Widgets Magazine

Thread: Building upstairs kitchenette

Default Building upstairs kitchenette

Hi all,
    Recently moved to the area and <finally> under contract on a house. Current market is crazy! Even putting aside cost, the inventory was so low it made it nightmarishly hard to find something that met our needs.

One big renovation we need to do shortly after closing is to build a small kitchen/kitchenette (stove, sink, fridge). Water is reasonably accessible (bathroom is adjacent). We spoke with one remodeler already who sent us a quote that seemed a little high to me - 25k - given we're looking for something small and basic. That said, its a crazy time right now. I don't know how much materials shortages drove up that cost. It also became clear they were not intending to pull permits and when we asked they indicated it would cost substantially more which got me...suspicious. Couple questions:
    1) I moved from an area where permits are needed for <everything> and if you skip out it becomes a huge PITA down the road, causes trouble when you try to sell, etc. Is this the case here? I'd admittedly feel a little differently if we were talking new countertops or cabinets or something, but any time plumbing and electric are involved or I'm cutting holes in the roof to vent I feel like this is something where permits become more an expectation. Am I being unreasonable?
    2) Any specific recommendations for contractors? The one we went with has worked with our realtor, but hoping to get at least a few different quotes.

Default Re: Building upstairs kitchenette

I think it is critical that you tell what city (if any) you are in. I recall some, such as Nichols Hills, only allow tradesmen who are licensed in their city to perform work there. And they are thought to be very aggressive on permitting, etc.

You might think in terms of square foot cost of these renovations. Could possibly help gain perspective on both cost and resale benefit.

Ah - sorry. Thought I had posted this in the Edmond-specific forum, but the home would be in Edmond.

Kitchenette area would be pretty small. Maybe 100-120 sf?

I would think it is possible in this market that upstairs renovation in Edmond could cost $200/SF or more with all permitting and inspection costs included.

Isn't there some rule about kitchens and bathrooms being next to each other? Something like a bathroom can't be straight off a kitchen, or a bathroom can't be the only access to a kitchen?

Hmm. Well we are hoping to get a few more estimates so we'll see.

What you describe shouldn't really apply here. The bathroom isn't going to be the access or anything like that. Its a bedroom, bathroom and bonus room connected by a hallway and we're talking about converting a portion of the bonus room to a kitchenette area. Wouldn't really be any different a setup than you'd see in a typical 1 bedroom apartment.

Thread Information