Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: News 9, Griffin Communications Moving To Downtown Oklahoma City

1. Default Re: News 9, Griffin Communications Moving To Downtown Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by riflesforwatie View Post
    …Anyway, if we thought about development in a way that didn't always prioritize/encourage sprawl, I think the necessity of TIFs would be far less than it is today, because Downtown's other natural advantages (network effects, central location, public investment, and more) would quickly become apparent.
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. If we would ever properly address land use policy to discourage (or at the very least to disincentivize) development at the fringe, TIF would be less necessary. If we’d done it years ago it DEFINITELY wouldn’t be necessary.

Instead, we sold our collective souls to auto-centric, cheap and tacky sprawl in a way that all but guaranteed we’d eventually have to incentivize urban development if we wanted to recreate and maintain a vibrant urban core, which any properly-functioning metropolitan area demands.

Default Re: News 9, Griffin Communications Moving To Downtown Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by Tydude View Post
    What are the going to do with the old studio and building once they move out? Are the going to use it to keep the helicopter or are the going to sell it?
    They will still need the communications equipment, but I bet they either lease out or demolish the building. The helicopter is just parked in a "shed" so I guess they will could keep it there also, but they could house it somewhere at Wiley Post where its closer to aviation resources. Not sure where the pilot and photo journalist will hang out at while they wait for a story though. They are going to be separated from their coworkers.

^

KFOR just completely demolished their old studio when the new one was ready.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    They will still need the communications equipment, but I bet they either lease out or demolish the building. The helicopter is just parked in a "shed" so I guess they will could keep it there also, but they could house it somewhere at Wiley Post where its closer to aviation resources. Not sure where the pilot and photo journalist will hang out at while they wait for a story though. They are going to be separated from their coworkers.
    Not sure if it would be doable but would be cool. But they should turn the round part of the roof around the vehicle ramps on the century center garage into a helipad. This is currently just unused portion of the roof. Just a wild out there idea that probably wouldn’t work

Blog Entries

I like how you're thinking, but seems dicey trying to lower yourself between buildings the way the wind currents whip around. Not that it's particularly close to anything, but just seems non-optimal...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-15 150817.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	16969

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I like how you're thinking, but seems dicey trying to lower yourself between buildings the way the wind currents whip around. Not that it's particularly close to anything, but just seems non-optimal...

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-15 150817.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	16969
    Just was fun thinking. Don’t think they will move that downtown. I think they refuel at Wiley post already. I’ve seen it land there several times before but figure it will stay where it currently is.

Also I don’t think hotel guests on both East and west sides would appreciate the sound of a helicopter taking off at random hours of the day

I remember when News 9 remodeled their current studio and thinking it looked so slick and modern. Excited to see what their new studios look like!

I am not. I wish they would go back to the look they had in the 70's/ early 80's.....

Blog Entries

TIF for this passed this morning

TIF for this passed this morning
    Every single TIF and economic development incentive package has passed city council for at least the last 15 years and probably ever.

Blog Entries

And, unfortunately, the vote is not close.

^

Because the economic development people meet with council members privately and even though an official vote isn't taken, they enlist support before the matter at hand ever becomes public and long before the city council meeting when a formal vote is taken.

I say all this not as a judgment, but as a statement of fact after talking extensively to the city attorney, Alliance personnel, and several current and former members of the council.

In their slight defense they probably didn't foresee their acquisition when they made those promises.
    Even if they did not know exactly what was going to happen in the next five years around 2015, by then it had been at least a decade since it has been pretty widely noticed newspapers business models were having issues coping with the internet era, and management probably should have noticed years before then.

Blog Entries

Absolutely, but I was under the impression with the studio etc that that was going to be their remediation (for bettter or worse).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Because the economic development people meet with council members privately and even though an official vote isn't taken, they enlist support before the matter at hand ever becomes public and long before the city council meeting when a formal vote is taken.

I say all this not as a judgment, but as a statement of fact after talking extensively to the city attorney, Alliance personnel, and several current and former members of the council.
    You're right, Pete. That happens with all of government boards and stuff. They always get around the quorum rule to debate in private then vote in public.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    You're right, Pete. That happens with all of government boards and stuff. They always get around the quorum rule to debate in private then vote in public.
    Just so people understand, some states have specific laws to stop this practice.

Oklahoma's law is much more open to interpretation.

https://journalrecord.com/2022/08/19...ving-downtown/

Hadn't seen an update on this in a while, finally saw one last week. Looks like they start moving in October, the first broadcast is aiming to be the Sunday after November elections and the helicopter and pilot will be based out of Sundance Airport.

There was an accident with a crane today that damaged the screen. I think it may have been the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by jccouger View Post
    There was an accident with a crane today that damaged the screen. I think it may have been the old one.
    Yes they were attempting to remove the old curve billboard sign

Well here is what is going to be happening with the old channel 9 building. I wish they would just stay put where they are as not everyone gives a rip about stupid downtown OKC it is NOT the be all end all but anyway here is the information!!

Amanda Taylor
    What a great night celebrating Langston University and the future of journalism! We went to their gala where our KWTV - NEWS 9 owner, David Griffin, was honored. He is GIVING the school our current news station!!! And all the equipment in it stays as well. It will soon be home to Langston journalism students.

edit: Beaten! Lol

Name:	xGv78wl.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	17702

Apparently Griffins owner is giving Langston University the old News9 studio and all their equipment. Wow what a get.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post

Name:	xGv78wl.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	17702

Apparently Griffins owner is giving Langston University the old News9 studio and all their equipment. Wow what a get.

This is MONUMENTAL! What a great gift to Langston and the entire State. We need diversity in our visual messaging and Griffin Communications has catapulted Oklahoma towards inclusion in broadcast media never before envisioned. Wow, THANK YOU Mr. Griffin

Wow!! Truly a life changing gift. Well done Mr. Griffin!

25. Default Re: News 9, Griffin Communications Moving To Downtown Oklahoma City

Wow! The sudden change in mood about Ch.9 on the thread went from cold to hot so fast!

Thread Information