Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

Blog Entries

Default Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

Mega Center for Oklahoma Driver's License & Real ID to open soon.

The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety this month will open the first of two driver's license "mega centers" to help address the state's backlog of residents seeking to renew their licenses and obtain a REAL ID.

The facility will open July 26 in the old Oklahoma Health Department building at 1000 NE 10 in Oklahoma City.

Only Oklahomans that already have an in-state license will be able to obtain a REAL ID or renew their driver's license at the mega center.

Teenagers looking to obtain their first driver's license and people with out-of-state licenses who are trying to get an Oklahoma ID will have to visit a Department of Public Safety location:

You can also contact a local tag agency to get scheduled to renew some of these services. Make sure you contact the local tag agency and tell them what you want to do to see if they can serve you. If your license or ID has expired, please let them know.

The current Oklahoma State Health Department is located at 123 Robert S Kerr Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK 73102 in the Oklahoma Commons Building formerly known as Sandridge Center/aka--old Kerr McGee Tower.

Default Re: Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

More info can be found on the state's RealID site here: https://www.realid.ok.gov/

Blog Entries

As a reminder the megacenter opened up today

People do understand you can go to any Tag Agency and get this done. So these small towns outside the metro don't have long wait times. That's what I did, lol.

Went to Shawnee, took me like 30 mins to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    People do understand you can go to any Tag Agency and get this done. So these small towns outside the metro don't have long wait times. That's what I did, lol.

Has that changed? Either way certainly not everyone in the metro wants to drive out to a small town, and last I looked/heard in the metro wait times for a Real ID appt were weeks if not months in advance and competitive to get.

They should have opened something like this 6 months ago. It took a wait time of 2 months when I registered for real Id back in January.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post

Before I lucked out and got an appointment in Edmond I took this advice and took a few days off. Day one I hit Yukon, El Reno and Kingfisher. Day two I hit Edmond, Guthrie, Crescent and Langston. Day three I hit Harrah, Newalla, Choctaw and Shawnee. Couldn't get in anywhere.

Does anyone have personal experience with how well/ quickly the megacenter is working?

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDub2 View Post
    Does anyone have personal experience with how well/ quickly the megacenter is working?
    i went about 4 weeks ago on a Monday morning. arrived at the open and was about 20th in line. It took me about 20 min total in and out and i received my DL in the mail in less then 2 weeks.

(this was for a regular DL renewal)

Blog Entries

My gf realized her license expired a couple days after it did and she needed to do something at the bank that required valid ID, so we went that night on a whim. Arrived around 8, were there until 10:30 (they close at 10 but will stay late if close to being done). I asked one of the guards and ~2-3 hrs seems to be the typical timing, though this was like 9/2 or something and they said that it's worse at the end of the month toward. All of this being said, she was ONLY renewing an old-style license (which changed formats since last year). Of note, you can request an EIGHT (8) YEAR expiration date, which was surprising to me. I guess they're figuring the pandemic could still be happening in four years but hopefully not 8.

Took me an hour and a half for a real ID renewal on a Monday afternoon.

My wife and I went in last Tuesday night at about 9PM, there was nobody else there, got right in and the whole process took roughly 10-15 minutes.

Blog Entries

wow, nice, sounds like we had the worst timing compared to others

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

Did any one know any more about this? Is DPS replacing the entire system? They just rolled the current system out right before covid.
    http://https://kfor.com/news/local/n...g-to-oklahoma/

Quote Originally Posted by artynok View Post
    Did any one know any more about this? Is DPS replacing the entire system? They just rolled the current system out right before covid.
    Link doesn't work

HangryHippo Guest

When you try the link, add a colon after https and it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by artynok View Post
    DPS was very antiquated. They still kept a paper docketing system when they were doing statewide drivers license hearings.

Service Oklahoma is a complete mess and needs to do something. The State created and switched over to Service Oklahoma without having processes in place and was done very haphazardly. DPS dumped most of their responsibilities on the new agency including representing the state on DUI revocations which DPS legal used to do. We routinely get in notice of revocations months after they are issued meaning drivers are going under revocation without them being aware of it or being afforded due process. We got two in this week that were dated March 2023. This is despite us calling monthly to see if anything has been issued.

For the general public, getting someone on the phone and/or getting help is basically impossible as they are so short handed.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma Department of Public Safety.

The article really doesn't say anything of substance except that Service Oklahoma hopes to have a new system vendor chosen by the first of the year and to have a new system in 12 to 18 months.

Typically, anything computer related for the state is usually the domain of OMES. I imagine OMES is involved someway with the vendor selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    We routinely get in notice of revocations months after they are issued meaning drivers are going under revocation without them being aware of it or being afforded due process. We got two in this week that were dated March 2023. This is despite us calling monthly to see if anything has been issued..
    this is a little off topic .. but I find it interesting ..

in these cases are you able to do anything for your clients? it seems like this is a massive abuse of their rights?

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    this is a little off topic .. but I find it interesting ..

in these cases are you able to do anything for your clients? it seems like this is a massive abuse of their rights?
    Yes. we immediately file in District Court and the revocation is usually set aside for improper notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Yes. we immediately file in District Court and the revocation is usually set aside for improper notice.
    thanks jeepnokc .. i figured as much .. i know yall are the best at what you do...

Thread Information