Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is correct .... .OU was in lock step with texas ... OU was not going to the Pac12 if Texas was also not going .. (it would not have been a good long term choice with out texas included )
    But it's also true that under Boren, OU wouldn't have gone to the Pac-12 without OSU.

It seems that has likely changed under Harroz.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    But it's also true that under Boren, OU wouldn't have gone to the Pac-12 without OSU.

It seems that has likely changed under Harroz.
    absolutely correct ..

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 12 Conference

The current voting setup is that 11 of the 14 SEC teams have to approve a new school.

One team does not have veto power and it's hard to imagine who would vote against OU or Texas, two of the best athletic programs in the country.

Even if A&M is against one or both, why on earth would the other schools turn down the massive dollars that would flow into their profit-sharing conference?
    Pete, you and PhiApha are on the same page--any conference would welcome OU & UT; they wouldn't have to think twice about it.

And for both OU and Texas, this would almost certainly mean the end to all those horrible 11AM kickoffs.

The SEC has much more power in positioning for TV times and some of the schools are in the Eastern time zone.

11AM kicks are horrible for the school, town, team, fans, TV and recruiting. And I know Lincoln Riley and Joe Castiglione are both completely sick of them.

Berry Tramel wrote this:

ESPN and Fox indicated no interest in early negotiations for an extension of their Big 12 television contracts. That was a flashing yellow on the road to contentment, especially since the Big 12 in 2019 signed up with ESPN for streaming in lieu of a conference network. When the Big 12 gets around to a new contract for the 2025 season, it will have been last in line among the new deals, potentially meaning the prime television windows will be taken. You know what that means. More 11 a.m. kickoffs.

This is going to have a big ripple effect on collegiate sports, now that it looks like OU and UT are looking elsewhere. It looks like big shakeups all around. This is going to get interesting.

Need another reason to see why this makes sense for OU? Look at this year's home football schedule. It is pathetic. The best game is Iowa State. Now want to see something even worse? Look at next year's home schedule. Those schedules won't sell tickets.

Also, our baseball program is going to get straight up embarrassed in the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    Need another reason to see why this makes sense for OU? Look at this year's home football schedule. It is pathetic. The best game is Iowa State. Now want to see something even worse? Look at next year's home schedule. Those schedules won't sell tickets.
    Joe Castiglione knows this better than anyone. Since the Texas game is in Dallas every year, our home schedule is incredibly lame.

Even before the pandemic it was increasingly hard to fill seats. All the games are televised and almost everyone has huge TV's, so why go fry/freeze in the stands? And we are far from done with Covid-19.

I've always had season tickets but will likely let them lapse because it's easy to find tickets for any game if I want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kzizok View Post
    This is going to have a big ripple effect on collegiate sports, now that it looks like OU and UT are looking elsewhere. It looks like big shakeups all around. This is going to get interesting.
    I wonder what the over/ under is here? I can’t say I’d complain when it comes to football. Other sports however. I wonder if there are negotiations to stay in the big 12 taking place

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post

Also, our baseball program is going to get straight up embarrassed in the SEC.
    Good. If we want to be one of the big boys, let’s get off our ass and do what it takes to compete and win.

^

With baseball it would likely mean the extensive renovations for Mitchell Field would finally be funded and completed.

The biggest issue in the SEC would be the lack of wrestling but OU could still stay in the Big 12 for that, or just schedule as they always have.

Just wondering, does the State government have any decision making power on which conference OU/OSU/TU (etc.) join?

And for both OU and Texas, this would almost certainly mean the end to all those horrible 11AM kickoffs.

The SEC has much more power in positioning for TV times and some of the schools are in the Eastern time zone.

11AM kicks are horrible for the school, town, team, fans, TV and recruiting. And I know Lincoln Riley and Joe Castiglione are both completely sick of them.

Berry Tramel wrote this:
    Yeah based on a few articles I’ve seen, the combo of the TV deals and getting the 11 AM kickoff for Nebraska plus everyone (including Bob Bowlsby) giving OU the finger when Castiglione complained was the straw that broke the camel’s back.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Just wondering, does the State government have any decision making power on which conference OU/OSU/TU (etc.) join?
    No idea, but let’s say they do. From a realistic standpoint…would you really want to stick your neck out and be the politician (or group of politicians) that is blamed for OU not being allowed to join the SEC and being forced to stay in the Big 12? How do you think becoming the scapegoat to a huge, rabid and highly emotional fan base (that is extremely frustrated by scheduling and the big 12 in general) would play into your reelection prospects?

In OK, OU football may be the one thing that’s more powerful and has more influence than rich people or the state government.

I doubt one school has veto power over who can join the conference.

And even if so, I don't think A&M would necessarily block Texas.
    From what I've read, you are right. It takes something like 75% or 80% of the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    No idea, but let’s say they do. From a realistic standpoint…would you really want to stick your neck out and be the politician (or group of politicians) that is blamed for OU not being allowed to join the SEC and being forced to stay in the Big 12? How do you think becoming the scapegoat to a huge, rabid and highly emotional fan base (that is extremely frustrated by scheduling and the big 12 in general) would play into your reelection prospects?

In OK, OU football may be the one thing that’s more powerful and has more influence than rich people or the state government.
    This right here. Is there some bizarre political move that could happen with Stitt/Legislature to put pressure on the OU Board of Regents? Maybe... but no sane person is sticking their neck out on this issue unless their constituents are from Payne County.

It's been reported that Mizzou and A&M are opposed.

17. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    That is 85% in favor unless they have one more? No idea if two saying no is enough or not.

This could all just be a ploy for OU and Texas to get more money for TV rights in the Big 12. No idea if any of it is true.

Yes…people within those institutions are publicly saying that for their fanbases but the meeting will be held behind closed doors just like before and no one will know the count or how each school voted. What they say publicly is largely irrelevant. It will likely be 14-0 in favor if it comes down to that.

only one person has reported that mizzou was opposed ... lots have reported that mizzou would vote yes .. and thier football coach is also on board ..

the only no vote for sure is TAMU ..

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    That is 85% in favor unless they have one more? No idea if two saying no is enough or not.

This could all just be a ploy for OU and Texas to get more money for TV rights in the Big 12. No idea if any of it is true.
    As Pete said above…no one will even negotiate a new tv contract with the big 12 right now. Highly doubt it’s about trying to get more money out of a big 12 TV deal.

^

With baseball it would likely mean the extensive renovations for Mitchell Field would finally be funded and completed.

The biggest issue in the SEC would be the lack of wrestling but OU could still stay in the Big 12 for that, or just schedule as they always have.
    I don't believe it would be possible for the B12 to exist as an entity without OU & UT as fb members.
    The ACC would be attractive for KU to join.

Money talks.

And this would be a financial windfall for all involved.

Given the fact that all universities have taken a huge financial hit over the last two years with perhaps more tough times ahead and with everything shifting heavily to streaming, revenue is what will drive all these decisions.

One one hand I start to wonder, why would we want to leave the conference where we are the big fish and continually get to the playoff. But on the other hand, this is an issue that is not going to go away and as powerful and mighty as we think OU is, we sure need to watch that we aren't left on the outside looking in when it all shakes out in the end. I do believe Castiglione is the absolute best at what he does and have full trust in him that he is doing what is best for OU. As much as we hate to admit, I feel the need at this moment to marry ourselves with Texas as a package. In the grand scheme of things it's really all about money, and OU quite frankly doesn't bring the possible viewership or what not which does Texas. What we do bring is a historied program that is arguably hardly matched and we need to use that to our advantage so that we're not left out holding our pride flag when really it's all about the bottom dollar. Joe is trying to situate us to be well positioned for the next century of college football and it's his vision that is going to get us there. Let's face it, geographically speaking we are in the gray area of the country as to which region we belong to so we might as well marry ourselves to the east because if you don't like 11AM kickoff now, we might start getting multiple 9PM kick-off hours or even later if we played the Pac12 schedule. As for the OSU deal, they can finally be at the top of the conference with OU and Texas' absence. But in reality I don't think the Big12 would make it very well without OU/TX in the long haul as I believe, should this SEC deal happen, it will ultimately kick the super conference theory into full steam. In terms of the Bedlam rivalry, I'm sorry but it's really not much of a competition in terms of overall wins/losses to each other. Though I do understand the point of view OSU fans have looking in from the outside, It is what it is. Sorry Cowboys.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    One one hand I start to wonder, why would we want to leave the conference where we are the big fish and continually get to the playoff. But on the other hand, this is an issue that is not going to go away and as powerful and mighty as we think OU is, we sure need to watch that we aren't left on the outside looking in when it all shakes out in the end. I do believe Castiglione is the absolute best at what he does and have full trust in him that he is doing what is best for OU. As much as we hate to admit, I feel the need at this moment to marry ourselves with Texas as a package. In the grand scheme of things it's really all about money, and OU quite frankly doesn't bring the possible viewership or what not which does Texas. What we do bring is a historied program that is arguably hardly matched and we need to use that to our advantage so that we're not left out holding our pride flag when really it's all about the bottom dollar. Joe is trying to situate us to be well positioned for the next century of college football and it's his vision that is going to get us there. Let's face it, geographically speaking we are in the gray area of the country as to which region we belong to so we might as well marry ourselves to the east because if you don't like 11AM kickoff now, we might start getting multiple 9PM kick-off hours or even later if we played the Pac12 schedule. As for the OSU deal, they can finally be at the top of the conference with OU and Texas' absence. But in reality I don't think the Big12 would make it very well without OU/TX in the long haul as I believe, should this SEC deal happen, it will ultimately kick the super conference theory into full steam. In terms of the Bedlam rivalry, I'm sorry but it's really not much of a competition in terms of overall wins/losses to each other. Though I do understand the point of view OSU fans have looking in from the outside, It is what it is. Sorry Cowboys.
    Everything you said is valid. To your very first point, "why would we want to leave", the benefit of winning the Big12 every year will be largely moot once the 12 team playoff is implemented. The many other benefits have been laid out by others but I think Joe C and Joe H know that a few years from now the semi-auto berth that OU would walk into no longer has such a draw.

I said the Big 12 wouldn't last when TAMU and MU left, and I still think it's on life support. The quicker OU makes a move, the better for them IMO. Bummer for OSU to be left out, but they'll find a landing spot.

Thread Information