Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    oh, for sure... assuming that these teams are added, there's probably going to be some resentment from both sides going forward. it's also not impossible that the pac-12 remains content with the members they have... but i have to think that there's going to be a scramble for the other power conferences to try to get to 16 over the fear that they're going to be left in the dust.
    At this point, baring mergers betweeen conferences, I would almost be shocked if that isn’t where we ended up.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/shrum-...e-of-oklahoma/

OSU needs to stop acting like Texas A&M and focus on their own future. After their first shaming over the weekend I as like, okay, their feelings are hurt, she's new and needs to show the Cowboy faithful she's got their backs. But after this second one today. . . They are embarrassing themselves with this shaming and this tantrum is further feeding into the "little brother" to OU culture they work hard at trying to shake. Did they expect OU to call them up and just say, "hey, we're thinking about moving to the SEC - we just wanted to let you know." OSU has really done a fine job building themselves into a fine football team, but let's face it they are not one of the big boys. It is what it is. I mean they’re a nice program, and they can find a home they can compete and continue to grow.

A friend of mine and I were talking over the weekend about the tie with Texas. Really, the Sooners have been married to the Longhorns since 1900 with the first game being four or five seasons before the inception of Bedlam. They have become powerhouses over the life of the rivalry and this rivalry extended yearly even though they were never in the same conference until 1996. These two big dogs were behind the formation of the BigXII that year. During the last conference realignment, from what I remember, OU was the only institution that didn't remark negatively about Texas wanting it's own network, meanwhile, although not to the degree of the Aggies, the rest of the conference were vocally unhappy with it. But really, OU and Texas have very much been in-cahoots forever. So this shaming coming from OSU top brass about running away with the Longhorns is just stupid. Not trying to diminish the Bedlam rivalry, just pointing out the OU/TX relationship. This is a business deal.

I hope OSU can focus on their task ahead of them and put themselves in a position to thrive further.

I am borderline ashamed at the response of OSU's new President. She is behaving like a little brother/sister. Instead of expressing regret and moving on an aggressive path towards stability, she bemoans OU's decision as if they owe OSU something. What is this supposed Oklahoma allegiance? Maybe she should focus more on improving OSU's academic standing (OU should do the same as 133rd is also extremely disappointing to me as a Alum), but wrt Football OSU's new President is not reflecting the kind of leadership I would expect when admittedly faced with a difficult problem

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    I am borderline ashamed at the response of OSU's new President. She is behaving like a little brother/sister. Instead of expressing regret and moving on an aggressive path towards stability, she bemoans OU's decision as if they owe OSU something. What is this supposed Oklahoma allegiance? Maybe she should focus more on improving OSU's academic standing (OU should do the same as 133rd is also extremely disappointing to me as a Alum), but wrt Football OSU's new President is not reflecting the kind of leadership I would expect when admittedly faced with a difficult problem
    In all fairness, it’s a little brother university and always will be.

I hope OSU can land in either in the B1G or PAC 12. That would be wild to have Saturday home games in Stillwater vs UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, etc

6. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

I would have to think OSU would generate far more sports revenue than U of Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    When I saw the statement...I turned to my wife and actually said....they sound like the little brother.

I'm with you all. I was feeling bad about OSU over the weekend, but the response from this new president is pathetic. I really had hoped that OSU would land in another P5(4) conference, but now, good luck in the Mountain West for all I care.

The thing is OSU should be proud of where they are. IMO they are the 3rd best program easily, and should start acting like it. I think there is a good chance they are on more conference radar's than they believe and need to start acting like the commodity they are. They are much better prepared for this than they would have been 15 years ago, and that's a good thing.

Lots of chatter that OU & Texas may submit their letter of withdrawal to the Big 12 today.

The SEC presidents are meeting on Thursday and it's expected they will vote to approve both schools, with the only negative vote coming from A&M.

OU just sent out notice of a board of regents meeting on July 30 to discuss conference membership

https://twitter.com/nuriamkeel/statu...189854724?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    OU just sent out notice of a board of regents meeting on July 30 to discuss conference membership

https://twitter.com/nuriamkeel/statu...189854724?s=21
    That would fit with the timing:

Letter to Big 12 notifying the intent to withdraw, possibly today
    SEC presidents vote to approve admission on Thursday
    OU Board of Regents accept on Friday

Just food for thought, as to when OU and Texas may play in the SEC, remember both Missouri and Texas A&M both announced in 2011 that they were leaving the Big 12 for the SEC. They both played in the SEC in 2012.

There are still a lot of variables, but it is possible that OU and Texas could be playing in the SEC in 2022

^

It seems the new arrangement starting in the fall of 2022 is the most likely outcome.

I'm still having a hard time getting my mind around all this. It's absolutely the right move for OU but everything is going to change very quickly.

This is a great analysis of TV viewership and revenue in the Big 12:

https://archive.ph/sx2ZY

The crux:

Games with OU averaged 3.76 million viewers
    Games with Texas averaged 3.2 million viewers
    The rest of the Big 12 games averaged .87 million viewers

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That would fit with the timing:

Letter to Big 12 notifying the intent to withdraw, possibly today
    SEC presidents vote to approve admission on Thursday
    OU Board of Regents accept on Friday
    intent to withdraw was yesterday .. (not continuing the media deal with the conf past the expiration)

reportedly OU and UT will apply for SEC membership today ..

Thursday the SEC accepts OU and Texas

Friday BOR's approve ..

Looks like 2025 is the target date

https://twitter.com/sec/status/1420030640368627712?s=21

17. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

That's if they wait for the TV contracts to expire. Highly likely that they will be playing in 2022.

only because of contracts they can't say any date before that ..

after the sec accepts on thursday and the BOR approves on friday the Lawyers will start with the negotiations and it is widely expected that OU and UT will be playing in the SEC no later than 2023 and quite possibly next season(2022) ..

They are saying 2025 because that is when the current contracts with the Big 12 expire. But there are buyouts OU & Texas can exercise and they likely will because they can more than offset with the increased revenues the SEC will bring.

Missouri and A&M both moved to the SEC a year after notifying.

the thing i'm curious about, is what happens to these buyout clauses if the big xii folds? i'm wondering if ou and ut are aiming to be free from paying the penalty because there won't be a big xii entity left to make the payment to.

21. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They are saying 2025 because that is when the current contracts with the Big 12 expire. But there are buyouts OU & Texas can exercise and they likely will because they can more than offset with the increased revenues the SEC will bring.

Missouri and A&M both moved to the SEC a year after notifying.
    I doubt there will be any buyouts because the other 8 schools will be scrambling to get into a Power 4 conference and the Big 12 will disband.

the thing i'm curious about, is what happens to these buyout clauses if the big xii folds? i'm wondering if ou and ut are aiming to be free from paying the penalty because there won't be a big xii entity left to make the payment to.
    That is one scenario.

Regardless, OU & Texas can easily buy their way out with the new SEC money, and that pot is only going to grow -- maybe substantially -- with this move.

the two scenarios i am hearing, this as potential option 1... and that ESPN wants to get OU and Texas in the SEC and on ESPN exclusively. so no matter the buyout for both schools, expect a generous donation by the mouse, to get it done if it's needed.

^

ESPN is desperate to get out of the Longhorn Network which has been a huge bust, and that network is suddenly hurting.

Like everything else surrounding this, things are going to move quickly.

Blog Entries

Good observation, Martin. This was one of the questions I wanted to ask.

Thread Information