Widgets Magazine

Thread: Interior concrete stained floors

Default Interior concrete stained floors

My wife and I are considering updating the bedrooms in our house and are considering getting rid of the carpet and replacing it with concrete stained floors. Just wondering if anyone has them in their house and what you thought of them and who you used to do the work.

Default Re: Interior concrete stained floors

Had them once (Jeff Click House, not sure about the sub) and they are a PITA if the color starts to chip off. I wouldn’t say they are maintenance free.

We eventually laid tile before moving to Wheeler.

Blog Entries

Had them in a large den a few years ago. Made it a very loud room. We then had hardwood put in and it actually softened the echoing noise quite a bit. I thought they looked cool, but I wouldn’t do it again.

There are floor tiles made by a company, I believe the name is Concreate, which is light weight concrete that would be much nicer looking and not as hard. Can get it in different concrete tones and finishes. They do concrete looking cladding for interior and exterior walls too..... geared mostly to commercial applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman23 View Post
    My wife and I are considering updating the bedrooms in our house and are considering getting rid of the carpet and replacing it with concrete stained floors. Just wondering if anyone has them in their house and what you thought of them and who you used to do the work.
    We have them in the kitchen and front formal areas. I have had up to three danes here (down to one now) and they have held up well. We refinish the sealer about every other year to keep nice gloss but have had no issue with the color at all. Very easy to do and takes less than a day. Pro...very durable and looks nice.
    Low maintenance. Very easy to clean. Con...if you drop something....it will break, doesn't feel as nice on your bare feet. I like mine but wouldn't have in my bedroom. (I have carpet, concrete, wood and marble floors in my house so have a good comparison)

We did just that and about three years later ended up spending the money and doing new carpet in the bedrooms and actual wood floors in the common areas and halls. The concrete really changed the overall dynamic of the home from appearance to the sound. We would not do it again.

Thread Information