Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: News 9, Griffin Communications Moving To Downtown Oklahoma City

Default News 9, Griffin Communications Moving To Downtown Oklahoma City

https://www.news9.com/story/60ec5ea1...-oklahoma-city
    OKLAHOMA CITY - Griffin Communications announced plans Monday to move its headquarters and News 9 to downtown Oklahoma City.
    The move will cost more than $25 million, taking News 9's studios, newsroom and corporate headquarters downtown -- just across from the Myriad Gardens, the Colcord and Prairie Surf Studios. Griffin Communications has purchased the Century Center, the current home of The Oklahoman newspaper, Mahogany steak house, the downtown YMCA and others.

"Downtown is the heart and soul of Oklahoma City," said Griffin Communications CEO David Griffin. "We just think that a television station is better served reflecting our community being in its heart and soul."

Griffin Communications is working with the businesses currently in the Century Center, including the newspaper, to ensure they have space in the building and to ensure they will remain tenant of the center. The investment in downtown will include $10 million in renovations, adding new broadcast and information technology equipment, fiber optics and security upgrades. The company announced plans to create the state's first 'Media Innovation Collective,' bringing together both for-profit and nonprofit news organizations.

Default Re: News 9, Griffin Communications Moving To Downtown Oklahoma City

Wow.

Thanks for sharing.

I suspect they will be taking most of the Oklahoman's space, which is at least half empty.

And on top of that, many of their employees have been working remotely.

Griffin Communications will go before the city's Downtown TIF Review Committee July 14 to discuss an incentive package to help offset some of those moving costs.
    After TIF money was already spent on moving the Oklahoman to this very building.

https://twitter.com/StormeJones/stat...05589620133888
    Griffin says closing is set for the beginning of August. Demo will begin in September.

I heard this rumor back in 2016 or so when I worked for a competing station. (Basically after they finished building the Tulsa Downtown Studio) I guess they finally decided to move forward since office space is so widely available.

It is cool they are moving, so curious what that new studio/station is going to be like.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I suspect they will be taking most of the Oklahoman's space, which is at least half empty.

After TIF money was already spent on moving the Oklahoman to this very building.
    Did the Oklahoman qualify under the TIF terms and did they get the full amount? Isn't it based on performance criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Did the Oklahoman qualify under the TIF terms and did they get the full amount? Isn't it based on performance criteria?
    There was a general economic development and relocation fund established as part of the Devon-mandated TIF.

And yes, the Oklahoman received the full $1.5 million.

That was in addition to the $2 million the developers received for the Century Center renovation.

I'm curious where the News9 helicopter will be housed?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I'm curious where the News9 helicopter will be housed?
    I'm sure they'll keep their facility out on Britton, as they will still need the antenna and transmitter.

Blog Entries

Where will the Oklahoman go?

HangryHippo Guest

It’s staying put as a tenant.

There was a general economic development and relocation fund established as part of the Devon-mandated TIF.

And yes, the Oklahoman received the full $1.5 million.

That was in addition to the $2 million the developers received for the Century Center renovation.
    i believe that the Oklahoman was the first business to ever receive this money as a non building owners (ie a renter)

at least griffin is actually buying the building ....

The only available space in that complex is where the Oklahoman is located.

They had been trying to sub-lease most of their 2nd level...

Maybe Channel 9 will take that entire floor or the Oklahoman will consolidate upstairs with 9 on the first level.

The Oklahoman built a broadcast studio on the first floor that went into mothballs a long time ago. 9 will have to build their own studio(s).

Not long ago, I toured the new Channel 4 facility and it's very impressive; I suspect 9 wants to do something similar.

It makes more sense for the TV station to be on the ground floor.

The NBC affiliate in St. Louis is downtown and they make ample use of huge windows, as well as regularly assembling crowds outside for more light hearted moments of their morning and lunchtime broadcasts (like Today, Good Morning America etc. do in New York). It's a cool setup to have regular local TV in an urban setting. I suspect Channel 9 will reap benefits from this move.

^

Yes, it does make sense to be on the ground floor. The Oklahoman promised all types of activity at street level with their studio, which is now defunct.

Also, the paper doesn't have many visitors while a TV station does; would be far easier for Channel 9 to welcome people through what is now the Oklahoman's entrance along Robinson.

Blog Entries

The 9/Oklahoman link is interesting because if you remember, the two companies shared content for quite a while and all the videos on the Oklahoman website were produced in the 9 studios.

Then, the Oklahoman decided to go its own way and built their new studio downtown with their new offices.

Now, Channel 9 is their landlord and I bet they end up taking over the Oklahoman studio.

I don't have any insight into this at all, but as a pleb I think this is really "cool" and "neat". It feels substantial to have a new studio downtown and I hope they do make some element of this publicly visible and potentially interactable. I was just riding the streetcar the other weekend and we passed this building and it looks really neat, but it was disappointing knowing the actual state its in. I think this could really elevate that corner even further if they're interested.

Does the city own the parking above and below the two floors of office space

Blog Entries

Don't believe so

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Don't believe so
    Ok I assumed the city owned the parking as it’s advertised as a city garage through embark

The city does own all the parking at the Century Center, so Channel 9 won't be buying that.

Griffin built KOTV/News on 6 from the ground up in Tulsa in 2013 or so?. It also wasn't that far of a move from their old studios.

This is quite a move from the tower farm and other TV stations in OKC. KOCO, KFOR, KWTV, OETA, and FOX 25 are all within a few miles of each other off of Britton and Wilshire all near the Broadway Extension.

The location and traffic at times may impact how quickly they can get to other places in the metro, outside of downtown, compared to their competition. I imagine they will keep the helipad and some engineering services at the Kelley and Wilshire location?

25. Default Re: News 9, Griffin Communications Moving To Downtown Oklahoma City

Wonder if it's possible for Griffin to buy the Oklahoman?

Thread Information