Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

The Baylors, TCUs and WVUs should be somewhat nervous about their prospects.

The OSUs and KUs likely find a Power 4 landing spot.

Saw an SI article that believes Ohio St., Michigan, Florida St and Clemson are also probing the SEC.

If that we're to actually happen 1. College Football is truly over and Semi-Pro has arrived 2. The Mississippi States of the SEC are just unreal lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    Why wouldn't the SEC want OSU? I am not a native okie so I am unbiased.

OSU ranks just as well as A&M and Mizzou sports-wise and they were allowed in. Heck they are better than Arkansas. I say let them join.
    academics are not good but the only actual important thing is that they don't bring TV eyes and they don't bring any tv markets ...

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    The Baylors, TCUs and WVUs should be somewhat nervous about their prospects.

The OSUs and KUs likely find a Power 4 landing spot.
    it is more likely that non of them get power 4 spots ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    academics are not good but the only actual important thing is that they don't bring TV eyes and they don't bring any tv markets ...
    I know this is getting off topic, but it's frustrating to continually see people parrot phrases like the "academics are not good" at schools which they know nothing about the academics. Most of the formulas used to rank universities are incredibly elitist and have almost nothing to do with "education." I've been always disgusted who rip on schools where educators and students are putting up hard work. People rely on simplistic and elitist formulas they don't understand to say simple statements like the "academics are not good." It's an uninformed, might I say uneducated, comment.

And, I'm not trying to pick on you, BoulderSooner, because a lot of people do it. I wish people would put a bit more thought into making statements like these. They're elitist and uninformed.

It's like how Nebraska was an AAU institution when they got accepted into the Big 10 but they lost that designation almost immediately after. Did Nebraska's academics become immediately worse in a single year? It's because the University of Nebraska’s medical school is at its Omaha campus, not the flagship campus in Lincoln and they primarily focus on agricultural research which isn't viewed as highly by the AAU.

Seems legit.

^

But like it or not the general perception very much matters.

There are reasons why some schools get tens of thousands of applicants for a very small amount of spots, and it generally comes from US News and other such ratings.

When the B1G talks about valuing academics, they are talking about AAU membership which is equally subjective but still very important to many people.

And in this particular discussion, conferences like the B1G and Pac very much care about perceptions and ratings, which is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

But like it or not the general perception very much matters.

There are reasons why some schools get tens of thousands of applicants for a very small amount of spots, and it generally comes from US News and other such ratings.

When the B1G talks about valuing academics, they are talking about AAU membership which is equally subjective but still very important to many people.

And in this particular discussion, conferences like the B1G and Pac very much care about perceptions and ratings, which is the point.
    The PAC was ready to let OU OSU and Tech enter the conference in 2011. So academic rankings weren't really a concern for the PAC then. Of course getting Texas may have made the thought of those 3 school's academic rankings more palatable at the time.

Mizzou alum here. When we made the move from the Big 12 to the SEC in 2011, a significant percentage of our alumni base (mostly in the St. Louis area) was not that keen on the SEC and were pining loudly for the Big 10, and we do have AAU membership. Now, nobody could really argue with a straight face that the SEC wasn't a great athletic option for us. The academic and cultural standards of the schools in the two conferences were more the point. People tend to associate big public schools rightly or wrongly with the other schools in their athletic conferences. Those are the peers. There was the feeling that Mizzou would be "elevated" more in national reputation by having an association with Michigan, Penn State and the like than Mississippi State, Arkansas, etc. Better quality students would apply for admission, better professors would be drawn in, etc etc.

Of course the larger group was really more drawn to where the better financial windfall would be. But I'm just saying that mentality is very much out there.

As an aside, with most of my family being OU grads and my brother being a UT alum, I would have been happy staying in the old Big 12 and am totally looking forward to playing OU and UT again (although we'll more often than not get our ass kicked).

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    The PAC was ready to let OU OSU and Tech enter the conference in 2011. So academic rankings weren't really a concern for the PAC then. Of course getting Texas may have made the thought of those 3 school's academic rankings more palatable at the time.
    It didn't happen so we don't know if they would have actually voted them in.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Looks like 14-0.

OU and Texas regents will approve on Friday, then the scramble begins as to when the change will take place and what will happen with the remaining Big 12 schools.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Big 12 Conference

A rather torrid week for two hot topics: Arena naming rights & OU-UT seeking membership in the SEC. Posters and Administrators have shared valuable information regarding both topics.

Naming rights, we jumped on the 'assumption train' which took us in many directions. Still we don't know if our responses on this forum impacted the naming rights decision. Who would have thought Paycom was a major player in naming rights

Our arena since entering the NBA has improved from a bare bones minimum structure $89 million to one that is taking shape with MAPS fund feeding. It hasn't morphed into a Taj Mahal, however the future appears bright for a 'fan friendly' well polished venue that will hold its own among NBA arenas on the lowest budget among all.

Our leadership are good downtown arena stewards considering the phrases of renovations since opening in 2002 and voter approved MAPS extensions to bring the arena up to NBA standards as a condition to keep the Thunder (Supersonics) in OKC long term.

OU & UT's quest for the SEC is one that have baffled many of us from the start. What a weird combination of 'strange bedfellows' to continue to co-exist since the Big 8 & Southwest conferences were formed under one umbrella.

OU-UT continues to work in tandem as two of the more focal universities of each state seem to have each others backs in a swimming contest knowing that the best outcome is to keep each other afloat.

14. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Looks like 14-0.

OU and Texas regents will approve on Friday, then the scramble begins as to when the change will take place and what will happen with the remaining Big 12 schools.
    I agree with you in that it happens sooner rather than later. Like just about everything else, this is mostly about money. And the sooner this happens - even with buyout involved - the more money for everyone...everyone not left in the Big 12, that is.

I'm guessing fall of 2022 after OU and UT enjoy a farewell tour amid a torrent of boos, tortillas and turkey legs. Better keep the helmets on, even on the sidelines!

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    A rather torrid week for two hot topics: Arena naming rights & OU-UT seeking membership in the SEC. Posters and Administrators have shared valuable information regarding both topics.

Naming rights, we jumped on the 'assumption train' which took us in many directions. Still we don't know if our responses on this forum impacted the naming rights decision. Who would have thought Paycom was a major player in naming rights

Our arena since entering the NBA has improved from a bare bones minimum structure $89 million to one that is taking shape with MAPS fund feeding. It hasn't morphed into a Taj Mahal, however the future appears bright for a 'fan friendly' well polished venue that will hold its own among NBA arenas on the lowest budget among all.

Our leadership are good downtown arena stewards considering the phrases of renovations since opening in 2002 and voter approved MAPS extensions to bring the arena up to NBA standards as a condition to keep the Thunder (Supersonics) in OKC long term.

OU & UT's quest for the SEC is one that have baffled many of us from the start. What a weird combination of 'strange bedfellows' to continue to co-exist since the Big 8 & Southwest conferences were formed under one umbrella.

OU-UT continues to work in tandem as two of the more focal universities of each state seem to have each others backs in a swimming contest knowing that the best outcome is to keep each other afloat.
    Ummm. Everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I agree with you in that it happens sooner rather than later. Like just about everything else, this is mostly about money. And the sooner this happens - even with buyout involved - the more money for everyone...everyone not left in the Big 12, that is.

I'm guessing fall of 2022 after OU and UT enjoy a farewell tour amid a torrent of boos, tortillas and turkey legs. Better keep the helmets on, even on the sidelines!
    I bet we'll already be playing in the SEC by then. Farewell tour kicks off in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Saw an SI article that believes Ohio St., Michigan, Florida St and Clemson are also probing the SEC.

If that we're to actually happen 1. College Football is truly over and Semi-Pro has arrived 2. The Mississippi States of the SEC are just unreal lucky.
    What a joke. Neither Ohio State nor Michigan are South or East. This whole thing is a mess, or starting to be one.

As for your second tidbit, college football has become a professional sport. It became that way when athletes were ruled eligible for financial incentives through deals and whatnot.

This will hurt the NFL. If I were NFL owners I would be pretty concerned about the long term future. Nick Saban said that some of his players will be millionaires by the time they finish their college career. If you had enough money to live off of for the rest of your life at 23, would you continue to play such a dangerous sport such as football at the next level? I don't think a few will. I'm sure there will be a few, but I'm guessing we will see a lot decide to take their life in another direction.

What a joke. Neither Ohio State nor Michigan are South or East. This whole thing is a mess, or starting to be one.

As for your second tidbit, college football has become a professional sport. It became that way when athletes were ruled eligible for financial incentives through deals and whatnot.

This will hurt the NFL. If I were NFL owners I would be pretty concerned about the long term future. Nick Saban said that some of his players will be millionaires by the time they finish their college career. If you had enough money to live off of for the rest of your life at 23, would you continue to play such a dangerous sport such as football at the next level? I don't think a few will. I'm sure there will be a few, but I'm guessing we will see a lot decide to take their life in another direction.
    Well, I thought that too, but you've got Kyler Murray in the NFL. Also, you can burn through $5,000,000 pretty quickly, especially when you're young, so most of these players who do that will likely need to get contracts.

Also, many people play to compete.

Blog Entries

IDGAF about much of this when it gets right down to it, but there's a whole thread on this board about how OK is not in the South but here we go full speed into the SEC............

20. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I bet we'll already be playing in the SEC by then. Farewell tour kicks off in a month.
    Oh, man…that’s totally what I meant. Sorry it was unclear in the writing. Exactly. Fall ‘22 in the SEC. Farewell tour is this season. Buckle up.

Looks like 14-0.

Now The Bix XII commish is claiming ESPN enticed OU & UT to jump ship, and is conspiring with the AAC to lure several other BXII schools to leave.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...om-conference/

Stillwater area legislators call Oklahoma decision to leave Big 12 troublesome and 'entirely self-serving'.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/...nt=read%20more

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Stillwater area legislators call Oklahoma decision to leave Big 12 troublesome and 'entirely self-serving'.

Well…yeah that’s kinda the point, right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post

Self serving vs. best interests--what is the difference...

I just can't wait to see the looks on other SEC teams faces when they realize that it's not that OU is going to lose 4 games a year in the SEC, it's just that they're going to actually have competition winning a conference title.

On an SEC level I think LSU and Auburn are going to be the big losers here. They will struggle to maintain the national prominence they had now that Texas and OU are in the picture. I think most years it will be OU, UTx, Bama, UGA, and UF vying for top honors. And 3 of those teams will probably eat up 4 playoff births every year.

Obviously things fluctuate and I'm not saying LSU is going to become Arkansas, just think they and Auburn will see substantially less10 win seasons.

Thread Information