Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Northwest corner of NW 178th and N May

Default Re: Starbucks, 7 Eleven, Taco Bell, and more coming to 178th and May

The "Available" sign is gone from the section that may be a grocery store and there is machinery out there leveling that ground.

Does anyone know if something has been finalized?

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    The "Available" sign is gone from the section that may be a grocery store and there is machinery out there leveling that ground.

Does anyone know if something has been finalized?
    "Tell me you are putting in a Walmart, without telling me you are putting in a Walmart"

Given how the other two confirmed businesses, Starbucks and Taco Bell, are easily advertised in the parcel listing and the "mystery" store remains under contract without advertising the business, it almost seems certain that it would be a Walmart NM, but keeping quiet to avoid the "NIMBY's" from Rose Creek, Valencia, and Grove.

Do we have any idea what the grocery store is yet?

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    Do we have any idea what the grocery store is yet?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	244663928_735260774538842_9171324875290879994_n.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	17137

This gives a better view of what is anticipated on that corner. The grocery store is listed around 30k sq ft as parcel F. I think if it was something else besides a Walmart Neighborhood Market, it would have been announced.

The new Homeland at NE36th and Lincoln is around 30k square feet, but I think they would have announced if they were coming to this side of OKC.

Crest and Winco are out as 30k is too small for their model. Pruett's/Uptown doesn't seem likely either.

What about Sprouts?

My strong impression is that grocery store is just conceptual.

9 times out of 10 developers just put renderings together to market to the type of tenants they want.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	244663928_735260774538842_9171324875290879994_n.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	17137

This gives a better view of what is anticipated on that corner. The grocery store is listed around 30k sq ft as parcel F. I think if it was something else besides a Walmart Neighborhood Market, it would have been announced.

The new Homeland at NE36th and Lincoln is around 30k square feet, but I think they would have announced if they were coming to this side of OKC.

Crest and Winco are out as 30k is too small for their model. Pruett's/Uptown doesn't seem likely either.

What about Fresh Market?! They have a location in Tulsa and I think this would fit there demographic and business model!

Drove past today, after clearing the land and sitting still the past few months, dirt is finally moving on the corner and it appears the crew is working on the Taco Bell lot location first.

Today, it looks like the corner lot that is reported to be a 7-11 has major dirt work going on. Judging from the size of the piles of dirt and what little I could see inside the lot, they are digging the holes for the gas tanks.

On a related note, in the strip mall at NW 178th & Penn, the Mexican style chicken place is being replaced by a taqueria called "The Chosen Juan". They appear to have a food truck here in the metro.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by corwin1968 View Post
    On a related note, in the strip mall at NW 178th & Penn, the Mexican style chicken place is being replaced by a taqueria called "The Chosen Juan". They appear to have a food truck here in the metro.
    That’s pretty funny!

Someone on the local Facebook page, who is somehow involved in the Taco Bell on the corner, said the plans he saw indicate a Neighborhood Market for this corner. From the sound of his post, he bid on more than one project there, and indicated he hadn't seen an overall plan, just individual plans submitted for bids, so that sounds pretty definitive for WM on the corner. Not my first choice, but if it's like the one across from Casady school, it will mitigate my disappoint quite a bit. If it's like the one at NW 164th & Western....

Why would Wally World put another NM two miles away from another location? Maybe just because they can? Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    Why would Wally World put another NM two miles away from another location? Maybe just because they can? Very interesting.
    Splitting hairs here, but technically three miles to the one at 164th and Western from 178th and May.
    Why another walmart NM? The density can support it. Nearly every developed piece of land between these two walmarts is housing. This grocery store, despite being a walmart, will do well. It will also probably pull as far west as Piedmont and north outside of city limits.

Maybe the best news about a walmart Neighborhood Market being placed on this corner of 178th and May is that it would be unlikely that a walmart Supercenter would be built less than a mile west at the newly approved big box Portland Power Center at 178th and Portland.

Pete, thanks for the drone shot. Really gives scope to how large this area is and how it backs up completely to The Grove housing, compared to just driving by it.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Maybe the best news about a walmart Neighborhood Market being placed on this corner of 178th and May is that it would be unlikely that a walmart Supercenter would be built less than a mile west at the newly approved big box Portland Power Center at 178th and Portland.
    Remember, Walmart is planning a Super Center on the NE corner of Memorial and Rockwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That space still doesn't look big enough for a Neighborhood Market, to me.

A Trader Joes would fit and it would kill it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Amen to that. We make the drive down to Nichols Hills Plaza about every three or four weeks since we live so far north, but would frequent one at this location probably weekly if not more. I love TJs.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I know it's amazing to think there is a large segment of the OKC population that buys groceries outside of a corporation based in Northwest Arkansas.

I would love a TJ's, Sprouts, or Whole Foods further north. While this is on the edge of city limits, hoping something would pop in eventually at Chisholm Creek.

Also bummed that Winco didn't follow through on the location south of Penn/Memorial.

The grocery store will be a completely new concept:

Jack Be Grocery

Sprouts in the area would be good. Also anyone hear of Aldi's planning any stores in the area. The one on Kelly in Edmond is packed sometimes that there are no parking spaces. last week did a insta cart pickup and half the pickup space had people parking in them, getting out with their own bags and walking into the store. I would guess that both would do well and take some of the pressure of the Edmond stores.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Sprouts in the area would be good. Also anyone hear of Aldi's planning any stores in the area. The one on Kelly in Edmond is packed sometimes that there are no parking spaces. last week did a insta cart pickup and half the pickup space had people parking in them, getting out with their own bags and walking into the store. I would guess that both would do well and take some of the pressure of the Edmond stores.
    Aldi would benefit with two more stores north of Memorial to serve Edmond and NWOKC. Ideally one near Portland/178th and another near 15th/I-35, this would split the current share of the Kelly Aldi from serving 100,000+ people, to each one serving about 35k.

With the development of the Homeland and now Jack Be Grocercies, I think you will see more stores build this direction. The density and average household income will drive it.

I think you are correct that two in those locations would be good. One does need to understand that not just north Okc and Edmond residents shop that store but you get folks from Luther, Wellston, Guthrie and the areas around them. Limited shopping options in Guthrie, nothing really in Luther or Wellston. So basically one gets folks from a huge area that shop Edmond/North Okc. The area east of I 35 is growing fast. Another 1000 + lots before the planning commission this week. That translates to lots of new shoppers.

Three huge fuel tanks were onsite at the 7-11 location, today. That was the first time I've seen what underground tanks for gas stations look like.

The walls started going up on the Starbucks, yesterday.

Thread Information