Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

Default Re: 2nd & Coltrane NW corner

I'm sure it's somewhere on here, but I remember seeing that the Spring Creek trail is supposed to be extended eventually and tie into Hafer park. Could very easily split off and run up Coltrane. There is sidewalk already in place for *most* of the section between where the creek crosses under Coltrane and the location of the park. Or you could run the trail up along the I35 frontage road and tie into the sidewalks that are already in place for *most* of 2nd street between the highway and Coltrane

2. Default Re: 2nd & Coltrane NW corner

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    Anyone know a rough timeline on this?
    Asked today and was told ~2 years

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Forgot to give an update. At CNU I spoke extensively to the city of edmond bike planner and they DO intend to extend the spring creek trail (might be called something else) up to and through this park, long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    I'm sure it's somewhere on here, but I remember seeing that the Spring Creek trail is supposed to be extended eventually and tie into Hafer park. Could very easily split off and run up Coltrane. There is sidewalk already in place for *most* of the section between where the creek crosses under Coltrane and the location of the park. Or you could run the trail up along the I35 frontage road and tie into the sidewalks that are already in place for *most* of 2nd street between the highway and Coltrane
    The city posted about receiving funding or a grant to extend the spring creek trail west from fox lake to coltrane. One more mile west would get it to Hafer Park. Once that happens they are able to connect Fink Park. And maybe theres already a trail connecting Mitch Park to Fink, so that would link them all up, A simple path up Coltrane to this new park would be pretty easy I'd think. Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately these trails will be closed to me I dont ride bikes and really not into walking with bad knees. I want to ride them or drive a cart like a road cart ie two wheel cart. When one does not want to haul ie getting too old for that and wants to just go out there front gate, what is one to do? The roads are gettign way too busy to walk/ride or drive on them. I moved to where I am so that I could do that.

6. Default Re: 2nd & Coltrane NW corner

Very happy to see more of this project. What a great use of that land.

It looks very similar to Scissortail Park.

Always loved that lot. Glad to see it’s going to be something like this instead of another cookie cutter neighborhood that clear cuts all the trees.

Starting with the mature trees already in place is going to be huge.

What was the building labelled "Park Offices", looks to have been pre-existing? Also would be cool if the adjacent neighborhood gets to have access from their backyards.

Has there been names suggested for this new park?

13. Default Re: 2nd & Coltrane NW corner

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I have seen "Route 66 Sculpture Park"

14. Default Re: 2nd & Coltrane NW corner

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    It will be called Uncommon Ground

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    It will be called Uncommon Ground
    that name just isn't sitting well with me, I just think coffee shop.

17. Default Re: 2nd & Coltrane NW corner

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    that name just isn't sitting well with me, I just think coffee shop.
    One of the first Seattle-style (for lack of a better term) coffee shops was called Uncommon Grounds. Opened in very early entertainment-district Bricktown circa '89 or '90 and lasted until (I think) the late aughts, until the landlord tried to double or triple their rent. It was a cozy spot; the kind of place Bricktown needs more not less of.

18. Default Re: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

Default Re: Uncommon Ground Park (2nd & Coltrane)

Great renderings! Looks well executed! I think Edmond needs to attract more major business, most specifically corporate headquarters from outside the State. Edmond has been a bedroom community for way to long. Time to step up for long term sustainability!

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    Great renderings! Looks well executed! I think Edmond needs to attract more major business, most specifically corporate headquarters from outside the State. Edmond has been a bedroom community for way to long. Time to step up for long term sustainability!
    They are too NIMBY for that. Like, all of DFW suburbs are thr least NIMBY areas I have ever seen, hence them getting relocations and growth. Edmond, being super, super NIMBY, gets neither. They are fairly stagnant, development-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    They are too NIMBY for that. Like, all of DFW suburbs are thr least NIMBY areas I have ever seen, hence them getting relocations and growth. Edmond, being super, super NIMBY, gets neither. They are fairly stagnant, development-wise.
    The Nimby culture in Edmond will hurt the city and it's long term sustainability. It will always be a bedroom community if they do not want to grow and prosper. It will eventually decline. Anyone that is against growth for a city should be aware this will hurt them long term. If Plano, Frisco, Prosper can do it, then I do not see why Edmond would not be able too!

The Nimby culture in Edmond will hurt the city and it's long term sustainability. It will always be a bedroom community if they do not want to grow and prosper. It will eventually decline. Anyone that is against growth for a city should be aware this will hurt them long term. If Plano, Frisco, Prosper can do it, then I do not see why Edmond would not be able too!
    But they bought a house there 20 years ago and apparently along with that comes the right to not have to see any new structure go up within view from their back porch! And if the developer-friendly city council is going to allow such a travesty, there at least needs to be a 200ft buffer with a redwood forest and a 20ft high masonry wall at the property line!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    One of the first Seattle-style (for lack of a better term) coffee shops was called Uncommon Grounds. Opened in very early entertainment-district Bricktown circa '89 or '90 and lasted until (I think) the late aughts, until the landlord tried to double or triple their rent. It was a cozy spot; the kind of place Bricktown needs more not less of.
    Loved Uncommon Grounds, used to frequent it when I went downtown in the early 2000’s

Working within the city government and not speaking on its behalf. You are correct.

The residential growth will happen. That’s not stopping. Without redefining the city’s trajectory with business growth sales tax will suffer and the NIMBY residents can and will reap what they sow when the level of city services they’ve become accustomed to degrades.

Pot holes? Sorry. Medical emergency? Sorry all fire apparatus ate busy and EMSA is, well EMSA. Need to report a suspicious person in your neighborhood to police? Sorry police staffing won’t have the tax base to grow so you can wait an hour or two like in other cities.

Edmond with its size ant location has enormous untapped potential. But it’s going to take a Mayor and Council with common sense to do what needs to actually be done to take that leap.

Thread Information