that they still can win their division without having to go through Texas. Then everyone will get one rivalry game outside of their pod that they play every year. I bet they both would jump at restarting the rivalry if in the same conference (though probably not act excited about it publicly)…the money and popularity is just too good not to fire that back up again.

It would be pretty cool to be in a pod with Arkansas, UT, and Mizzou then get to play a variety of other SEC teams every year.

As an okstate fan, this blows. Assuming the pac12 would even take okstate, watching those games would be painful. 2 hours behind our current time? Games starting at 9 or later? No thanks. I would probably be watching much less football..which I'm sure the school is concerned about (losing viewers, not losing me personally lol).

I'm concerned okstate wouldn't be selected for the PAC12. If that happens, wouldn't they drop to conference USA? Would they be better off trying to keep the conference together?

The road games would make the B10 a non starter for UT and OU fans. Same problem with the PAC.

the big 10 will be terrible for recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nobody worth having would come to the Big 12. Who would we add? Louisville? SMU? Tulsa? Scrambled to add TCU and West Virginia last time, and they are weak sisters.

There are good reasons Nebraska, Colorado, A&M and Mizzou all jumped at the first chance. The Big 12 is a sinking ship.

And one point that hasn't been mentioned: with the ever-weakening power of the NCAA, conferences will have even more clout, especially the powerful ones.
    +1

OU board of regents meeting has been moved up from October to September ..

Yeah, I don't disagree, at all. My hatred for the SEC colors my thinking, also it would be fun to move into the Big 10 and start dominating right away, which I think OU would. Possible that happens in the SEC, too, but I have my concerns.

I especially agree with the sinking ship.

I really dislike the SEC and the South in general.

But this would be a very smart move for OU, and that's the most important thing to me.

At some point, the SEC becomes so big (not in terms of number of teams but market share) that they may be tempted to just eschew the NCAA entirely and just be The SEC

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    At some point, the SEC becomes so big (not in terms of number of teams but market share) that they may be tempted to just eschew the NCAA entirely and just be The SEC
    I think that's a likely scenario for the entire Power 5.

Be curious to know who, if anyone, is/are coming and going from the Max Westheimer and Will Rogers airports

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I think that's a likely scenario for the entire Power 5.
    power 5 becomes power 4 if OU and ut go to the sec

Another big change rippling through CFB: the ability for players to get paid for name, image and likeness.

The huge exposure and success of the SEC will trickle down to the players.

That is going to affect recruiting, you can be sure... Especially when half our games come on before most recruits are out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    power 5 becomes power 4 if OU and ut go to the sec
    Sorry, that's what I meant.

Another big change rippling through CFB: the ability for players to get paid for name, image and likeness.

The huge exposure and success of the SEC will trickle down to the players.

That is going to affect recruiting, you can be sure... Especially when half our games come on before most recruits are out of bed.
    ^^

That's exactly right. Castiglione is no dummy. He sees the writing on the wall and he's doing a preemptive strike to secure Oklahoma as a powerful name for the next century of college football.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    ^^

That's exactly right. Castiglione is no dummy. He sees the writing on the wall and he's doing a preemptive strike to secure Oklahoma as a powerful name for the next century of college football.
    And Lincoln Riley is equally sharp and completely tuned into current youth culture.

He uses social media as an effective tool, was instrumental in landing the new Nike deal, and has the foresight to do big events like the recent BBQ where all those recruits could get a professional photo session in an OU uniform and with exotic cars. All of them immediately posted all that on Instagram, you can be sure.

The middle-aged crowd can bemoan all this stuff but Lincoln gets it and OU would never, ever make this move if he wasn't fully behind it. People underestimate his ample intelligence and the fact he is still one of the youngest head coaches and an innovator in many ways.

Castiglione finally realized that the OU fan base was tired of the 8 little brothers piggy backing on OU.
    OU kept asking to not have all home games at 11am but the tv channels only see value in UT and OU games and little value in the other 8. That is why OU was always on at 11am.

My guess is that big 12 picks up 4 or 6 of the AAC schools. the Little 8 and add Memphis, Cinci, Houston SMU USF and UCF. And this year Cinci would be the best team in that conference this year.

OSU fans make fun of OU fans because not all OU fans went to OU. But the reality is, a school wants more fans than just the alumni. The more eyeballs watching your football games the better.

24. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

And Lincoln Riley is equally sharp and completely tuned into current youth culture.

He uses social media as an effective tool, was instrumental in landing the new Nike deal, and has the foresight to do big events like the recent BBQ where all those recruits could get a professional photo session in an OU uniform and with exotic cars. All of them immediately posted all that on Instagram, you can be sure.

The middle-aged crowd can bemoan all this stuff but Lincoln gets it and OU would never, ever make this move if he wasn't fully behind it. People underestimate his ample intelligence and the fact he is still one of the youngest head coaches and an innovator in many ways.
    Great points. Lincoln does really get it. That’s why we get the players we do.

lol... as a guy who watches most of the games on tv, i actually like the 11am games... i get to watch and then get on with my day.

i'll show myself out. : )

Thread Information