Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

1. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    None of the remaining Big 12 schools have recruited well anyway. And, I do not see a plausible option where the Big 12 is not a tier below other leagues. That ship has likely sailed. These schools can at least create a stable situation.
    How stable can it really be? That could largely be based on how big a TV contract the remains of the Big 12 can get and that likely will be a problem.

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

The reality is that OU and Texas propped up the entire big12.

The other 8 teams have little value. The tv payouts will be much much less.

3. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

If I were OSU, Kansas, Kansas State, West Virginia and Tech I would beg, grovel, plead, etc. with all the FBS conferences to let them in. Then let the rest go to the FCS.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 12 Conference

Go with an 8-team playoff system. This is an easier sell than a 12 team playoff system. You could rotate an 8 team playoff thru NFL sites on the Central (Dallas, Detroit or Minneapolis) with the East (Atlanta, Charlotte or Miami) & West Coasts (Los Angeles, Phoenix or Las Vegas).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    How stable can it really be? That could largely be based on how big a TV contract the remains of the Big 12 can get and that likely will be a problem.
    More stable than doing nothing while everyone tries to get out? That's kind of my point. I just don't see another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    If I were OSU, Kansas, Kansas State, West Virginia and Tech I would beg, grovel, plead, etc. with all the FBS conferences to let them in. Then let the rest go to the FCS.
    Yeah, groveling will convince them. Not many situations in life where the groveling option is a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    The reality is that OU and Texas propped up the entire big12.

The other 8 teams have little value. The tv payouts will be much much less.
    I disagree and, honestly, I say this as a three time OU alum, a lot of OU fans have just looked like a-holes crapping on conference partners from a century. Many of the remaining Big 12 teams are good partners with good athletic programs. OSU, for example, has been consistently good at football and basketball and has had great success in several other sports. Kansas raises the basketball profile of the whole conference. I could go on, but the remaining Big 12 teams are just as good as Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt.

I disagree and, honestly, I say this as a three time OU alum, a lot of OU fans have just looked like a-holes crapping on conference partners from a century. Many of the remaining Big 12 teams are good partners with good athletic programs. OSU, for example, has been consistently good at football and basketball and has had great success in several other sports. Kansas raises the basketball profile of the whole conference. I could go on, but the remaining Big 12 teams are just as good as Ole Miss, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Vanderbilt.
    The thing is conference realignment isnt about how good an athletic program overall is. It is not about how many wrestling NC's or women's soccer NC's a school has. The bottom line is how big of a football audience do you have. How many people do you have who tune in game in and game out for football.

Yes some of the irate 8 have better programs than Ole Miss, MSU etc but the difference is those teams already have a seat at one of the 4 tables.

7. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

More stable than doing nothing while everyone tries to get out? That's kind of my point. I just don't see another option.

Yeah, groveling will convince them. Not many situations in life where the groveling option is a good plan.

Ok. I shouldn't have thrown grovel in there. But my point is still valid. The remaining good schools need to get out and find another home. Trying to keep a second rate conference together when money runs things isn't a viable long term option.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma State has a competitive program; they could knock off OU & Texas, go undefeated and win the championship game--you're in.

9. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Many of the remaining Big 12 teams are good partners with good athletic programs.
    I would be a good partner too If I were benefitting from 2 of the other partners accounting for 50% of my income.

10. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Oklahoma State has a competitive program; they could knock off OU & Texas, go undefeated and win the championship game--you're in.

Texas? UT is picked below OSU by most of the pundits I've read. ISU is clearly the 2nd best team in the Big 12 this year.

11. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Texas? UT is picked below OSU by most of the pundits I've read. ISU is clearly the 2nd best team in the Big 12 this year.
    ISU is good right now. But they don't have the name or the following. The Big 12 surviving in any form is about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I read yesterday that the WV rep to the playoff committee is now against the expanded play off format. He indicated that the proposal is on life support with PAC 12 and Big 10 also not in favor.

https://fansided.com/2021/08/26/coll...rt-gordon-gee/
    Yes, this is the most obvious way to punch OU, Texas and the SEC in the proverbial nuts. Would be a ball buster for them if The Playoff remains at four teams. Will be very difficult for OU and, especially, Texas to make the final four if they have to beat out clutch southern teams like Alabama and Vanderbilt.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    …Will be very difficult for OU and, especially, Texas to make the final four if they have to beat out clutch southern teams like Alabama and Vanderbilt.
    Lulz @ Vanderbilt.

Yes, this is the most obvious way to punch OU, Texas and the SEC in the proverbial nuts. Would be a ball buster for them if The Playoff remains at four teams. Will be very difficult for OU and, especially, Texas to make the final four if they have to beat out clutch southern teams like Alabama and Vanderbilt.
    From what I understand, everyone does really want an expanded playoff. Using this excitement and momentum, ESPN apparently was pushing hard for it to happen sooner than later so they can cash in on the expanded playoff coverage under their TV contract. Word is that the playoff committee is holding back now waiting for the current contract with ESPN to expire so they can field more lucrative dollar deals for playoff coverage, and will also let this conference realignment stuff cool off. The current TV contract with them expires 2025-26 which also coincides with the Sooners and Longhorns officially moving.

I heard this on a nationally syndicated radio show, can't remember who was talking.

Blog Entries

You just lost all credibility by adding Vanderbilt. Lol.

Limiting the playoff out of spite reduces total money to all teams. Classic cutting of the nose to spite the face. Would be stupid and petty.

I suggest Boise State and BYU. I think that part of the country is fast growing and underserved in sport viewing. Eyeball potential that will be better served by future infrastructure. By 2025 it might be seen as the new growth area. And the mountain time zone evening starts might be just early enough to keep the eastern time zone viewers (and talking heads).

I think UCF has a massive student body and would be a net positive (not vs OU or UT, but vs existing 8). Give them a non directional name and they would be much more legitimate right now.

I’m struggling between Houston and Cincinnati. Houston obviously gives reach in a top ten market, but I don’t think much beyond. And I have little usable knowledge of the south Ohio and north Kentucky area that Cincinnati would draw.

Blog Entries

Big 12 votes to accept adding BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UCF to conference: https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ucf-conference

small detail... that's the logo for byu idaho, not the byu invited by the b12.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    small detail... that's the logo for byu idaho, not the byu invited by the b12.
    Oops, My Badd:

Good observation, Martin!

Can't wait to see the Sooners destroy teams this coming season!

99 days until college football!!!!

https://www.si.com/fannation/college...gan-wolverines

Blog Entries

Softball Tournament will probably be played in OKC. This will give SEC schools a preview of USA Hall of Fame Stadium.

Baseball is experimenting with the MLB ballparks to give players that Major League Ballpark feel; attendance looks dismal in those huge palaces. There will be a tossup between Globe Life Field (Arlington), Minute Maid Park, Houston and Loan Depot Park, Miami--these parks have retractable roofs. Look for the SEC baseball to go back to the campuses or cities like Birmingham, Charlotte, Memphis, Nashville, Oklahoma City or Raleigh where the ballpark are in the 10,000 - 15,000 seat capacity range.

Wrestling SEC schools do not have wrestling except for Missouri, they compete in the Mid Atlantic Conference. Oklahoma & Missouri.

Gymnastics: Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas & Oklahoma will have gymnastics.
    Look for OKC Paycom Center to bid on tournaments & NCAA national events. University of Texas only has recreational and competitive gymnastics.

^^ Missouri wrestles in the Big 12 conference as an affiliate member.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    ^^ Missouri wrestles in the Big 12 conference as an affiliate member.
    Thanks for the update GoGators. Maybe Oklahoma can continue to wrestle as an affiliate member with Missouri when we move to the SEC.

TV viewership does not look good for the big12 after OU and texas leave.

Last weekend there were 4 conference games. Only 1 game featured 2 unranked teams.

OU vs Texas 3.4 million
    TCU vs Kansas 1.3 million
    OSU vs Tech 1.63
    KSU vs ISU 373k

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    TV viewership does not look good for the big12 after OU and texas leave.

Last weekend there were 4 conference games. Only 1 game featured 2 unranked teams.

OU vs Texas 3.4 million
    TCU vs Kansas 1.3 million
    OSU vs Tech 1.63
    KSU vs ISU 373k
    Those numbers aren't apples to apples comparisons. OU Texas was on network television while the other games were on FS1 and KSU ISU was on ESPNU.

A better comparison would be to see how these games faired in comparison to other games on the same Channel in the same time slot.

Week 5 2:30 game on FS1 Michigan State-Maryland 904,000
    Week 6 2:30 game on FS1 Texas Tech-Oklahoma State 1.63 million

Just looking at week 5 ratings tells you how many more viewers network broadcasts get:

OU-TCU (ABC) 2.4 million
    OSU-Baylor (Fox) 2.4 million
    Texas-WVU (FS1) 1.2 million

Thread Information