Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Big 12 Conference

Default Re: Big 12 Conference

This is undoubtedly a great move for OU, but it’s also destined to be a huge distraction all season. The road environments are going to be hostile to say the least…especially Bedlam.

2. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    This is undoubtedly a great move for OU, but it’s also destined to be a huge distraction all season. The road environments are going to be hostile to say the least…especially Bedlam.
    I've never been to a Bedlam that wasn't hostile. I went as a student a long time ago to see friends at OSU to watch the game. Got spit on by a drunk fan. It was pleasant.

Hell based on the way the last few seasons have gone...that might actually be a good thing. May give OU the extra motivation not to get randomly smacked by KSU at 11 AM.

At any rate, it will be a good primer for the SEC. The only environment that might be less hostile than usual...The Cotton Bowl and State Fair of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I've never been to a Bedlam that wasn't hostile. I went as a student a long time ago to see friends at OSU to watch the game. Got spit on by a drunk fan. It was pleasant.
    The only time I was ever pelted with golf balls in the OSU band was sitting in the stands in Norman during bedlam (Always fun having to get dents repaired in your tuba because of stupid fans). Schools definitely need to do a better job controlling their crowds, and the OSU crowd has gotten increasingly hostile in recent years. When I was younger Stillwater had a rep for being welcoming and classy for visiting teams, and I don't hear the same anymore.

5. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Question for all the OU fans out there (I am one, by the way): After OU joins the SEC, how long after will it take for you to chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" after a win against a non-conference opponent? As an OU fan for the entire 42 years of my life, I don't think I ever will.
    Never

Interesting picture I saw floating around. Not official, but does show how teams could realign if the Big 12 goes kablooie

Pac-12 would 100% add TCU over Baylor

That's seems to be a feasible 4 super conference solution instituting the Pod scenario.

9. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    The only time I was ever pelted with golf balls in the OSU band was sitting in the stands in Norman during bedlam (Always fun having to get dents repaired in your tuba because of stupid fans). Schools definitely need to do a better job controlling their crowds, and the OSU crowd has gotten increasingly hostile in recent years. When I was younger Stillwater had a rep for being welcoming and classy for visiting teams, and I don't hear the same anymore.
    I should mention that there are plenty of hostile OU fans. I call out those drunk fans to calm down. It’s a damn game people… grow up.

And as a side note I have been plenty of times to Stillwater and love the campus and people. Beautiful campus

I think ultimately KSU is the most likely to get left out. Followed by Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I should mention that there are plenty of hostile OU fans. I call out those drunk fans to calm down. It’s a damn game people… grow up.

And as a side note I have been plenty of times to Stillwater and love the campus and people. Beautiful campus
    If you think OU and OSU fans are hostile...buckle up lol.

they wouldn't add either ..

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    If you think OU and OSU fans are hostile...buckle up lol.
    really only UF has bad fans in the SEC

the terrible LSU bowl experience in 2003 was NOLA people not really LSU people ... (i have been to many lsu home games traveling with SEC fan relatives (auburn))

14. Default Re: Big 12 Conference

No way a conference doesn't try to pick up TCU based if only because it's in the metroplex. KState I think is in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    really only UF has bad fans in the SEC

the terrible LSU bowl experience in 2003 was NOLA people not really LSU people ... (i have been to many lsu home games traveling with SEC fan relatives (auburn))
    Ha, I'd argue the ones in the stadium were definitely LSU people and they sucked equally as much as those outside.

they wouldn't add either ..
    I think they'd take TCU but probably not Baylor. Though if all hell breaks loose, I think they could be pushed into taking both.

Baylor has been competing for the Big 12 championship in football year in and year out for the last decade, has been to New Years 6/BCS bowls, had a Heisman winner, just won the NCAA tournament in basketball, have a new football stadium and nice facilities. I think discounting them because they are a religious based private school given what is about to happen to the college athletics landscape is shortsighted.

Conferences that normally wouldn't look at certain schools will consider them now that the SEC is becoming an even bigger monster and the NCAA continues to weaken.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the ACC, Pac and B1G all try to get to 16 teams, which the SEC will soon have themselves.

This is probably the biggest bomb ever dropped in conference realignment. The fallout will send ripples everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Question for all the OU fans out there (I am one, by the way): After OU joins the SEC, how long after will it take for you to chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" after a win against a non-conference opponent? As an OU fan for the entire 42 years of my life, I don't think I ever will.
    as a way of joking... i was doing all weekend long at a friends house because it kept making him mad. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Conferences that normally wouldn't look at certain schools will consider them now that the SEC is becoming an even bigger monster and the NCAA continues to weaken.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the ACC, Pac and B1G all try to get to 16 teams, which the SEC will soon have themselves.

This is probably the biggest bomb ever dropped in conference realignment. The fallout will send ripples everywhere.
    already reported that the BIG will only look at AAU schools ..

and the PAC is very unlikely to look a religious affiliated schools . other than that everything else is on the table ..

and the PAC is very unlikely to look a religious affiliated schools . other than that everything else is on the table ..
    But times are quickly changing and everyone is going to be scrambling.

It seems a lot of those unwritten rules will go out the window, just like the SEC semi-promising A&M veto power.

and the PAC is very unlikely to look a religious affiliated schools.
    in addition to what pete said... i've heard the line repeated multiple times about the pac-12 being averse to religious schools... it seems that they get that reputation mostly from overlooking byu. i have to wonder if the issue is less with religious affiliation and more with the fact that byu will not schedule athletic events on sundays. as far as i know, neither baylor nor tcu have those restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    in addition to what pete said... i've heard the line repeated multiple times about the pac-12 being averse to religious schools... it seems that they get that reputation mostly from overlooking byu. i have to wonder if the issue is less with religious affiliation and more with the fact that byu will not schedule athletic events on sundays. as far as i know, neither baylor nor tcu have those restrictions.
    Think about the culture clash of the existing Pac-12 and even a place like Texas Tech.

Pac schools are incredibly liberal and pride themselves on that. Doesn't mix with West Texas or Stillwater, OK.

And Pac academics are generally awesome. Baylor and TCU are pretty good but the land-grant schools are in a completely different category.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Think about the culture clash of the existing Pac-12 and even a place like Texas Tech.

Pac schools are incredibly liberal and pride themselves on that. Doesn't mix with West Texas or Stillwater, OK.

And Pac academics are generally awesome. Baylor and TCU are pretty good but the land-grant schools are in a completely different category.
    oh, for sure... assuming that these teams are added, there's probably going to be some resentment from both sides going forward. it's also not impossible that the pac-12 remains content with the members they have... but i have to think that there's going to be a scramble for the other power conferences to try to get to 16 over the fear that they're going to be left in the dust.

One guy with ESPN said a source reported that. Sources have also reported that the B1G has interest in OSU. I wouldn’t trust anyone that says they know anything for certain right now. What conferences have previously done isn’t going to matter by the end of the week.

The Pac may still take some Big 12 schools, but it would be a very awkward arrangement, at best.

Still, it might be the best option for all involved.

Thread Information